276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lord Loss (Book One of The Demonata): Book 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While confronting Lord Loss, Dervish is constantly distracted from his chess match as Grubbs is unable to fight off the two familiars. Dervish finally uses magic to save Grubbs, but Lord Loss sees this as breaking the rules of the game and is about to let his familiars kill Dervish, Grubbs, and Bill-E. However, Dervish is able to convince Lord Loss to let Grubbs finish the chess game, while he battles the familiars. A terrified Grubbs then makes a bad game worse. Then Grubbs realizes that Lord Loss is feeding on his despair and then decides to play with an aloof attitude. This throws Lord Loss' concentration, allowing Grubbs to win the game. Lord Loss then cures Bill-E, but someone must battle him in his realm. Grubbs offers to go, but Dervish refuses to let Grubbs fight and goes instead. Dervish leaves to the Demonata universe, leaving Grubbs behind with Bill-E. Grubbs lies to Bill-E, telling him that Dervish used a calming spell to try to cure his lycanthropy. Grubbs figures that it's better for Bill-E to believe that Dervish is his father, since his real father is dead. Fourteen months later Grubbs has been caring for Dervish in his zombie-like state, also dealing with the fear that he'll turn into a werewolf. One morning, Grubbs wakes up to find blood under his nails and hair in his teeth. Thinking that he has turned, he prepares to call the mysterious Lambs Dervish told him about, to kill him before he does any harm. As Grubbs reaches for the phone he hears someone call his name. Turning to look he sees Dervish, with his senses regained, holding a tin of paint and a woollen scarf. The book ends with Dervish saying, "The look on your face!" Enough!" Dad shouts, and we both jump. Dad almost never shouts. He usually gets very quiet when he's angry. Now his face is red and he's glaring - but at both of us, not just me.

And Lord Loss, the evil-but-not-intentionally-bad demon crime boss who feeds off of humanity’s sorrow, pain and suffering, and who more than anything enjoys a good game of chess, mankind’s only worthwhile invention in his opinion.This series had a pretty good ending that was in keeping with the brutal tone throughout while also managing to be optimistic…Which was nice after 10 books of demonic dismemberment. They don't talk to me at meals. The three of them act like I'm not there. Gret doesn't even glance at me spitefully and sneer, the way she usually does when I'm getting the doghouse treatment.

Okay so I read this series about 5 years ago now and don’t remember a lot of it really well. I sat down to write up a few lines about it after seeing that a friend was reading it but as I did I kept remembering cool plot points/characters that I felt obligated to mention. Anyway I remember reading this series when I was about 13/14 and really liking it (all of the disembowelling helped :D). Note: This is marketed as Young Adult but… it isn’t. At least it’s not what you’d normally expect from the genre. You should really not let your kids read this if they’re under, say, 12 and probably older still. I’ve legits never read a book/series with more detailed descriptions of scenes of horrific violence and gore. This review will cover the whole series however I’ll try to keep any important plot points from later books in spoiler tags. Note: Grubbs Grady has a liking for "bad words" which is revealed when he insults Lord Loss in book one of the Demonata: "Lord Loss.") The Grim Reaper: In a deviation from the traditional robed skeleton, this version of death is a malevolent, shadowy monster. And he wants to end the universe, with the aid of every demon in existence And many others like Sharmilla, Billy ‘Bill-E’, Juni Swan, Meera Flame, Prae Athim, and lots and lots of demons with names like Femur and Malice. It’s the characters, really, that have stayed with me the most and have made this series worth remembering. Honestly, the series is worth reading just for the characters, bad ending and all. Lord Loss masterminded the cruel plot to slowly drag Kernel towards him and, using the First Board stolen from the Druid Drust in Bec, let him realize the truth about Art. Kernel was responsible for turning Lord Loss's familiar (Artery) into a human (Art), which led to Kernel discovering his powers.Kernel, no-nonsense apprentice to the great Beranabus, unwillingly having to work with Grubbs, able to see ‘lights’ with which he can create windows into the demon world. How long has he been smoking? That's what I want to know!" Mum's started referring to me in the third person since Dad arrived. I'm beneath direct mention. Lord Loss is the debut novel of the Demonata series by Darren Shan. The book follows Grubbs Grady as he discovers a secret demonic world behind ours. After the tragic murder of his parents and sister at the hands of these demons he spends a bit of time in a mental institute before his uncle comes and gets him out. Over the course of the book, Grubbs learns about magic, demons and the curse that plagues his family. Naturally, he has to do battle with the very demon who killed his family, Lord Loss. I also seem to recall that Lord Loss’ favorite chess set was one in the style of The Lord of the Rings. Devoured by the Horde: In Bec, Orna is eaten alive by her zombified children. And she dies willingly. Needless to say it's one of the more chilling deaths in the series.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment