276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Smile/Sisters/Guts Box Set

£13.485£26.97Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Raina Telgemeier brings us three thoughtful, charming, and funny true stories about growing up and gathering the courage to face, and conquer, her fears. Telgemeier frames the girl's panic attacks accessibly as sickly circles of green crowded with big, blocky words ("pain drowning choking death bad at math"). Raina is an incredibly relatable protagonist, with fears of not fitting in, of over-reacting, of being bullied but being disciplined for reacting to the bully, of her stomach and of vomiting. She is also the creator of Drama and Ghosts, and is the adapter and illustrator of the first four Baby-sitters Club graphic novels. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

Raina's parents stayed supportive throughout, and they got her into therapy; eventually, she was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome.According to educators, more than 80% of children using Bookelicious find it easy to choose books they are motivated to read! I appreciate Raina telling her story with such honesty and using her platform to help children understand how to get help. Fans of Smile and Sisters will adore this new story starring Raina and her family, but newcomers to Telgemeier's work will also love Guts.

While there are plenty of relatable moments for readers with anxiety, I’m not sure how well people with emetophobia would manage while reading this graphic novel. Sisters was the tale of a road trip, but also about her life and her relationship with her sister, and now we have Guts, a book that I wish that I, personally, had had as a kid. Her favorite author is Raina Telgemeier, who—if you don’t know already—-is the queen of middle school age graphic novels. That fear makes her stomach hurt and she becomes even more scared of all the foods she's eating or the people around her are eating. Highly recommend to readers of all ages; Guts could be especially helpful for kids struggling with anxiety and 'gut' issues - and their parents, caretakers, families, and teachers.

As always the art is cute and colorful, and in this installment the author does a deeper, more personal dive into these topics, without dumbing things down for kids. Books like “Guts” offer over-worried kids a kind of literary hug and a message of “It’s going to be okay. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion and friends who turn out to not be so friendly.

Her books are aimed towards middle-grade, but I think that everyone can get something from her stuff. Fortunately her parents get her to an understanding therapist who helps Raina start to get a handle on the actual things in her life that are causing her stress and anxiety and giving her a safe place to talk about them. It encourages its readers to turn to the people who care about them for help and not to feel ashamed of what they're going through. In addition to the standard head part, a head part that can be used with a Milight 316R (released by: Hiromi Sangyo) LED to create a glowing eye effect is included as well. GutsRaina has tummy trouble, and it seems to coincide with her worries about food, school, family, and changing friendships.

After contracting a stomach bug and throwing up all night along with her mother, Raina becomes wary of artichokes as that's the last food she ate before throwing up. And on top of all that, there’s still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion and friends who turn out to not be so friendly. The figure places Guts in the middle of an apostle massacre, having defeated one and already getting ready to attack the next.

The therapist offers some useful methods, like mindfulness and relaxation techniques, to help her deal with them. you want can be used if you first install it on your device and then type in the font name on Imgflip. I appreciate that mental health has started to come out of the closet, and that people are more comfortable talking about it. It makes it all the sadder when Raina loses that sort of innocent fascination and sense of icky fun and has it replaced instead with fear.

It is a topic that is not commonly discussed in a format for young readers - and I appreciated Telgemeier's candor. It was fun to read this because it really gave some new info about Smile and Raina's relationship with her friends. Four stars for what Guts has achieved (for showing Raina Telgemeier’s anxiety and stomach issues clearly and with a strong lesson that anxiety, medical issues etc. I found that tidbit really interesting, but I wasn’t quite as smiley when I found out it also works if you reverse the process. Moments of middle school drama are portrayed with credibility, and the story both normalizes therapy and shows a child developing useful coping mechanisms for anxiety in a way that will reassure, even inspire, readers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment