276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Figurine: Escape to Athens and breathe in the sea air in this captivating novel

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Those Who Are Loved, published in 2019, tells the story of Greece’s traumatic period of occupation and civil war during the 20 th century. A beautiful, moving and thought provoking story, The Figurine is a stunning read . . . her love and passion for Greece comes through loud and clear with every word she writes' Real Reader Review, ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Chasing Aphrodite – The Hunt for Looted Looted Antiquities at the World’s Richest Museum – Jason Felch and Ralph Frammolino Victoria Hislop studied English Literature at Oxford University and afterwards worked in book publishing, PR and journalism. During her time as a journalist, she wrote on education and travel for national newspapers and magazines and was sent on assignments around the world. Many are seen on the UK Strictly as the wardrobe itself tours the world. My first costume, a golden ballgown, had already been worn by Amy Dowden in London.

Helena’s desire to find answers about her heritage dovetails with a growing curiosity for archaeology, ignited by a summer spent with volunteers on a dig on an Aegean island. It was at the end of 2020 that I went for my mammogram. Past scans had never shown anything untoward and I was relaxed about it. As the nurse squashed my breasts between the glass-plates, I made a joke about how small my cleavage is.Victoria Hislop has done it again! A truly captivating story . . . I wish I could give it more than 5*' Real Reader Review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Victoria Hislop not only writes a wonderful story, her evocative descriptions of the Greek landscape bring to life the beauty of Greece as a whole. Her descriptions are so rich it takes little imagination to conjure up the sights, smells, people, culture and history of Athens and the Greek islands. The Figurine shines a light on the questionable acquisition of cultural treasures and the price people and countries will pay to cling on to them. The Figurine is a captivating tale of one woman's quest to come to terms with her family's brutal past. There is no doubting Victoria Hislop is an incredible storyteller who has opened up the history of Greece to a wider contemporary world; her attention to detail and the creation of warm and sympathetic characters instantly grabs readers' Real Reader Review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My followers will probably know by love for Victoria Hislop's books. The Island is one of my favourite books of all time and I highly recommend to anyone wanting to try out the historical fiction genre. Of all the ancient art that captures the imagination, none is more appealing than the Cycladic figurine. An air of mystery swirls around these statuettes from the Bronze Age and they are highly sought after by collectors – and looters – alike.Their finds fuel her determination to protect the precious fragments recovered from the baked earth – and to understand the origins of her grandfather’s collection.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment