276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Promise of Blood: Book 1 in the Powder Mage trilogy

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In January 2021, Joseph Mallozzi announced that he would be writing and producing a television series based on the books with No Equal Entertainment and Frantic Films. [4] Plot and setting [ edit ]

Written by Brian McClellan, Promise of Blood introduces guns into my fantasy. To be fair, it’s a lot of musket and one-shot pistols, canon balls, and whatever else can be fired using copious amounts of gunpowder, but it’s still a technology I’m not normally fond of in my fantasy. Overall, I enjoyed the book. I’m not a big fan of the prose/writing style and had to suspend my disbelief more than a typical fantasy novel but it was fun. Entertaining. Which is all that matters once I’ve finished the book.This is an excellent novel, which begins with a promise of blood and delivers through and through. Whether you’re following Tamas’ decisive dealings against internal and external threats alike, Taniel’s chasing around of dangerous targets or Adamat’s investigations, there’s plenty to be loved about this first part of the Powder Mage trilogy. Taniel, the Field Marshal's son and a talented powder mage, who is able to consume gunpowder to give himself supernatural powers, is given the task to hunt down an uncommonly powerful member of the Royal Cabal who managed to escape during the coup. Soon it becomes clear that overthrowing the monarchy was just the beginning. Shortly after the confrontation, the group find the Kez army marching on South Pike, its Royal Cabal coming to assist Julene in reaching its peak where they will summon Kresimir. Alongside Adro's Mountain Watch, Taniel, Borbador and Ka-Poel fight for months to hold off the Kez forces. At the climax of the summoning ritual, Taniel uses his mage abilities to shoot the resurrected Kresimir directly in the eye, apparently killing him. Nila finds herself confronted with soldiers killing her noble employers one night. But she can't let the same happen to their little boy, so she smuggles him out in the hope find a safe place for him and to start a new life of her own. A tightly wound caseworker is pushed out of his comfort zone when he’s sent to observe a remote orphanage for magical children.

I like my fantasy medieval. I always have, and I suspect I always will. It’s a hard habit to break, to be honest, and I much prefer my characters swinging swords, drawing bows, and charging an enemy line atop a horse. Put a car or a machine gun in your story, and you’re one step towards driving me away. While sensibly contained to one book, the story does allow for that anticipatory desire to keep reading, following the story into further and more interesting locations. The world surrounding our characters, and the history and mythology preceding them, all combine to create a whole that is utterly compelling. Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Adom basically just wants to cook food, but he is still a god. He defeats soldiers sent to kill him with contemptuous ease. jaimebabb on Five SF Visions of Society Free From Rules, Regulations, or Effective Government 2 hours agoLove, betrayal, swords, magic, muskets and Kresimir returned, there is trouble on the horizon for Tamas in book two. I will say this now, Tamas will die; he is going to sacrifice himself to the Kresimir to save the world or his son or both. I just can’t see another out outcome for him. Thankfully we are a while away from that, maybe I should say hopefully… Lady Winceslav, an Adran noblewoman who leads a powerful mercenary company known as the Wings of Adom;

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment