276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Too-Rye-Ay, as it should have sounded

£15.3£30.60Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I even felt fraudulent promoting the album, because I knew it didn’t sound as good as it should have. For items that are dispatched using our standard service, we ask that you wait 14 days from the date of dispatch before reporting any items as undelivered. CD 1 is the ‘as it should have sounded’ version of the album, CD 2 features B-sides, rarities and three previously unreleased outtakes, while the final disc offers 16 tracks from the live shows at London’s Shaftesbury Theatre, in October 1982. It’s now back in circulation as a new super-deluxe boxset edition which also includes an impressive collection of B-sides and outtakes from the era. Tracks like ‘Eileen’, and one or two others were really good, but with most others, while I felt the performances were really good, that didn’t come over properly in the mixes.

We did consider postponing the tour until next year, but we already have plans for 2023, and we promise that when we next tour, and, it won’t be long, we will do plenty of material from ‘Too Rye Ay as it should have sounded’. I find it a sort of competition and we weren’t helped when the record company decided to follow up ‘Come On Eileen,’ with a cover version (the Van Morrison-penned ‘Jackie Wilson Said (I’m In Heaven When You Smile)’).Dexys Midnight Runners are best known as a one-hit wonder in the US ("Come On Eileen" was also the first US single release by Dexys), but in the UK, " Geno" had previously reached number one, and " Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)" and " The Celtic Soul Brothers" were also UK hits. The fact the record celebrates its 40th anniversary this year can’t help but suggest a sense of occasion, but it’s neither a radical airbrushing of history, nor revisionism for revisionism’s sake. Before ‘Come On Eileen,’ we’d had a couple of singles that didn’t do so well, so their opinion held sway. So, I was absolutely delighted to get this opportunity to remix the album with the masterful Pete Schwier who has worked with Dexys since 1985 and Helen O’ Hara {Original violinist on the album}, is also helping.

Kevin Rowland was never happy with the final mix of the album, which was first released by Mercury Records in July 1982, despite its huge commercial success. The album will be released in this brand new way and sound next year via Universal on various formats and the band will head out on the road to perform the album in full with other Dexys favourites live at a venue near you. It also features three unreleased out-takes of album tracks and the relevant singles and B-sides from the period. The fact Too-Rye-Ay turns 40 this year means nothing to me, it was the opportunity to remix it that was the motivation,” he explains. I never want to repeat the same thing, because ultimately, you’ve got to be true to the music and the inspiration behind it,” Rowland says today.

It’s not something where you should put it before a committee, and they decide how it should sound, though if you don’t do that, you probably won’t enjoy sustained success. Jack Satchell, who has worked with us for a few years now, has shot a really good video to go with it. DEXYS have announced a full UK Tour for 2022 and reworking of their classic album ‘Too Rye Ay, as it should have sounded’, in what will be the 40th Anniversary of the original album. However, Too-Rye-Ay wowed the critics (“On this record, Rowland does the impossible – makes me believe he’s found some young soul rebels,” gushed The Village Voice’s Robert Christgau) and it tore up the charts – peaking at No.

Actually, I quite liked it at the beginning, but the whole pop stardom thing brings its own difficulties.Marking its 25th Anniversary, a 2007 two-CD deluxe edition was released, which included the entire 14-song album kickoff performance on BBC Radio 1 that had previously been released (without "I'll Show You") as BBC Radio One Live in Concert. For example, Birmingham’s biggest radio station, BRMB apologized after they played ‘Come On Eileen’ for the first time,” Rowland adds. Very, but not so much because she was on the original album – she’d only just joined the band at the time. It also features the hit singles “Show Me”, “Liars A to E”, “The Celtic Soul Brothers” and “Jackie Wilson Said”.

Unfortunately, Kevin is recovering from a motorbike accident and some health issues that will take some time to recover from. Mick Mars, the co-founder and former guitarist for Motley Crue, has premiered the video ‘Loyal To The Lie’ from his forthcoming solo album ‘The Other Side of Mars’, due in February 2024. The thing that’s making me most happy currently, is the fact that we are now getting a chance to release the remixed radio edit of “Old”, as a single.You suggest that it sounds punchier now – but that’s only half the story, as it has a lot more dynamics and a lot more emotional depth. The band say, “Apologies first and foremost to the fans who have bought tickets and already made travel arrangements, and to the team, promoters, staff, agents, the ticket vendors, venues and all who have worked so hard.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment