276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

author Angela Kelly gives an in-depth, but dignified look behind-the-scenes as Queen Elizabeth II's Personal Assistant, Advisor and Curator (Jewellery, Insignias, and Wardrobe) since 1994; Kelly, Angela (2019). The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe. HarperCollins Publishers. ISBN 978-0008368364. From Her Majesty’s trusted confidant and Dresser Angela Kelly LVO comes a lavishly designed book of never-before-seen photos of The Queen, Her wardrobe and Her jewels and features intimate anecdotes from Angela’s 25-year career working closely with Her Majesty. A truly unique keepsake and collectors’ item to be treasured. In an op-ed in the Daily Mail, the newspaper's editor-at-large wrote: "Charles was dismayed when Miss Kelly... was unusually granted permission to author a series of books about her life with the Queen, which were billed as providing a unique insight into the ‘true and lasting connection’ between the two women. Not that she doesn't value discretion. She met the author during a royal visit to the British Embassy in Germany, where Kelly was the housekeeper. Asked about who would be the next guest there, Kelly refused to say, citing the pledge she had given not to divulge details of her duties. The Queen and Prince Philip were amused at Kelly's firmness, but they didn't forget it, either. Soon afterwards, she returned to England and was approached about a job in the Palace. The Royals like staff who can keep their mouths shut!

The Other Side of the Coin – HarperCollins

Newbold, Alice (9 February 2016). "How Angela Kelly created the Queen's latest elegant look". The Telegraph . Retrieved 4 August 2019. Along with the claims about the staff's feelings towards the dresser, Brandreth's book also reveals the Queen's incredible stoicism during her final months. The author is a professional royal family dresser. So she goes into the details of selecting costumes for the Queen and what she considered and discussed with the Queen while choosing each outfit. If you are someone who is reading this book just to know more about Queen and not a fashion aficionado and are not interested to know anything about her wardrobe, haute couture, and fashion, you will find some of these areas of this book boring. There's little about the Queen's relationship with her children or grandchildren, but Prince Philip plays a starring role. The author is an admirer of that controversial character, claiming that his value to the Queen was that he ALWAYS told her the truth. I loved his blunt opinion of an outfit done in a loud plaid. Suitable for covering the sofa, was the way he put it, saving his wife the embarrassment of appearing in clothing unsuited for her petite figure.

A source told the same publication: "It's certainly a formidable weapon in her arsenal to have a letter like that from Queen Elizabeth II in her possession. Update: I was interested (but not surprised) to learn that when the Queen retreated to Windsor Castle (after being widowed and in the face of the pandemic) the author was invited to live with her full time. Clearly, Ms Kelly was a cherished companion, as well as the keeper of the wardrobe. Liverpool-born designer Angela Kelly designed the Queen's Royal Wedding outfit - In The Mix Today - News - Liverpool Echo If you know me, you know my love and obsession for the Royals and for fashion and this book covered it all! This book was on my Christmas list and although it is the second book of Angela Kelly and I have not had the chance to read the first one, this book gave an insight of what it is like to work for Her Majesty, The Queen. And oh how I wish I did!

New book by Angela Kelly will reveal how the Queen - Tatler

Angela Kelly is no writer, there is no depth, no insight, no glimpses from the 'other side of the coin' of how the Queen "really" is. Since Angela makes a point of saying right at the beginning of how she is absolutely loyal to the official secrets act and would never breech confidentiality in even the smallest way all there is left to write about is the dresses. So that's what she writes about, since she did that already in another book, I ask myself, why was this book written? The author uses the opportunity to remove the public's misconceptions about Queen and the royal family in this book. She tells us why we shouldn't believe these furtive details spread as rumors circulating in the crowd. Hallemann, Caroline (18 July 2020). "Princess Beatrice's Stunning Vintage Wedding Dress Was Her "Something Old" ". Town and Country Magazine . Retrieved 18 July 2020.

POLL: Will you watch Meghan and Harry’s Netflix film?

Also extreme name dropping, especially with QE2. I couldn't believe one of the earliest experiences she related when she kept bothering QE2 about elocution lessons even when QE2 had given her opinion once. For the nearly seven decades of her reign, Her Majesty The Queen has used clothing to create a powerful visual identity that transcends fashion and has made her perhaps the most readily identifiable person on the planet. Angela Kelly, building on the work of the great designers and milliners who have worked with Her Majesty through the years – including couturiers Sir Norman Hartnell, Sir Hardy Amies, and Ian Thomas, and milliners such as Simone Mirman and Freddy Fox – brings her own imagination to bear on an iconic ‘uniform’ that suggests continuity and tradition, and ensures that the wearer is always the most visible person in a room or a crowd.’ –Anna Wintour, Vogue that the blue and yellow "EU" dress worn during the Opening of Parliament was purely unintentional! Ms Kelly appeared solemn as she was photographed driving through the grounds of Windsor Castle as she left her Berkshire home. How the Queen ensured her close confidante Angela Kelly could remain living at her grace-and-favour home". Tatler. 12 September 2022 . Retrieved 26 September 2022.

Angela Kelly could How the Queen ensured her close confidante Angela Kelly could

It's not unenjoyable or enjoyable, you can skim long passages, it's somewhere between boring and a perfect example of 'meh'. 2.5 stars, at best. I'm not a clothes horse OR a follower of the Royals, but I was fascinated by Kelly's stories of her childhood as one of six children in a working class family in Liverpool. She started working at age fifteen and married and had three children by the time she was in her twenties. She was divorced when she was hired to take charge of the Queen's wardrobe.But I ask myself is it the position or is the money? I recently had a short relationship, 3-4 months, with a billionaire racing car driver. He did odd time-related things too. When we got to Daytona for the PCA OktoberFast, the practices were next day (these determine pole position on the grid) and he decided he wanted a spare engine 'just in case'. So he got an engine air-freighted in overnight. Just like that. Who does that? Her Majesty is said to have told a lady-in-waiting that she was determined to keep busy as it helped her cope with Prince Philip's death. Nicholson, Abigail (19 September 2022). "Queen's Liverpool right hand woman attends her funeral". Liverpool Echo . Retrieved 26 September 2022.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment