276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Devil of Nanking: an extraordinary, electrifying thriller by one of Britain's bestselling crime-writers

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The second narrative of this book is the 1937 diary of the old man - Shi Chongming, which he is reading now for the first time in 53 years. It tells of his city of Nanking just before the arrival of the Japanese, then during the massacre. The ONLY thing I'd say I didn't like was that this book is told in two timelines - the current one in Grey's POV and the one from the Massacre in Chongming's POV and the ones from the past could get a little bit boring (they were almost always the ones I would finish and put the book down saying I was done reading). Shi Chongming ο κινέζος καθηγητής που μας εξιστορεί μέσα από το ημερολόγιο του την ίδια την σφαγή το 1937. Τους συμπάθησα και τους δυο, παρόλα τα ελαττώματα τους καταφέρνουν να μένουν ανθρώπινοι, ευαίσθητοι και φυσικά ενδιαφέροντες. Θες να μάθεις τι θα τους συμβεί, τι ρόλο θα παίξουν στο τέλος και αγωνιείς για την μοίρα τους. Jason hooks her up with a Madame Strawberry who dresses like Marilyn Monroe, and has procured the help of a plastic surgeon to increase her resemblance to the Hollywood icon . She runs an upscale nightclub with a Some Like it Hot theme. Grey is not a natural fit for e

Mo Hayder - Wikipedia

Anywhere in Tokyo you could be aware of the presence of the yakuza: the underground gangs who claimed to be descendants of the samurai tradition. They were some of the most feared and violent men in Asia. Sometimes it was just the sounds of the bosozoku motorcycle gangs that reminded you of their existence, like a chrome wave rolling down Meiji Dori at dead of night, sweeping everything in front of them, the characters for kamikaze painted on their helmets.”

They looted nearly every building that they could find, stealing from the poor and the rich alike. They then slaughtered scores of people that they happened upon. Some victims of the Nanking Massacre were thrown into mass, unmarked graves. Others were simply left to rot in the sun. Jason hooks her up with a Madame Strawberry who dresses like Marilyn Monroe, and has procured the help of a plastic surgeon to increase her resemblance to the Hollywood icon . She runs an upscale nightclub with a Some Like it Hot theme. Grey is not a natural fit for entertaining men, but caucasian hostesses are in short supply, so she is hired on a trial basis. Meanwhile, Tillman Durdin, a writer for The New York Times who was on the scene, wrote, "I drove down to the waterfront in my car. And to get to the gate, I had to just climb over masses of bodies accumulated there... The car just had to drive over these dead bodies." Once he reached the waterfront, he witnessed the massacre of 200 men within just 10 minutes.

Τόκυο by Mo Hayder | Goodreads

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II is a bestselling 1997 non-fiction book written by Iris Chang about the 1937–1938 Nanjing Massacre — the mass murder and mass rape of Chinese civilians committed by the Imperial Japanese Army in Nanjing, the capital of the Republic of China, immediately after the Battle of Nanjing during the Second Sino-Japanese War. It describes the events leading up to the Nanjing Massacre, provides a graphic detail of the war crimes and atrocities committed by Japanese troops, and lambastes the Japanese government for its refusal to rectify the atrocities. It also criticizes the Japanese people for their ignorance about the massacre. It is one of the first major English-language books to introduce the Nanjing Massacre to Western and Eastern readers alike, and has been translated into several languages. [1] The book significantly renewed public interest in Japanese wartime conduct in China, Korea, the Philippines, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific. [2] translated by Ma Zhixing ( 马志行), Tian Huaibin ( 田怀滨), and Cui Naiying ( 崔乃颖). Oriental Publishing House ( 东方出版社). 382 pp. ISBN 978-7-5060-1052-8. This gruesome event took place in the (then) capital of China, Nanking, in 1937. China estimates that the Imperial Japanese Army murdered anywhere from 40,000 to 300,000 Chinese civilians, and perpetuated widespread rape and looting.

I went into this thinking that my brain would get a workout, little did I know that my heart would be the one doing all the heavy lifting. This book did not carry the fast paced, hardcore punch that I have found in other Hayder novels but its historical relevance gave it a power all its own. It is here where Grey finds work and makes a sinister connection, one that may help her convince Chongming to let her see the film she so desperately needs to see. By the time the worst of the Rape of Nanking had ended, one estimate claimed that about 300,000 people died. Then, when Japanese soldiers and officials were tried and executed for war crimes just after World War II, a court found that at least 200,000 had perished during the Nanking Massacre. I can’t imagine the amount of research and dedication it took to write this indescribable piece of art. It is by no means a “feel good” read but is so full of emotion, detail and intrigue woven together to create a beautiful heartfelt set of stories into one. If Ms.Hayder we’re still with us, this is the one I would most like to sit and discuss with her. Absolutely incredible. Read more

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment