276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ghost Tree: Escape with this magical historical fiction novel from Sunday Times bestselling author Barbara Erskine!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She is the High Priestess of YA Horror, the Goddess of fairy-tales gone dark, and the Villainous Hero of atmospheric tales of all that is sinister and poetic. We’ll explain each choice and their consequences below. Answer 1: “I’ll help you” (Release the spirit) Happy new year! I know 2020 was a tough one for everyone but we made it through. Unfortunately the pandemic stopped all appearances after March so I wasn’t able to see as many of you as I would have liked. I’m particularly sorry that my UK tour didn’t go off as planned but I hope to try again when it’s safe for everyone to gather and travel.

I thought you were going to watch Halloween with me,” Miranda said. “It’s the perfect night for it!” The area of Pescadero Point known as Ghost Tree derives its name from the white and gnarly local cypress trees in the area which call to mind ghosts or witches. Foresters predict that the few still living cypress trees will soon join their ghostly brethren due to a blight of beetles that will kill much of the cypress and pine in California over the next 20 years. Spinsters are witches, and old women are witches, and single women are witches because they simple must be. Women without men must be up to no good.’ – Christina Henry.Twenty years after those storied events, the village is a quiet place. Fourteen-year-old Ben loves to play “Sleepy Hollow boys,” reenacting the events Brom once lived through. But then Ben and a friend stumble across the headless body of a child in the woods near the village, and the sinister discovery makes Ben question everything the adults in Sleepy Hollow have ever said. What is going on in Smith's Hollow and what is her connection to it? Her first stop is her Grandmother's house and oh boy, does Grandma have a tale to tell! Sadly like most of King's latest books, this novel too relies on blood, guts and gore to make it “scary” instead of actual spooky, look over your shoulder, get chills and want to leave the lights on at night horror. I absolutely loved Christina Henry’s The Mermaid, so I grabbed The Ghost Tree without even reading the synopsis. It happens to be the perfect October read. Lauren is a teenager but not a typical teenager. She loves to ride her bike and play in the forest. Not like her best friend, Miranda who is only interested in boys. One day, the bodies of two girls are discovered in her neighbor’s yard. It feels a little similar to the murder of her father the year before. It feels like no one is concerned and almost forgetting that it ever happened. But now Lauren is having visions. There are more girls and no one remembers them. There is something very wrong in this small town and she is right in the middle of it.

And I was so delighted at the cameo appearance of March Middleton and … I really should have seen it coming and I didn’t!

Browse reviews by Period

A maroon station wagon was coming down Main Street and Lauren pretended to be absorbed in Miranda’s face as it went by. The one person Lauren never had any trouble pretending not to see was her mother. And nobody ever told her what her dad was doing out that late at night in the woods, either. Every time Lauren mentioned it her mother’s lips would go flat and pull tight at the edges and she would say, “We are not discussing this, Lauren.” I’m extremely sorry that my U.K. tour for LOOKING GLASS with Tim Lebbon was cancelled due to the COVID epidemic. I hope to see all of you in the future. In this story, teenage Betty dreams of becoming a police officer and she certainly has a flair for poking her nose into other people's business! In fact, I found Betty to be a bit annoying. She seemed to find fault with almost everyone in the village, especially her parents - her father is the local dentist and Betty's certain her mother wishes her daughter had been a son instead!

Told through multiple points of view, we get to see how the various townspeople have strange perceptions and faulty memories of the events that happen in Smith’s Hollow, and nothing seems to alter the pleasant lives of the town’s residents. The story is narrated by Etterly's best friend, Betty Church and this is the first twist in this tale. In the 2000s, Ghost Trees enjoyed international big wave notoriety as surf professionals and locals accessed the wave by towing into it behind jet skis. During this era of tow-surfing, Carmel surfer Don Curry named the wave Ghost Trees after the bleached trunks of dead cypress at the end of 17-Mile Drive, which passed Pescadero Point. [ citation needed] What is extraordinary about Kasasian ‘s writing is the ability to change from silly and very funny comedy to poignant, sad and even dark scenes which are not forced or contrived or manipulative. The writing has great feeling and conviction and touched my heart. I love a book that both makes me laugh and cry. There is a genuine feeling that this unusual story is written by an unusual, thoughtful and caring man.Some people didn’t like the woods near Smiths Hollow. Well, if Lauren was honest, almost everyone didn’t like the woods. She’d heard more than one person say they were “spooky” and “uncanny” and “scary,” but Lauren didn’t think so. Henry writes with a keen eye for detail, drawing readers into the disturbing world with pitch-perfect ’80s nostalgia and plenty of eerie atmospherics.” — Publishers Weekly Overall: I’m so open to read a sequel. Lauren, David and Alejandro( Alex)are my favorite characters. I liked the moving, mind numbing, exhilarating chapters. When the bodies of two girls are found torn apart in the town of Smiths Hollow, Lauren is surprised, but she also expects that the police won't find the killer. After all, the year before her father's body was found with his heart missing, and since then everyone has moved on. Even her best friend, Miranda, has become more interested in boys than in spending time at the old ghost tree, the way they used to when they were kids.

She was also an only child, which meant her parents didn’t have to worry about having money for the next kid’s stuff. Lauren had heard her mother sighing many times that the trouble with having a girl and then a boy was that you couldn’t reuse anything. There's witches, there's curses, there are sacrifices that need to be made to keep the town in balance. BSBI List 2007 (xls). Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 26 June 2015 . Retrieved 17 October 2014. Perhaps best of all is that it is a great mystery story and I didn’t see where it was going even though all the clues were there. The ending is good – completing this story satisfactorily but leaving us wondering about Betty’s future health and relationships. I am so looking forward to the next one! Thank you Martin. Keep up the good work! There was one particular tree...with branches that curled like sharp claws looking for skin to scrape. All the townsfolk had avoided that tree, for it wasn’t right that a tree seemed to whisper and stare and reach out when a person passed by.”Lauren knew Mom didn’t want her and Miranda meeting in the woods. Especially after last year. Especially after Lauren’s dad was found near that old cabin. Mom thought Lauren was macabre for going anywhere near the place where her father was murdered. Thoughts: Creepy Town with a Stepford Wives vibe, Smith Hollows is the star of this book as the town itself becomes a pulsating, breathing character. It holds alllll the secrets and the older residents know was’sup. 😏 This plot and the kids are the best part of the book because as I’ve said before - creepy kids? ✅ Off to a great start in “things that freak me out in books.” Smiths Hollow is full of dark secrets, long buried and hidden away. It isn’t long before those secrets are discovered and monsters are unleashed, both human and not. In this atmospheric, terrifying novel that draws strongly from “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” the author of Alice and The Girl in Red works her trademark magic, spinning an engaging and frightening new story from a classic tale.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment