276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Black Hole

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Also, as a reader who is not using these texts for any academic purposes, I think Cox’s writing is so much easier to ‘digest’ (and much more enjoyable in general) than Hawking’s (only comparing this to a few of Hawking’s books that I’ve previously read). I think it might be important to clarify that – I’m not comparing them based on ‘who’s the better (astro)physicist’ or whose ‘work’ was more ‘important’; but only of whose writing/books I had found more ‘enjoyable’. Hope that helps? A sexually transmitted disease is infecting teenagers, a disease that mutates anyone that catches it. But what happens to the people who catch the teenage plague? All of this disregards entirely that I am already sort of tied up with a pseudo-career in a different scientific discipline and do not relish the thought of attending university again. Nor am I particularly skilled at focussing on multiple things, fond of starting over, or withholding anything of value from the theoretical physicists that they haven't already got covered. The story is about a bunch of teenagers who are spreading a mutation disease via sexual intercourse. Rather than explain anything about the disease and where it comes from and how they may cure themselves, this is more about mutant teens getting high and having a lot of sex and weird dreams/trips. ME: It’s creepy, but it’s also artsy and intellectual and a big metaphor about something important.

There’s an old saying I think by Stephen Hawking that every equation you include in a popular level science book will half the effective book sales. Well, Cox and Forshaw deserve credit for taking a brave plunge (and by my estimate forgoing 99.999999% of their book sales based on Hawking’s formula) because one of the highlights of this book is the scattering of equations that are accompanied by careful explanation and insight. Stephen then went on to Cambridge to do research in Cosmology, there being no-one working in that area in Oxford at the time. His supervisor was Denis Sciama, although he had hoped to get Fred Hoyle who was working in Cambridge. After gaining his Ph.D. he became first a Research Fellow, and later on a Professorial Fellow at Gonville and Caius College. After leaving the Institute of Astronomy in 1973 Stephen came to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and since 1979 has held the post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. The chair was founded in 1663 with money left in the will of the Reverend Henry Lucas, who had been the Member of Parliament for the University. It was first held by Isaac Barrow, and then in 1669 by Isaac Newton. It really doesn't help that the ending is obviously intended to be lyrical and beautiful and symbolic and open to a variety of interpretions and is instead just pretentious and confusing. Quantum mechanics implies that the whole space is filled with pairs of virtual particles and antiparticles, which are constantly materializing in pairs, separating, and then coming together again and annihilating each other. I will close by saying I have definitely focused a lot on the weirdness of this graphic novel. But, in the midst of it all, the symbolism of the human condition, the complexities of difficult relationships, and the struggles of forbidden desires all make appearances. Several times I realized that I just read about and looked at images of something seemingly disturbing, but upon further reflection made so much sense. Often I could equate the scenario to real life.

🍪 Privacy & Transparency

They are a source of fascination for astrophysicists, mathematicians and philosophers and a ready-made metaphor for artists. But television is an insatiable visual medium so Galison – Pellegrino University professor of the history of science and physics at Harvard – had an unenviable task in making a film about “something that struggles with all of its might to be unseen”, as one of his interviewees puts it. The more accurately you know the positions of particles, the less accurately you can know their speeds, and vice versa" This is definitely a hard read. I had to read some chapters again and again to understand ( not fully though). So if you are going to read this book, and understand it thoroughly, you should spend some time on it.

What can the university offer us now? It can offer the same riches that Copernicus found: the accumulated knowledge of the past, together with the liberating idea that knowledge can be transformed and become transformative. I like that the story is told using shifting viewpoints and told in small morsels. Keith was the character I latched onto, although Chris and Rob had their moments. There's no happy ending, though. Nobody magically comes up with a cure for the sex plague. People just deal with it as best they can.

Neil Tyson is one of the greatest scientific educators we have ever had. He is probably unmatched when writing popular science books, where he covers topics that can be very counterintuitive. But he explains astrophysics very smoothly that anybody can understand without scientific knowledge. In this bleak graphic novel, set in the seventies, Seattle area teens have to deal with all the usual angst ridden issues of their age group - peer pressure, popularity, sex, isolation - AND - a strange, uncurable STD that causes not only eruptions of repulsive festering sores, but lumps, shedding skin, gaping wounds that talk, and tails. Kind of makes herpes seem like a walk in the park. I finished Charles Burns’s graphic novel in the middle of the night, and wow… I gotta say, it lingers like the tail end of a surreal, disturbing dream. That’s fitting, because a lot of the book’s characters feel like they’re caught up in a nightmare too. Such a textual reading may provide quite insightful for understanding Nabin Chandra Sen as well as nationalists who also reproduced this rhetoric, but does it apply to Muslim intellectuals of the same time period? Or, for that matter, to intellectuals grappling with these ideas in other regions of India? Since Muslims were the majority of Bengali speaking people at this time, readers have no way of assessing the manner in which these constructions actually represented anything beyond the Hindu intelligentsia. Or if there were discursive and intellectual encounters that transcended the boundaries that Nabin Chandra Sen, Akshaykumar Maitreya, and Girishchandra Ghosh represented. I had great difficulty telling the different characters apart. Too many looked alike, with long light hair. Individual characteristics were few and maybe this was intentional. Many of the characters I was only able to recognize once their particular deformity was revealed or focused upon but this did pose a problem with two of the main characters, who never really showed outward signs.

Within this unusual world, a handful of teens – Keith, Chris, Rob and Eliza – try to find some sort of connection, even as their bodies metamorphose and they’re alienated by their friends and families. Oh yeah, and there’s a twisted killer loose in the woods. A singularity is what you end up with when a giant star is compressed to an unimaginably small point." You guys sound ****ed up . . . What're you on, anyway?" -- 'Jill's older sister,' a minor character coincidentally echoing what I'd like to ask the author after finishing this book These images, like the book itself, force us to wonder whether we knew everything going on behind those seemingly happy, placid faces.It could have been a pamphlet but they made it a book with a lot of empty spaces and charging like it's worth ₹100 (5 US dollars in purchasing power parity). The teenage protagonists of this book live in a small town in the American northwest of the mid-1970s (you can date it only by a fleeting reference to Bowie's new album Diamond Dogs). Here, the usual confusion of peer groups, social cliques and sexual frustration is exacerbated and exemplified by ‘The Bug’, a sexually-transmitted condition that causes bodily mutations, some of them extreme – forcing their sufferers to live feral in the woods – and some more benign, allowing kids to ‘pass’ as normal. At the end of the chapter, you will understand everything, and everything will be pretty clear to you, whatever he wanted to explain. What I love about the book is that the personality of Stephen Hawking comes across, and you enjoy reading it. It’s such a beautiful right to read this book. Also, it shows that he was a very humorous person and funny because many times in this book, he gets into this self-deprecating humor thing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment