276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Wandering Warrior Existence (My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

John Lewis was a personal hero of mine- his death broke my heart. He was one of the most powerful change agents this country has ever known. I hope you’ll give MARCH a read and commit to causing good trouble in his memory. This is my fourth of five autobiographical manga I have read by Kabi Nagata. As with some other autobiographical or memoir comics artists, she seems to be--book after book--chronicling her life, as it goes, book after book. I think of three people immediately to compare this work to: Lucy Knisley, Michael Rabagliati, and Keiler Roberts, though there are many more. This series stands out in that the work is easily the most intense, the most explicitly troubled. Not without occasional self-deprecating humor--she knows she is unlike most people--Nagata is ruthlessly honest about her various life struggles. This book is less a tale of events than an essay about the search for love. One event does get narrated, a sexual assault that occurred when she was eight, and this stands out, but almost nothing else really happens except a remarkable focus on her identity in various nodes. The "triggering" event for Nagata is attending--for the first time!--a friend's wedding, and wondering why she can't have that, too, this love thang. She had doubted it really existed, sent a query out to her internet followers, who confirmed that yes, indeed, love is possible. Oct 25 Yearning Teens, Frustrated Romance, Pretty Skies — Is There Anything Else to Makoto Shinkai?

My Wandering Warrior Existence by Nagata Kabi | Waterstones

The sequel to My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, My Solo Exchange Diary (Japanese: 一人交換日記, Hitori kōkan nikki), was published in Japanese later in the same year, 2016, and in English in 2018. While continuing to explore the themes of My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, My Solo Exchange Diary is based on the concept of diary entries or letters that Nagata exchanges with her former and future self. [3] Its second volume, titled My Solo Exchange Diary 2 (一人交換日記2) was released in Japanese in 2017 and in English in 2019. She spends the rest of this manga wondering how come she’s so broken, why she fears human beings to such an extent, even those she’s come to know reasonably well, and why she’s unable to understand other people’s motives. She opens up about her issues regarding gender identity: she doesn’t like being a woman (“I don’t like breasts, bras or periods, and I wear men’s underwear”), but she doesn’t want to be a man. She admits that she isn’t even sure if she’s a lesbian (to be fair, despite the title of her first autobiographical manga, ‘My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness’, her being a lesbian was incidental there); she considers that maybe she chose to visit lesbian prostitutes because she’s more comfortable among women, but that it may not speak much about her sexual preferences. The authoress is still dealing with recovering post her alcohol episode and finding a new fascination in her life.This series really took me by surprise! A seemingly shy girl secretly spends her days tweeting about a fantasy relationship with the most popular boy in school (who doesn’t know she exists). He seems like the ideal dreamboat, except it turns out he’s a rude brat! This story is filled with characters who turn the classic shoujo tropes on their heads, and it’s really refreshing to see friendships and romances form between characters that are flawed, but ultimately very likeable.

My Wandering Warrior Existence (My Lesbian Experience with

So, for starters, Kabata arranges, with the support of her parents, to be professionally photographed in an elaborate ballroom-stye wedding dress, a bizarre event that not surprisingly leaves her sad. Why do that?! But the point is one Nagata has not thought about before Why can't I have love?! The dress for many symbolizes love, but she begins with the dress! There isn’t much to My Wandering Warrior Existence. She goes to a friend’s wedding and decides she wants to wear a wedding dress and pose for photos so she does. Then she tries a dating app. That’s about it for stuff that happens. Seven Seas Licenses Nagata Kabi's MY ALCOHOLIC ESCAPE FROM REALITY Manga". Seven Seas Entertainment. 2020-04-24. I was kind of surprised to see so many people rate this manga so highly. It's nowhere near as good as her debut, and even if you're unfamiliar with her work, I dont see how this volume would make you want to read anything else she's written.She talks about her trust issues being at the root of why she’s so inexperienced with relationships, originating with a sexual assault when she was 6, which is understandable. But, I’m sorry, it’s so not interesting to read about someone figuring out how relationships work. She literally explains that people spending time with each other can learn about each other and, over time, develop feelings of affection for one another that can be called “love”. I guess for me the entire manga felt disjointed and shallow. Maybe she could've included some research she did on the various topics she was thinking about, people she spoke to, or even revealed any insights she had had while in therapy. Anything substantive!

Seven Seas Licenses Nagata Kabi’s MY WANDERING WARRIOR

The author brings up confusion about her sexuality, her gender, and why she thinks she hasn't been able to love so far. Fascinatingly, she didn't know that all-encompassing romantic love was real until adulthood. This is a title I haven’t read, but repeatedly came up in any conversation I’ve had about undiscovered gems the past few years. Mark Russell is a rising name in the comics world and I’m very interested in grabbing this deluxe hardcover.

Popular Posts

My two boys love to invent creative “detective missions” to solve around the house, and I feel like this is the perfect little book to put in their hands for them to enjoy and spark their imagination.

My Wandering Warrior Existence (Manga review) - Yuri Stargirl My Wandering Warrior Existence (Manga review) - Yuri Stargirl

Seven Seas Licenses Nagata Kabi's MY WANDERING WARRIOR EXISTENCE Manga". Seven Seas Entertainment. 2022-05-20.My lesbian experience with loneliness" and "my solo exchange diary" are interesting works for two reasons: first, they are willing to take risks, because the author is unafraid of her flaws in the moment of writing-- clearly both works were made in a similar time frame and are completely drenched in the strength of the scathing feelings of Kabi-sensei towards herself, others, and her life. Secondly, both books are brilliantly drawn, especially "My solo exchange diary". Now, this is interesting, I think, because you can see the quality of the art drops sharply in the second volume, along with Kabi-sensei's mental and physical health. On a surface level this reflects the mind of the author, but on a deeper level I think this is recognizable as an artistic risk. Here, even at a low point, Kabi-sensei continues to express, even though she knows the drawings are not as good as they used to be. As an artist and author I can admire that Kabi-sensei is willing to expose herself in "My solo exchange diary"'s second volume, because that takes an extraordinary amount of courage. You can lambast Kabi-sensei if you want for "selling her life" or "selling her family" in her memoirs, but I see "Exchange diary"'s second volume as a hallmark of artistic persistence. The simple art is completed regardless of Kabi's failing mental health. The simple art is shared even though it is not Kabi's best. and Kabi maintains the potential for momentum. What makes Kabi Nagata’s stories so unique is their blunt and raw approach in a way unusual in fiction coming from Japan.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment