276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gloriousness and Wretchedness; Life is glorious but life is also wretched. It is both. Appreciating the gloriousness inspires us, encourages us, cheers us up, gives us a bigger perspective, energizes us. But if that’s all that’s happening, we get arrogant and start to look down on others, and there is a sense of making ourselves a big deal, and being really serious about it, wanting it to be like that forever. The gloriousness becomes tinged by craving and addiction. Every day we could reflect on this and ask ourselves, "Am I going to add to the aggression in the world?" Pema tells us that we already have everything we need and are “one blink of an eye away from being fully awake.” You want it your own way. You’d just like to have a little peace; you’d like to have a little happiness, you know, just “gimme a break!” But the more you think that way, the more you try to get life to come out so that it will always suit you, the more your fear of other people and what’s outside your room grows.”

We can learn to act and think in ways that sow seeds of our future well-being, gradually becoming more aware of what causes happiness as well as what causes distress.” Oft-quoted, much beloved, and radiating kindness, Chödrön remains a guiding light for those seeking spiritual growth.” A collection of short inspirational readings by "one of the world's wisest women"— O, the Oprah Magazine.She’s one of the most influential voices in contemporary spirituality, the writer whose books are passed from friend to friend." Everything that occurs is actually the path itself. We can use everything as the means for waking up. A portable collection of short inspirational readings by “one of the world’s wisest women”—the American Buddhist teacher and author of When Things Fall Apart ( O, the Oprah Magazine) It helps to remember that our spiritual practice is not about accomplishing anything—not about winning or losing—but about ceasing to struggle and relaxing as it is.”

We must allow ourselves to feel what we feel and not push it away. This means accepting every aspect of ourselves, even the parts we don’t like.

I admire her forthrightness, her ability to distill Buddhist thought into bite-sized morsels and above all, the sense of humor that is evident from behind her words. Yet I don't feel like she is talking down to me like I get the feeling with some Christian authors. I feel like she is merely pointing out a way up. Like she is clearing the path for me so to speak. As much as we might try to resist, endings happen in every moment—the end of a breath, the end of a day, the end of a relationship, and ultimately the end of life. And accompanying each ending is a beginning, though it may be unclear what the beginning holds. In How We Live Is How We Die, Pema Chödrön shares her wisdom for working with this flow of life—learning to live with ease, joy, and compassion through uncertainty, embracing new beginnings, and ultimately preparing for death with curiosity and openness rather than fear. The root of aggression and suffering is ignorance. We ignore our kinship with others. “One reason we train as warrior-bodhisattvas is to recognize our interconnectedness – to grow in understanding that when we harm another, we are harming ourselves.”

The key is to be here, fully connected with the moment, paying attention to the details of ordinary life.” Here is a treasury of 108 short selections from the best-selling books of Pema Chödrön, the beloved Buddhist nun. Designed for on-the-go inspiration, this collection offers teachings on: A collection of short inspirational readings by “one of the world’s wisest women”– O, the Oprah Magazine.In her mid-thirties, Ani Pema met and studied with Lama Chime Rinpoche, becoming a novice nun in 1974 in London. She received ordination from His Holiness the Sixteenth Karampa during that time. You know that moment when you realize that you don’t even know what you don’t know? After reading Pema Chodron’s words, I was awakened to the fact that I was right there, on the edge of some exciting new discovery—I just had to unfold into that space where the unknown lived. The Path of the Bodhisattva Warrior; Wherever we are, we can train as a warrior. The practices of meditation, loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity are our tools. With the help of these practices, we can uncover the soft spot of bodhichitta, the tenderness of the awakened heart. We will find that tenderness in sorrow and in gratitude. We will find it behind the hardness of rage and in the shakiness of fear. Meditation takes us just as we are, with our confusion and our sanity. This complete acceptance of ourselves as we are is called maitri, or unconditional friendliness, a simple, direct relationship with the way we are.”

pema chödrön's writing is the perfect thing to read in these little pieces - it's dense with insight even as it's simple and easily grasped, & after i started reading it i felt my attention shifting in interesting ways. As we train in opening our hearts, “we gradually feel more joy, the joy that comes from a growing appreciation of our basic goodness”.

Every day we could think about the aggression in the world, in New York, Los Angeles, Darfur, Iraq, everywhere. Life is both glorious and wretched. Wretchedness softens us up considerably. "Knowing pain is a very important ingredient of being there for another person.” Whether we are violent, depressed, addicted or jealous, or even hate ourselves, these are good places to start – just where we are.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment