276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Buzzin': The Nine Lives of a Happy Monday

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A whistle-stop tour of the man born Mark Berry’s 58 years on earth, it takes in urchin behaviour, homelessness, drugs, the Happy Mondays, more drugs, a near-fatal motorbike crash, new teeth, a kidnapping, bankruptcy, prison, stints on reality TV, standing to become a member of Parliament, and the Zen pleasures of beekeeping. The fact he’s even here today to recount it all is remarkable enough; that he manages to do so with what appears to be most of his marbles still intact frankly beggars belief. Bulbul, Nuray (6 February 2022). "Who is Bez's fiancee and how long have they been together?". Chelmsford Chronicle. Chelmsford . Retrieved 28 August 2022. Bez, the Happy Mondays’ chief maraca-shaker and an undisputed national treasure, has written a new memoir – and it will be published this autumn. When I got kidnapped, and held up by gunpoint and machetes, that was a massive turning point,” he says. The ordeal only lasted a few hours, but clearly affected him. “I didn’t want to keep living like this. I knew I had to do something else.”

Bez looks back: ‘I was a nightmare, even as a baby’ | Bez Bez looks back: ‘I was a nightmare, even as a baby’ | Bez

This is when, in a manner surely unreplicated by any other human who ever lived, he branched out. First, to stave off bankruptcy, he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother (2005), alongside Germaine Greer and Brigitte Nielsen, and won. When they too crashed and burned, Bez returned to old habits – small-time dealing. But supplying drugs on someone else’s patch very nearly proved the end of him. Bez married his partner fitness instructor Firouzeh Razavi 39 on 3 September 2022. The two had been in a relationship since 2014. Bez had made a Wooden Stonehenge for a Game of Thrones style wedding. [20] [21] In popular culture [ edit ] I think there was a failing there,” he says, “because I expected the case to be found in my favour. There was no evidence of assault. It was my word against [his girlfriend’s] word.” According to Bez, the two have a good relationship today, and share a son. “But I fought the law, and the law let me down.” Whatever he may say, the uncomfortable fact is that he was convicted. Three-quarters of all domestic abuse cases are closed early without the suspect being charged, according to a 2021 report. Mark Berry – forever known to the world as Bez– became the so-called Chemical Generation’s bug-eyed pied piper, every weekend leading millions out to oblivion and beyond, as they adopted his E-gobbling party lifestyle.By the time I was about 19, I decided I didn’t want to get caught up in the sort of shit I was doing again, so thought the best thing I could do was to have a huge adventure and go travelling. I lived in Morocco for a bit and was shoplifting just to survive; pinching bars of chocolate. I got chased out of town and had to hide in a cave for three weeks until the money I’d been waiting for arrived. You create your own reality, and travelling created one that completely changed my whole outlook on life.

Bez books and biography | Waterstones

In the comedy series Peep Show, Jeremy gets a mercy spot in a band called The Executioner's Bong as they tell him he can "get in on maracas". Jeremy protests, "I won't be Bez. I wanna be in there on merit!" When he bowled into Celebrity Big Brother in 2005, he ended up winning the series, as viewers came to understand his fundamental decency and sunny outlook. Mark Berry was born on 18 April 1964 in Bolton, Lancashire, [1] the son of parents from the Norris Green district of Liverpool. [2] His father was a detective inspector. [3] He grew up in Little Hulton and Walkden, before moving to live with his grandparents in Wigan at the age of 16. [4] Career [ edit ] Bez introducing Ziggy Marley at GuilFest in 2011 In a funny way,” says the father of three, and grandfather of one, “I’ve lived a charmed life. But, you know, like everyone else, I’m still two or three pay cheques away from being homeless again, and I never forget that. I worry about putting food on the table every day, so I’m in the job market. I’m open to offers.” Bez stood as a candidate for the Salford and Eccles constituency in the 2015 UK General Election. [16] The incumbent Member of Parliament (MP), Hazel Blears, announced her intention to stand down at the election. [17] Bez ran on a platform of "free energy, free food and free anything". [16] He received 703 votes (1.6% of the total turnout) which placed him in sixth position in the constituency. [18] The seat was won by the new Labour Party candidate, Rebecca Long-Bailey, who received 21,364 votes (49.4% of the total).Because Bez himself makes for an unreliable narrator, the book frequently gives paragraphs over to his Happy Monday comrade, Shaun Ryder, himself an unreliable narrator. “You could throw him out of a jumbo jet at 50,000 feet,” Ryder says of Bez, “and he’ll land on a mattress and walk away.” Bez and his family on a fishing trip in Cornwall (Photo: Supplied)

Bez from Happy Mondays to publish ‘completely mad’ memoir

In the sitcom The Royle Family, Antony announces that he will be managing a band called "Exit", which will partly be inspired by Happy Mondays, with one of the members doing an imitation of Bez. It’s just life, innit? I know people who’ve lived a life of high adventure; I always thought mine was f**king boring compared to theirs.” This is plain nonsense, for even a cursory dip into the book reveals the sort of tossed-aside snippets most other tomes might make a major feature of. “When I regained consciousness, I was in hospital,” he writes at one point. “I [then] caught the MRSA superbug, a really f**king nasty one.” He was in a coma for a month. “Multiple organ failures, heart failures, all sorts of shit going down. I was given the last rites.” When he attends an ayahuasca ceremony, he’s told: “We’ve never, ever encountered anybody who has as many hallucinations as you do.” And at some point after recovering from jaundice, pleurisy and hepatitis B, he is held hostage by “some c**t with a gun in my face”, more of which later.O'Mahony, Marsha (9 September 2022). "Happy Mondays star Bez marries long-term girlfriend in sleepy Herefordshire". Gloucestershire Echo. Gloucester . Retrieved 10 September 2022. ITV Dancing on Ice star Bez says he once lived in a cave to escape angry locals". 13 February 2022.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment