276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Prodigal Son (Orphan X)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Each of the Orphan books has a mission/problem that solved, but the repercussions of Evan’s decision to leave the Orphan program and his relationships are ongoing and progressive, so I think it’s best to start the series from the beginning. For the first time ever, I must admit to skimming an Orphan X novel. I’m sorry to say it but Dark Horse didn’t thrill me. I find this series super fun and fast-paced, and I like all the main characters and many plot twists. This is the sixth book in the Orphan X series (I thought number five was the last since he retired. Silly me). Evan Smoak was a small-for-his-age 12-year-old orphan when he was snatched up and trained to be an-off-the-books assassin for the government. He gave up being Orphan X and switched to being The Nowhere Man, who helped people in desperate need of help that his incredible training and endless financial resources could provide. But he’d given up even that for a nonofficial presidential pardon. In this book, someone claiming to be his birth mother gets a hold of him, and asks him to help out another person in dire need of assistance from extremely deadly people.

When Evan tells Veronica he’s a government agent who kills people for a living she’s disappointed, and that changes him, too. There were a few twists in this book, however if you're paying attention you will likely see them coming. I liked where the twists took us in the story and I hope that part of the story is included in the future. I'm assuming it will be built upon and I think it will be interesting to go deeper into these new aspects of Evan's life.When a woman calling herself Veronica LeGrande reveals herself to be Evan’s mother who gave him up for adoption, she asks for help from the boy she abandoned many years ago. Her request seems strange—she asks him to help a man who was a resident at the same foster home that Evan lived in before he became Orphan X. This man, Andrew, is not an ordinary man. His life has put him directly in the path of a deadly assassin team, and Evan is his only hope. However, helping Andrew and Veronica may mean putting his own life and freedom on the line… The follow-up books in the series are " Buy a Bullet" (A short story released as an e-book in 2016), " The Nowhere Man" (Released in January 2017) and " Hellbent" (released in 2018). [2] The fourth full-length book in the series, "Out of the Dark", arrived on January, 29, 2019. [3] The fifth was "Into The Fire", and was released 28 January 2020. The sixth installment in the series, "The Prodigal Son", came out in February 2021. Evan was just trying to figure out what was next for himself when his world was turned upside down. That woman who reached out to him claimed to be the one who’d given him up for adoption, which sent him reeling. Then Joey starts secretly dating a guy who’s too old for her. Lastly, that “trouble” Andrew was in involved two known hired assassins connected with a top secret highly classified program. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the consequences were deadly for anyone associated with him now, including Evan. Nice retirement. When Evan meets his mother, he experiences all kinds of emotions. Evan longs for the connection, but is angry that Veronica abandoned him to a miserable life in a downtrodden orphan asylum.

Especially if you overlooked the bullet-resistant laminated polycarbonate thermoplastic resin composing the windows, the discreet armor sunscreens made of a rare titanium variant, the motion-and shatter-detection sensors rigged in the frames, the base-jumping parachute stowed behind the inset panel of the planter strategically positioned on the south-facing balcony.” Evan Smoak lives by his own code. As a boy he was taken from a foster home to be raised and trained as an off-the-books government assassin codenamed Orphan X. Then he broke free to live in the shadows as the Nowhere Man, using his unique skills to help those in desperate need. But all good things must come to an end. He’ll take on one last mission then go out on a high note. Clean, neat and tidy, just the way he likes it. And then he met Max Merriweather. The science and the weapons information are almost more than up to date, and make for fascinating games of real or not real for readers. Just the other day I saw an article about dragonfly drones-but not ones with ethical decision making capabilities. Here is my petty little question. With all that great information available wouldn’t someone catch that poinsettia’s don’t have a scent? Maybe that booboo didn’t make it to the final version of the book. Simply the best all-out action writer in the business, to which he adds a shrewd sense of character... Not to be missed." -- Providence Journal As always, there is a lot going on, and the story moves at a very brisk pace, which of course makes it hard to put aside. The dramas with Joey felt a little overwrought, and not really her style, in my opinion.

As a boy, Evan Smoak was pulled out of a foster home and trained in an off-the-books operation known as the Orphan Program. He was a government assassin, perhaps the best, known to a few insiders as Orphan X. He eventually broke with the Program and adopted a new name – The Nowhere Man―and a new mission, helping the most desperate in their times of trouble. But the highest power in the country has made him a tempting offer - in exchange for an unofficial pardon, he must stop his clandestine activities as The Nowhere Man. No Knowing the risks, Evan can't seem to help himself, especially under the circumstances. Whoever is after Andrew, means serious business... I realize I probably missed a lot by not having read the previous novels, but even so, this worked perfectly well as a stand alone. I grew to like Evan, but I must admit that his computer expert Joey, got on my nerves a little bit. (Joey is the equivalent of Penelope on Criminal Minds, but only a teenager.) I think their banter would have bothered me less if I were more familiar with her character. Still, a very strong addition to the series, though, and I’m looking forward to Evan’s next big challenge! It’s funny, I focused on the tragedies, and those are really, you know, early thrillers,” Hurwitz says. “They’re tales of lust, intrigue and murder. They’re highly convention-bound and structured. Narrative-driven, based on pre-existing themes or stories that are repurposed.

I enjoyed watching Evan grow as a person and work on his relationship skills in this one. I have to admit that as much as I love Joey, she can grate on my nerves at times with her teenager attitude. Underneath that harsh exterior you know she has a soft core and is just protecting herself, but that doesn't stop her presentation from being annoying at times. I still love her, but I'm hoping she can be a little less abrasive in future installments. He was ready to try to lead an ordinary life, whatever that was. A life he’d never thought he could have, never thought he deserved. One without knife wounds and concussions. Without a threat around every corner, the reek of death one wrong turn away. Like every good thriller author, Gregg has a way of weaving in plot twists. Usually, they are complicating the subject at hand further more, and you would expect them at around the 80 percent mark of the novel. The story comes together with all the unbridled strength and power Evan has and once again proves that The Nowhere Man has a big place in the thriller suspense category. Evan will have to power up again as now he is on the eye of a needle which belongs to the most powerful woman in the US.Joey is also there and in her true form but all is not wonderful in the world as they still stumble and fumble, trying to find their proper footing together. That’s something that Evan has carried with him throughout the series, as he continues to in “Prodigal Son.” The book centers around the character Evan Smoak. At the age of 12, he was enrolled in a top-secret operation known as the "Orphan Program." [4] He is the 24th recruit in the program and is known only as Orphan X. The goal of the program is to train orphans so they can be assassins for government agencies. The program is shut down but Orphan X maintains access to the program's funding and weapons. [4] Evan remained on call 24/7 for the unfortunates, awaiting a 1-855-2-NOWHERE call on his high tech, untraceable, and indestructible RoamZone phone. Evan thought he was ready to lead an ordinary life—whatever that was—without the prospect of death lurking around the corner. But was he?

What a fantastic ride, what a ride. This series is just so damn good. Great character, great stories, great action. Can you tell I really love it :) After years as the assassin known as Orphan X, Evan has broken free and repurposed himself as an avenger of those in need. Now, Evan has left both of these persona behind to live the life that got taken from him when he was just a boy. Here, Evan Smoak helps find the daughter of Aragon Urrea, a drug kingpin, after she is kidnapped. Mr. Urrea is not a good man and yet, his daughter is not responsible for his actions, calling into question ethics and morality, which is something Evan must explore. The Orphan X series has been in development for film or TV for a few years now. Actor Bradley Cooper had been attached to play Evan Smoak before bowing out to work on “A Star Is Born.” Related Articles Personally, I don't think we needed the final twist. I don't think that particular aspect is necessary to keep the story interesting, but I'm happy to see where Hurwitz will go with it. I'm sure he'll manage to work it in well and develop it into something I wouldn't expect.

Gregg Hurwitz’s Orphan X books in order:

A lot of activity happening so the story is moving apace, but plausibility is suffering as a result." Oh, and there was so much gory violence, it felt like I was wading knee-deep through blood. I haven't felt like that since Stuart MacBride's Cold Granite. This was an intense and fast read for me. Thank goodness there was Joey to help break the tension. Clearly, Gregg Hurwitz has done it again. The action in Prodigal Son is brilliant, almost antiseptic, as the plot wavers between sci-fi and “Damn, could this really happen?” I do have one small admonition, however: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE FIVE PREVIOUS ORPHAN X NOVELS! You won’t be disappointed. I understand the need for lifting the plausibility veil in an "Orphan X" type of book, I really do, but it seemed like Gregg Hurwitz was definitely stretching in "Dark Horse". I remember in an earlier book, probably #5, or #6, where X was confronted by the need to 'eliminate' about 21 of his enemies without any help. In Dark Horse the number jumps to 38! Plausibility falls to near zero. I note that this leads to a higher level of violence than has been the case in previous Orphan X books.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment