276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Poison Tree: the addictive , twisty debut psychological thriller from the million-copy bestselling author

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Paul reminds Louisa of a man she knew long ago. Although they are twenty years apart in age, each recognizes that they’ve lived very similar lives. Both are solitary individuals, each losing a parent and becoming dependent on other people to make their lives happier. Paul’s friend Daniel protected him from bullies when they were younger, and when Paul discovers a weakness in his friend, he feels the need to protect him in return. Louisa was obsessed with a man she simply can’t get out of her mind, and when this incredible author blends these two storylines together, the reader can not only see the fireworks, but can feel them, as well.

Is any part of this novel autobiographical, or is it wholly imagined? Would you say that you were—or are—more like Karen or Biba? Anyway. Such behavior makes them move to a different place, where he was treated like a normal student, but not for long. The bullying started again soon by some nasty students, but then Paul makes a friend called Daniel.Why is she hiding? Or more like WHAT is she hiding? We don't know. She has this weird ritual now and then, where she gets herself drunk and watches Adam's videos and listens to his songs and cries. Clearly he's dead, but why is she doing all of this? We don't know. Biba and Rex live in a run-down old house that used to belong to their parents. Their mother committed suicide, and their father is a movie executive who wants nothing to do with them. As the days go by, they ask Karen to move in, and they spend the summer drinking and having fun. Rex and Karen begin a relationship, and Biba begins a relationship with a young man named Guy, whom no one likes.

British journalist Erin Kelly’s debut suspense novel is a richly shaded work crammed with atmosphere, quirky characters and intricate plotting. Another sweltering month in Charlotte, another boatload of mysteries past and present for overworked, overstressed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. It might sound strange but I found writing a dark novel reassuring rather than disturbing. I felt very vulnerable when I was pregnant, very aware that nothing was under my control, from the size of my belly to the big bad world my baby would be born into. Writing The Poison Tree allowed me to exercise total control, even if only over a fictional world.What is the meaning of this? What is the entire plot even about? Louisa and Paul die? Just like that? A tasty, if not always tasteful, tale of supernatural mayhem that fans of King and Crichton alike will enjoy. Louisa.. Louisa.. Alan recollects the name. Memories starts coming to him. His already existing headache worsens tenfold when he starts remembering everything and.. He screams. And we won't know any of it, what Louisa is hiding or how/why did the murder happen to which Paul was a witness, until half of the book. And the half was all about Paul and Louisa meeting and getting to know each other. And also having a relationship! Daniel is quiet. Without any friends. And Paul soon realises Daniel has knowledge but he is an illiterate. He can't read or write. So they make a deal. Paul will be helping him manage his life being an illiterate, and Daniel will be his bodyguard, watching out for him whenever he is in trouble.

but - yeah- this book - a great diversion, definitely captivating, good characters. i don't know that i would encourage anyone to own it, but it would be an excellent library loaner. it is a fairly uncomplicated story about cause and effect, with some odd human behavior thrown in. just a lot of me second-guessing the characters with "why didn't she..." and "but why not simply..." I don't get these kids from schools. How can you get the satisfaction from bullying a kid for witnessing his father's death? For being without his father? Are you even human? (>.<) there are many wonderfully tiny details that please the reader, and it is a fairly satisfying, if a little too convenient, mystery/suspense novel.it is always nice to have two characters whose every wrong turn is so darn obvious, and you can only shake your head and say, "oh no - don't do that!!!" if only it were so obvious in real life... Very strongly reminiscent of Barbara Vine's A FATAL INVERSION, the main events of THE POISON TREE are set in a rambling old house in Highgate during the summer of 1997, when Tony Blair became Prime Minister of Britain for the first time, and, at summer's end, when Princess Diana died. These matters are of little concern, however, to Karen Clarke, a linguistics student coming up to the final exams of her degree course at the (fictional) Queen Charlotte's College, London. Up to that point, Karen regards herself as having a boring life, the only child of anxiously loving parents, and renting a room in a house with some identikit female students for the previous two or three years. Karen's boyfriend Simon, a fellow-student and rugger player whom she doesn't really like, ends their relationship as the novel begins, leaving Karen at loose ends for the summer as her flatmates decamp for a long holiday after Finals. Wandering round the college corridors, Karen bumps into Biba, a drama student who is urgently seeking someone to teach her German as her part in a play demands it. Immediately attracted to this eccentric and glamorous-seeming girl, Karen visits Biba at her family home, a rambling, decrepit but beautiful old mansion in north London, and in the process of the German lessons, falls for the whole thing - the house, the casual ambience as exotic characters drift in and out, and of course Biba and her brother Rex.And all this time Paul was simply gaping at him, didn't try stopping him fearing he'd get caught in the camera. yeah, it's all there. and i feel like i have written this review before, for all the books chasing donna tartt's tail. and i was nineteen or thereabouts when i read secret history. i remember being riveted at my temp job, sitting in front of the usually silent phone, occasionally being roused from the text to crisply say "stewart, tabori and chang" into the mouthpiece. but since then, i have met so many people who have been really ho-hum about it. am i wrong? is my memory of it making it out to be something better than it is? was i just impressed at the time because it was something "new" tossed into the previously mild pool of my reading up to that point? Apparently a family of four visit the garden to have a family time. It is from the father's perspective. It doesn't take a brain to guess who it might be. At first Biba, Kate and Rex get on swimmingly, but things start to go wrong when Kate finds out about her friends' father, a rich man who has given up on them and wants to evict them from the house. In the present day story, Rex struggles to adjust to life outside, and someone is watching him, Kate and their daughter. Rex is keeping his identity secret, but this seemed wildly optimistic from the start, and it soon becomes clear that the neighbours are suspicious Meanwhile, in the past, events move to a homicidal climax.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment