276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Romanov

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love when books cause me to think, feel and also to learn. I did learn some facts while reading this book and I found I often wanted to put the book down and think about what I had just read. Mainly because things in this book really happened. Sitting and thinking about the horrible treatment of this family (especially the girls) and what they endured -living in constant fear and dread, I can't even imagine.

Race to Save the Romanovs - Helen Rappaport The Race to Save the Romanovs - Helen Rappaport

My next visit to Moscow took place after the fall of Yekaterinburg. Talking to Sverdlov I asked in passing, "Oh yes and where is the Tsar?" "It's all over," he answered. "He has been shot." "And where is his family?" "And the family with him." "All of them?" I asked, apparently with a touch of surprise. "All of them," replied Yakov Sverdlov. "What about it?" He was waiting to see my reaction. I made no reply. "And who made the decision?" I asked. "We decided it here. Ilyich [Lenin] believed that we shouldn't leave the Whites a live banner to rally around, especially under the present difficult circumstances." [24] a b Coble, Michael D.; etal. (2009). "Mystery solved: the identification of the two missing Romanov children using DNA analysis". PLOS ONE. 4 (3): e4838. Bibcode: 2009PLoSO...4.4838C. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0004838. PMC 2652717. PMID 19277206. I do recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Romanov history, of course, but be prepared- this is not a fairy tale! I would also recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction in general. This book will most likely spark your curiosity about the Romanov family and you will want to learn more about this them, and the events leading up to their capture, exile, and murders. Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine (1864–1918), killed at the same time as her imperial relatives With Candace Fleming's excellent book, it's hard to imagine walking away with the same lessons. She doesn't shy away from including the family's flaws (and boy, howdy, those were some bone-deep flawed people) and doesn't get overly caught up in fawning over their picturesque lives. (Faberge eggs don't come up once, for instance.) Better yet, she includes stories of the world outside their lives of luxury, and many chapters end with eyewitness accounts of the poverty and hardship the less privileged multitudes experienced. By including the stories of the common people in Russia, it becomes strikingly clear just why revolution appealed to the nation. And by tracing the political interests of the different factions, she makes it easy to follow how the revolution happened.a b Luke Harding (25 August 2007). "Bones found by Russian builder finally solve riddle of the missing Romanovs". The Guardian . Retrieved 13 March 2017.

The Romanov Royal Martyrs | The Book The Romanov Royal Martyrs | The Book

It is interesting to note that it was not until July 2007 that the remains of Alexei and of one of his sisters were finally found. (The remains of the other five family members had been uncovered in 1991.) It's kind of easy to see how the Bolshevik came to the decision that the tsar had to go. During the first part of the book, I kept thinking that it made sense that they would have to take out the family as well. Can't leave anyone alive that the White Army (tsarists fighting against the Bolshevik rule) might be able to claim as Tsar. Plus, Nicholas brought all this on himself and his family. This was all his fault. But as the family huddled in their prison, it got harder to read about the final days. In the end, I can't really get behind the killing of the rest of the family and their servants. A survey conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center on 11 July 2018 revealed that 57% of Russians "believe that the execution of the Royal family is a heinous unjustified crime", while 29% said "the last Russian emperor paid too high a price for his mistakes". Among those aged between 18 and 24, 46% believe that Nicholas II had to be punished for his mistakes. Only 3% of Russians "were certain that the Royal family's execution was the public's just retribution for the emperor's blunders". [186] On the centenary of the murders, over 100,000 pilgrims took part in a procession led by Patriarch Kirill in Yekaterinburg, marching from the city center where the Romanovs were murdered to a monastery in Ganina Yama. [187] There is a widespread legend that the remains of the Romanovs were completely destroyed at the Ganina Yama during the ritual murder and a profitable pilgrimage business developed there. Therefore, the found remains of the martyrs, as well as the place of their burial in the Porosyonkov Log, are ignored. [188] On the eve of the centennial, the Russian government announced that its new probe had confirmed once again that the bodies were the Romanovs’. The state also remained aloof from the commemoration, as President Vladimir Putin considers Nicholas II a weak ruler. [189] See also [ edit ] As the imperial couple maintained a lifestyle of extravagance subsidized by Russia's massive monetary reserve, attending dazzling soirees on a regular basis and moving from one cavernous palace to another as the seasons changed, the lower classes were becoming discontent with the status quo. Millions of peasants rotted in the streets, working physically torturous and often deadly jobs that paid too little to keep a single person in bread, let alone a family. Children had to work a job if they wanted to eat, forgoing education to help their families survive another week. The middle class didn't fare much better, but peasants endured the worst hardship, and their meager income was leached to funnel money toward the palace treasury for upkeep of the Romanov family. The downtrodden in Russia had been in dire straits for years, but under Nicholas the crisis reached its flash point, when the huddled masses would not silently endure their suffering any longer. Alexander III had been a strict czar, though fair enough in the minds of his commoners, and they turned to his successor with the hope that an earnest petition to Nicholas to help them improve their quality of life would be graciously received by a ruler with his people's interests at heart. Would Nicholas hear the peasants and ease their affliction? This is the personal account of the family of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra as told by their children’s French-language tutor. Gilliard, who spent the years 1905-1918 in the bosom of the imperial family, came to know the family well, and hence had nearly unprecedented access to them. Gilliard succeeds in fleshing out the personalities of the ill-fated family who were devoted to each other, to God, and to Russia. He also highlights in vivid detail the impact of the Tsarevich Alexis’s hemophilia on him, his family, and most especially his distraught mother. Thanks to Gilliard, we come to understand the impact Rasputin had on the Tsarina and her hemophiliac son, whose illness was a closely guarded secret.A comprehensive and lengthy study of the three-hundred-year rule of the Romanov dynasty, with particular attention paid to the reign of Russia’s last Tsar, Nicholas II. Lincoln, who was a professor of Russian history at Northern Illinois University, succeeds in bringing to life the sweeping saga of the Romanovs from their beginning in the seventeenth century with the accession to the throne of Michael I to the end with the abdication of Nicholas II in 1917 and onwards to the executions of the imperial family in 1918. Over the course of 84 days after the Yekaterinburg murders, 27 more friends and relatives (14 Romanovs and 13 members of the imperial entourage and household) [165] were murdered by the Bolsheviks: at Alapayevsk on 18 July, [166] Perm on 4 September, [59] and the Peter and Paul Fortress on 24 January 1919. [165] Unlike the imperial family, the bodies at Alapayevsk and Perm were recovered by the White Army in October 1918 and May 1919 respectively. [59] [167] However, only the final resting places of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna and her faithful companion Sister Varvara Yakovleva are known today, buried alongside each other in the Church of Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem. VII 1918 при приближении к Екатеринбургу чехословацких контрреволюционных войск Николай II со всей семьей был расстрелян». – Большая советская энциклопедия / гл. ред. О. Ю. Шмидт. – Москва: Советская энциклопедия, 1926–. Т. 42: Нидерланды – Оклагома. – 1939. / статья: «Николай II» / кол. 137 Hopelessly romantic and hopelessly moving. A mix of lovestory thriller and historical fiction. Engrossing." The Observer But everything I read and learned was written with a lot of leeway given towards the Romanovs. If I learned much of anything about the conditions that led to their deaths, I forgot it years ago; my memories of learning about the Romanovs go along the lines of "Once upon a time, there was a rich, royal, tragic family, and Bolsheviks killed them in a cellar. And Anastasia didn't escape."

best books on the Romanovs and Tsar Nicholas II - Shepherd The best books on the Romanovs and Tsar Nicholas II - Shepherd

Figes, Orlando (1997). A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891–1924. Penguin Books. p. 638. ISBN 0-19-822862-7. Ivan Plotnikov, history professor at the Maksim Gorky Ural State University, has established that the executioners were Yakov Yurovsky, Grigory P. Nikulin, Mikhail A. Medvedev (Kuprin), Peter Ermakov, Stepan Vaganov, Alexey G. Kabanov (former soldier in the Tsar's Life Guards and Chekist assigned to the attic machine gun), [45] Pavel Medvedev, V. N. Netrebin, and Y. M. Tselms. Filipp Goloshchyokin, a close associate of Yakov Sverdlov, being a military commissar of the Uralispolkom in Yekaterinburg, however did not actually participate, and two or three guards refused to take part. [148] Pyotr Voykov was given the specific task of arranging for the disposal of their remains, obtaining 570 litres (130impgal; 150USgal) of gasoline and 180 kilograms (400lb) of sulphuric acid, the latter from the Yekaterinburg pharmacy. He was a witness but later claimed to have taken part in the murders, looting belongings from a dead grand duchess. [100] After the killings, he was to declare that "The world will never know what we did with them." Voykov served as Soviet ambassador to Poland in 1924, where he was assassinated by a Russian monarchist in July 1927. [104] Even though this non fiction book The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia is geared towards young adults more, this book is very readable for adults too as it gives you a very comprehensive overview of the history of Russia's politics around this time, but a fair majority of this book focuses on the Romanov family and the events that lead up to the end of the reign of Tsar Nicholas II.Jeffrey A. Frank (19 July 1992), "Reliving a Massacre", The Washington Post , retrieved 2 October 2016 But what’s really sad about the death of the Romanovs is that nothing got better for the Russian people. They still starved. They still had few freedoms. They were still rounded up and shipped to Siberia or slaughtered in mass numbers. Their soldiers went into the next war without enough rifles. And they were still ruled with an iron fist.

After the Romanovs: Russian exiles in Paris between the wars

i am absolutely obsessed with all things romanov. i couldnt tell you how many times i watched the animated film ‘anastasia’ as a girl. and what i thought was just a childhood phase has slowly become something of a passion, so you can imagine my excitement when this book came out earlier this year. Paul Gilbert (18 July 2014), Communists Lay Flowers at the Grave of the Murderer of Russia's Imperial Family, Royal Russia News, archived from the original on 2 February 2017 , retrieved 1 October 2016

Choosing the Best Books on The Romanovs

This novel is obviously a very ambitious undertaking. Giving voice to Anastasia, and Anna Anderson, describing minute historical details, adding authentic and vivid dialogue, along with solid pacing, and well-drawn characterizations. Only in Latin can one root word be the basis for myriad appalling descriptors. Horrible, vulgar, violent words. Brutish and masculine. I hate them all and the language from which they originated. Latin deserves to be a dead language, and I do not mourn it." (PG. 315)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment