276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Outdoor Game Pocket Canvas Vest Vintage Men's Waistcoat Slim Fit Khaki Formal

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I removed 2 cm / 3/4” of length from the upper bust area, using the lengthen / shorten lines found on the pattern pieces. The pattern is drafted for a height of 165 cm / 5’5”, and I’m 163 cm / 5’4”, but I have a shorter torso for my height. Removing excess length from this are brought the dart points up to the correct spot on my body.

As this was my second time making the Veronica, I had a few pattern adjustments I wanted to make to improve the fit from my first version. I’ll briefly mention them here so you can reference them if you have a similar body type to mine. With the canvassing and the taping done, I pretty much just followed the instructions to sew the rest of the waistcoat. Other Construction DetailsOnce I was satisfied with the basting job and everything felt smooth and aligned, I moved on to taping the front edge. I used some 1 cm / 3/8” wide cotton twill tape I had in my stash, which I had pre-shrunk by submerging in water for 10 minutes and pressing it with a hot, dry iron. I aligned the tape with the edge of the canvas, which sat 1 cm away from the edge of the fabric. I sewed both sides of the tape down using a cross stitch and a felling stitch. The outer edge gets sewn onto the self fabric, while the inner edge gets sewn on to the canvas layer only. I have two tips for this step: With the canvas and the fabric layer both ready, it was time to combine them together. To do so, I layed the self layer down with the wrong side up, and placed the canvas on top. I lined up the shoulders, the side seams and the hems, as the armscye and the front edge won’t line up edge to edge with the trimmed seam allowances. I placed a few pins to keep everything in place, and then started to baste them together using some cotton thread. I don’t think it hugely matters how many rows of basting you do, however many you feel you need to keep everything secure should be good. While basting them together I tried to keep the rounded shape created with the dart, and supporting the two layers with a tailor’s ham was super helpful. For the front edge, I’d recommend staying about 2-3 cm / 1” away from the edge of the fabric, as we’ll be sewing some tape to the front edge in the next step which will take up another centimetre of space on the edge of the canvas.

UK Express (Royal Mail 24, 1-2 day delivery estimate) and Special Delivery Next Day services are also available for an extra charge. I took in the side seams by 1 cm / 3/8” at the waist, tapering to nothing towards the armscye and the hem.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment