276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GORE Wear Men's Waterproof Cycling Jacket, C3 GORE-TEX Active Jacket, 100034

£56.83£113.66Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gore-Tex swapped the polyurethane layer typically found on raincoats with a Teflon membrane which bonded with the nylon outer layer. This where those millions of pores are found, thus facilitating brushing off water and passing water vapour away from your skin. Take a normal parka, add adjustable cuffs, pit zips, a double ended main zip, and a smattering of reflective details and you're pretty much there. The length does really add some extra protection, but it also very much lends itself to bikes that put you in an upright position - on a road bike with a slammed stem there's a lot of material up front to bunch up, even with the zip undone from the bottom. Gore-Tex is the name in waterproofing, but it’s not as binary as Gore-Tex = good, everything else = bad. With Shakedry, Gore turned the structure of membrane-based waterproofs inside out. Instead of sandwiching the membrane in the middle of a laminate, the membrane in Shakedry fabrics forms the outermost layer of the garment, supported by a single fabric layer.

Throughout this unpredictability, the Endure has proved very versatile. Even on a three-hour ride when it rained throughout, I stayed dry. Unfortunately for Claire and I, your dear testers, it means many many miles in pretty miserable conditions. At every wet opportunity, I've been out both on and off road, trying my best to find weaknesses in each of these options to bring you the best possible information. With the hood up, which is best under a helmet or the face box gets very claustrophobic, you feel more or less impervious to the elements. The lower hem can be easily cinched one handed with an easy drawstring, which I'd ideally liked to have seen complimented by adjustable cuffs. Yes, you can fit gloves underneath with ease, but I often go without gloves, and breezy cuffs in the cold are not the one. Some manufacturers say to throw the garment in the tumble dryer for a few minutes on low to medium heat, others recommend ‘touch ups’ with an iron on the warm setting. Again, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. The RRP is effectively the same as the Endura GV500, but both are regularly discounted and while for the same money, I’d recommend the Endura model, if the dhb Trail is reduced and the Endura isn’t when you’re looking to buy, then the performance is similar enough for the dhb to become the better choice.

dhb Aeron Men's Deep Winter Softshell 2.0

Firstly you need to hone in on your intended usage. It’s no good using something like the Assos Schlosshund if you’re going to use it to ride to work on an upright dutch bike. Likewise, if you’re planning on doing fast road miles then the Rapha Commuter isn’t what you need. All waterproof garments, except those where the membrane is the outermost surface, receive a DWR finish. Things would be easier if it were simply a matter of keeping the rain out, but pedalling makes you hot and sweaty, and the heat and moisture you generate need an escape route. But what's a waterproof rating!?" we hear you cry. Well, it's basically a number, and the higher the better. The number is calculated on the basis that if you put a 1cm x 1cm square tube over the fabric, how high could you fill the tube with water before it starts to leak through.

Though the specs say it's the same waterproof and breathability rating as the Nightvision Storm, it feels more protective. What's more, the lining is significantly more comfortable next to the skin so I was happy enough wearing this with short sleeves underneath, though most of the time I was throwing it on over a jumper. Perfect for all-weather use, it is a lightweight fabric which repels water, while allowing water vapour to pass through it, thus keeping you dry and cool simultaneously.

Best Shakedry jackets, as rated by our expert testers

For less speed-oriented riding you can go for something a little more casually cut. This is especially important for expedition-type riding where you may need to layer up underneath substantially if the weather turns on you. However, DWR treatments wear off over time, accelerated by abrasions and some detergents. When this happens, the fabric no longer causes water to bead and will become saturated and heavy.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment