276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Metaxa 12 Stars 70 cl, The Original Greek Spirit

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The ultimate Metaxa, the 12 has been aged like a high quality single malt and this, combined with the flavors that make this drink so unique, ensures this is a truly memorable brandy. Which Metaxa is Best?

Just keep in mind that you will always pay more for this drink in tourist towns. Everything is fair game in these areas and you’ll see huge markup on drink and food. A good indicator of a good bar is whether or not the locals go there. So if you look around and can only hear English, then you’re probably somewhere that only really caters for tourists and somewhere you will pay top dollar for local drinks. Out of curiosity I tried it simply with a splash of soda, as I had a bottle of soda open in the fridge, and it worked really well. The Metaxa Master did say this was a versatile spirit, and he’s absolutely right. (Well, of course he is, that’s why he’s only the 5th Metaxa Master since the company was founded in 1888!) I was drinking Metaxa years before I started writing about drink, and never thought I’d find myself reviewing it. So I have a predisposition to like the drink, but I can also now appreciate it more because I can put it into context, with cognacs and brandies and whiskies. To me it tastes like a very fine brandy, but a little more floral. It’s safe to say that if you’ve never tried Metaxa, this new 12-Star will be the perfect introduction. It really is in a class of its own. More Information Metaxa 12-Star is the most mature of the regular range of Metaxa Greek spirits, and there’s a push on to familiarize American palates with this classic Greek drink, or the Original Greek Spirit. You will pay very little for Metaxa in local bars and restaurants, with the 5 and 7 versions priced around the same as the most basic of whiskey and vodka imports. The 12 is a little more expensive of course, but there’s no better place to enjoy it as this drink is cheaper in Greece than it is in any other country.There is a significant difference in taste, because while the unique Metaxa flavor is there throughout, there is a certain smoothness and clarity added by the maturation process, not unlike the improvements you get when you age normal brandy or even whiskey. The greater the age, the more complex the flavors are and the more enjoyable the drink will be. Metaxa 3

In the US, Metaxa needs to be imported, but it is very popular here and has been since it was first introduced over 100 years ago. In fact the success of Metaxa in Greece was one of the driving forces behind the brand’s success overall and perhaps the main reason it is now seen as one of the 100 biggest drinks brands in the world. This well aged brandy has strong roasted flavors of chocolate, fig, prune, butterscotch, and other tasty hints you’ll get as you sip. It is very smooth to drink and has a rich flavor and strong aroma that mix together for a very pleasing taste. Private Reserve

The manufactures don’t give up their secrets easily. What we know for certain is that no chemicals are used and only natural ingredients are added, with extracts and tinctures potentially used to potentiate the flavor of specific herbs. After the muscat a special blend of herbs and extracts are added. This is a secret recipe and the only part that has been disclosed is a rose water extract. What is the Metaxa Secret Recipe? On the nose it’s like a brandy, but a brandy with a subtle difference. There’s a floral sweetness in there but it’s a really rich floral sweetness, not the subtler notes you might get with a Scotch or a brandy. That’s because Metaxa also has botanicals in it, including rose petals.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment