276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Alderac Entertainment Group | Calico | Board Game | 1 to 4 Players | Ages 10+ | 30 to 45 Minute Playing Time, Multicolour, 23.88 x 23.88 x 7.11 cm

£19.995£39.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cascadia is a tile and token drafting game for 1-4 players. It involves a dual-layer puzzle that progresses over time as more habitats and wildlife are added to each player’s individual ecosystem. Players score points by creating the most harmonious spatial arrangements of wildlife, and also by creating the largest contiguous habitat corridors. Each player has the same set of 6 different goal tiles (of which only three are used per game), color-coded to match their player board. Each goal tile offers two scoring opportunities: matching colors or patterns, with the face of each goal tile indicating the requirements. For example, the AA-BB-CC goal tile requires that players have only three different colors, or three different patterns, directly adjacent to the goal tile. If they accomplish that, they’ll earn 7 points for either. If however they’re fortunate enough to match both color and patterns, they’ll earn 11 points instead. Calico offers 20 different combinations of goal tiles giving games a different feel based on the specific combos.

It’s obvious that the game has been exceptionally well designed down to the very last detail, much like the board game Sleeping Gods . Possibly one of the most wholesome board games to have ever been created, Calico combines the art of quilt designing with adorable cats. So whether you have a feline friend at home or wish that you did, it’s the perfect game for cat lovers. If you want a game with a high degree of interactivity, I will say now that Calico is not it. The most you do is draft from the same “market” of tiles, but in the five or so games I’ve played it’s never worth it to “hate draft” because you always have to place the tiles you take, and each tile is so impactful. You’ll only get to place 22 tiles through the game to maximise your score and reach your goals. The set-up is delightfully simple and the form factor is really compact. placing a tile from your hand onto any empty space on your quilt board (there’s no adjacency rule here); and thenPlayers work on building their beautiful quilts in ways which achieve victory points. For example, if by placing a tile, a player is able to connect at least three patches of the same colour, they can sew a colour co-ordinated button onto any one of those matching patches and that is worth 3 points at the end of the game. Indeed, get a button of each of the six available colours and the rainbow bonus token is yours!

In addition to all of this, the game comes with an easy-to-read instruction booklet that not only sets out the rules of the game but also includes information about the history of each cat that inspired the game’s creator. Cat scoring tiles are double-sided and give Calico some additional setup variety. One side allows players to earn a cat token for groups of matching pattern tiles, while the other side requires those tiles to be in specific arrangements. We also have a few surprises for the Calico fans like variations of the rules and mechanics in the campaign play. In addition to the well-known gameplay scenarios, new ones await to be discovered.

After all of the tokens have been removed and tallied, the player with the highest point total wins the game. Final Thoughts on Calico Point City takes the same simple concept of drafting cards and building the best combinations and adds new layers of resource management and engine building to the mix - making the game easy to learn, but challenging for everyone! Disclosure: Meeple Mountain received a free copy of this product in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. This review is not intended to be an endorsement. NB: for added competition, we tend to select 3 at random and then have everybody place the same ones in the same slots on their own boards).

A game for 1 – 4 players, Calico is very simple to set up. In a normal multiplayer game, each player receives a unique colour coded player board (quilt) and a corresponding set of six goal tiles, four of which are chosen at random. Out of those four, three are then placed on the marked spaces and form a player’s personal objectives for the game. And the partial tiles around the edge of your unique board count when it comes to totting up matches for buttons and cats. So build off them if you can! You make a rainbow button by sewing at least one button of each color onto your quilt. This is also worth three points. End of the Game Nocturne is a puzzly spatial bidding and set collection game set in a whimsical moonlit forest illustrated by Beth Sobel!I’ve been trying to work out what it is about these simple-ruleset/formidable gameplay games that I like so much, and the main thing I can come up with is that no matter how well or badly I do, it will never be because of a rules mistake. I might have to try and hold a lot of different bits of information in my head, but I’ll never misinterpret some card and end up with fewer resources than what I was counting on. Whether I do well in a game of Calico or badly, it feels like that will always be because of the choices I made with the tiles that were available. Players compete to create the best quilt by playing a quilt tile on each turn on their personal player board. [3] Then players draw a new tile from one of three available in a public market. If a player has placed three connected tiles of the same color, they may place a button of that color on their board which will score them points at the end of the game. [4] Placing tiles with matching patterns attracts cats which are also worth points, which can also be scored by placing the right number of colored or patterned tiles around preset goal tiles. [4] The most points wins the game. And if you put at least 3 patches in a row of the same color, you get buttons. Some of the buttons are in the shapes of mushrooms, blueberries, flowers, or leaves.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment