276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Finding Myself in Puglia: A Journey of Self-Discovery Under the Warm Southern Italian Sun

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

With bell towers sprouting out of cathedrals, and a Roman amphitheatre, Lecce brings it with the architecture too. A port city, Brindisi doesn’t have quite the same photographic appeal as some of the other must-visit places in Puglia, but there are still a few things to do here, such as visitors the tall standing Monumento al Marinaio ‘d’Italia, the 13th-century castle, and taking in the Roman Columns on the square atop a grand staircase. Inside Otranto, beyond the bathing opportunities and the massive castle complex, the Otranto Cathedral is well worth a visit, even if you are feeling a bit over Cathedrals.

in Puglia | CN Traveller The best places to visit in Puglia | CN Traveller

We even saw part of windowsill fall while we were there, but happily heard that isn’t a common occurrence — a stunning city and a must-visit in Puglia. It is also almost certain to be higher (or supplemented by a 'terraza' charge) if you choose to dine in the outdoors space provided by a restaurant, rather than inside. When Janet and I were picking up our rental car in Brindisi Airport, I saw an image of this blissful looking craggy bathing spot on the back wall of the hire office. My wife and I are traveling to Puglia in late-September ’21 and are beginning the process of identifying modest properties somewhere in the region so that we may become more frequent visitors.Discover the enchanting region of Puglia (also known as Apulia), nestled in the southern ‘heel’ of Italy. The old town is situated on a little island and is connected to the mainland by a 16th century bridge. The old town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, consists of a maze of streets and steps lined by trulli; drystone dwellings that were built using prehistoric techniques. Some of them have been converted into restaurants, making it an unforgettable seaside lunch experience.

places to visit in Puglia on a self-drive Guide to the best places to visit in Puglia on a self-drive

It unfortunately meant that we pulled up to what we thought as a beautiful beach area on a couple of occasions, only to find it an explosion of signs, sunbeds and people, meaning we didn't even get out of the car. This stretch of the Adriatic coastline is quite rocky, with a sprinkling of sandy beaches, coves and villages such as Cozze, Mola di Bari, Torre Canne, Savelletri and Villanova. A large part of the peninsula is occupied by the Gargano National Park (the most extensive national park in Italy), where visitors can enjoy hikes through the beautiful forests.

This remarkable city, one of the longest inhabited in the world, the 2019 European City of Culture, and the filming location for the latest Bond film, is a no-brainer when planning your Puglia road trip. The 140km coastline, lapped by crystalline waters, has dramatic cliffs interspersed with white, sandy beaches and charming fishing towns. If you’re dropping by Torre Canne, I recommend a meal at Vico Pescatori or grab the famous octopus sandwich at La Baia. Of course, you have to do a tasting after any wine tour, and the delicious mix of reds, whites and roses all went down a treat, even at ten in the morning.

Finding Myself in Puglia By Laine B Brown | Used

Windsurfing was in full swing though, and it’s no surprise that makes it a popular destination in Puglia for those who want to get airborne. There are two main airports, Bari and Brindisi, which operate year-round but have more flights during the summer. We didn’t spend much time in Brindisi, other than a quick pit-stop after our late night flight arrival. Top tip // There’s nothing like learning to make fresh pasta, from scratch, with your own two hands (although we must admit, having taken three classes thus far, we’re still a long way from being experts!Located in the Terra delle Gravine Regional Natural Park (alongside Laterza and Mottola, two other delightful off-the-beaten-track canyon towns), this is a land of scars from the deep cuts and crevices of ravines and canyons formed millions of years ago, and the pockmarks of hundreds of human cave settlements carved within the soft tufa rock slopes. The top attractions in Mesagne include the ornate Chiesa di Sant’Anna, Chiesa Matrice Parrocchia Tutti i Santi (All Saints Church) and the Ugo Granafei Archeological Museum (with Roman mosaics, housed in an 11th century castle).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment