276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wraithblade (The Wraithblade Saga Book 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As you’ll see in the Munitorum Field Manual MkII, the Thousand Sons are also getting a new HQ choice called an Infernal Master. Sounds ominous, right? We’ll have more on this mysterious new addition to the sons of Magnus nearer to their codex’s release, so keep a third eye out for them on Warhammer Community. However, all of that stuff is only part of the reason Wraithblades are coming into vogue now- and the other half has nothing at all to do with the Craftworlds codex or any of the changes that were made. No, the real reason we’re seeing Wraithblades take the fore is because of the surge in popularity of Orks. Eldar as a whole don’t have a ton of great solutions to Orks; they certainly have weapons that can kill them, but those weapons are usually pretty short-ranged and thus all but guarantee the unit employing them will die next turn. This isn’t universally true, of course- Windriders and Swooping Hawks can both do the job pretty well themselves without being completely suicidal- but even the units able to do it at range tend to fall easy prey to Ork return fire. Wraithblades, however, will absolutely murder Orks in close combat but are still very resilient against both shooting and melee- especially if they are sitting at 2+ or 1+ armor. With even just a single offensive buff a unit of Wraithblades can blast a whole squad of Boyz off the table in a single go and still be ready to kill another one the following round if they don’t stop you. When used against infantrymen, the result is invariably fatal. Due to their wraithbone construction, Wraithguards can suffer damage that would cripple, or even kill, a living Aeldari warrior and still continue to fight, making them useful in situations that would be suicide for living soldiers.

Their ability to easily make combat also goes a long, long way. Banshees can advance and charge and get a +3 to charge when they do advance (always advance). When getting out of a Wave Serpent they get 14 + D6 inches of movement making it very easy for them to get to those high priority targets. Hey Vipoid, I get where you are coming from. The character thing to me is something I really think is a problem. The Visarch is way overpriced (he needed a 40pt decrease IMO) but his re-roll of 1’s to both CW+DE is still fantastic despite his points. Yvraine is also really good. Her psychic reliability is fantastic and she really does great on the frontlines since she is basically a Succubus + Farseer combined, especially with Wraithblades around her. This arrangement, which originally arose out of necessity, has over time become an established practice and one of Iyanden's greatest strengths, allowing elements of the craftworld's Ghost Warrior host that are scattered across the battlefield to operate with a coordination that far outstrips that of the living. In deadly melee, the Wraithblades take the lives of the foe just as their lives were taken in the ongoing battle against the extinction of the Aeldari species. Once per phase, before making a dice roll for a model or unit from your army with the Strands of Fate ability, if you have one or more dice in your Fate dice pool, you can use one of those Fate dice. To do so, select one of those Fate dice to substitute that dice roll. The dice that is being substituted is not rolled; instead, the value of the selected Fate dice is used as if it had been rolled (this counts as an unmodified dice roll of that value for all rules purposes). Each Fate dice can only be used in this way once. After using a Fate dice, remove it from your Fate dice pool and roll all remaining dice that are part of that dice roll (if any). You can use Fate dice for any of the following types of dice roll:From a flavour perspective, I find myself liking the new Ynnari. Lord of Rebirth is fun, they have some nice artefacts and the new Word of the Phoenix seems far more thematic. Druhkari Wyches certainly get a buff from Ynnari (although I think army wide Str4 for them from Cursed Blade is arguably better). Kabals get objectively worse as they are primarily shooting based and lose their obsessions. Harlequins give up very little to become Ynnari (although losing access to their stratagems is a bit of a hindrance, as is giving up the move twice spell, the solitaire, and ignore overwatch potential). Whether those versions are better than the pure versions is debatable, but I think a good player could pilot either version to victory. However, I don’t know if the Ynnari buffs to these two factions will do much to change their competitive ranking. Harlequins, whether Ynnari or pure, are still harlequins. The first is that it finally sorts out one of the longest standing rules bugbears of 8th. One of the nasty things you could theoretically do with the Yncarne on inital release was, when your opponent killed a unit in their turn, redeploy the Yncarne to their position and then heroic into them. With its large base, meeting the criteria of “as close as possible” to the destroyed model gives you several inches of wiggle room to play with, letting you catch opponents off guard, butcher their units in their turn, and then move to safety on yours. Conveniently, I have broadly three detachments I’d want to try out, and there are three other flavours of elf, so lets see what we’ve got to work with and work out where they fit best. Craftworlds and Wyches The Spiritseer was mainly done with these colours too, but I spent more time giving him a few coats of highlights and shading, given that he’s a character. The addition of metallic colours and the white helm help him to stand out as the only living soul amongst an army of the dead.

The thing with Wraithblades is you are trading the defense from CWE (which takes a lot of successful psychic tests on expensive characters) for excellent offense. Dont get me wrong, Doom is great. But Ynnari have access to 2 combat versions of doom, one thru strat, one thru psychic powers and if you go Harlies you can use a Troupe Master to get even more doom with his re-roll wound bubble (and Harlies hitting on 2’s re-rolling 1’s with the Visarch, re-rolling wounds without any strats or psychic powers are excellent). Respectfully, this seems like a puff piece for the most part. It may be relevant to casual games or the lower tables at a GT/Major, but I don’t think your points hold up to critique if you assume your opponent is competent and/or playing a competitive list. About Howling Banshees, I’d have thought rerolls to wound would be far more important than a bonus to hit (given that they already hit on 3s but wound most enemies on 5s or 6s). Still, I can see the appeal.However, this is by no means the cessation of an Asuryani's contribution to war, as under desperate conditions, an adroit Seer can be forced to withdraw a spirit from the Infinity Circuit and into a Spirit Stone once again.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment