276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I loved the whole atmosphere of the Oxford Literary Festival. From breakfast, alongside some of the attendees, who were talking books with each other a mile a minute, to the public event at The Sheldonian where everyone was lively and engaged – I felt I had arrived in a kind of literary heaven. He's a padbrat with his history degree being from Oxford. Did a static jump for the Market Garden commemoration too. a b "Al Murray To Host This Year's Prog Awards!". Louder. 12 July 2019 . Retrieved 21 September 2019. Jane Stevenson Siena: The Life and Afterlife of a Medieval City Oxford Martin School: Seminar Room 4:00pm Fri 31 Friday, 31 March 2023 See this event Dan Snow and Alice Loxton Why History Remains a Big Hit Sheldonian Theatre 10:00am Fri 31 Friday, 31 March 2023 See this event

Command by Al Murray | Waterstones Command by Al Murray | Waterstones

A stimulating and rewarding on-stage conversation; a lively informed and tolerant audience; privileged access to the great treasures of the Bodleian, and finally, wonderfully interesting dinner companions to help me conclude the best day I have enjoyed at any festival – anywhere. Al Murray's new book proves, if anyone still feels the need to question it, that he is a major historian in his own right. Command is everything popular history should be: authoritative, full of deep wisdom and knowledge, genuinely fresh and original in approach and content, and both compelling and entertainingly written. Skilfully blending the famous names with those lesser known, he examines each in a completely fresh light, focussing on differing aspects that collectively offer a satisfyingly comprehensive whole that takes the reader on a journey across a wide range of landscapes, theatres and battles. It is an utter joy to read from start to finish.' - James Holland

Other books by the author

At Oxford, Murray performed in the comedy group the Oxford Revue, in a show directed by Stewart Lee. [12] Career [ edit ] Maxim Osipov Interviewed by Lucian Hudson Kilometer 101 Weston Lecture Theatre 10:00am Fri 31 Friday, 31 March 2023 See this event The DUKE armies didn't start the war well. With Dunkirk now mythologised Murray does a great job of pointing out what a catastrophe it actually was. The early parts of the war are filled with DUKE armies evacuating - Norway, France, Greece, Crete etc. But equally he's good at popping the myth that all the DUKE and US armies had was technology and equipment whilst the German's had all the talent from Generals down. There is tendency among some military historians to fetishise the German army and this book is a good cure for that.

Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War

The Christian O'Connell Show Sunday Night Show The Geoff Show Geoff Lloyd with Annabel Port Pete and Geoff a b Evangelista were Pat Reid (vocals), Martin Ellis (guitar), Paul Ewart (bass) and Al Murray (drums). Reid and Ellis were at school together in Crosby, Liverpool. Reid was at Oxford with Murray. The line up included different bass players of which Paul Ewart was the longest lasting. Celebrities' open letter to Scotland – full text and list of signatories". The Guardian. London. 7 August 2014 . Retrieved 26 August 2014. Al Murray's passion for military history and the Second World War in particular has always run parallel with his comedy and was brought to the fore with several acclaimed and award-winning television shows and the recent huge success of his podcast We Have Ways of Making You Talk which he hosts with fellow bestselling military author James Holland. In his first serious narrative book, Command showcases Al Murray's passion for this pivotal period in the twentieth century, as he writes an engaging, entertaining and sharp analysis of the key allied military leaders in the conflict. The night in Oxford was the most beautiful event I have ever done. Not just the spectacular setting (of the Sheldonian), but an unforgettable evening.

In 2023, Murray co-wrote with Matt Forde and Sean Foley and is a voiceover artist Idiots Assemble: Spitting Image The Musical based on the TV series Spitting Image, which premiered at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in February, before transferring to London's West End at the Phoenix Theatre in May for 13 weeks. Roger Highfield and Peter Coveney Chaired by Irene Tracey Vice-chancellor’s Interview. Virtual You: How Building Your Digital Twin Will Revolutionise Medicine Sheldonian Theatre 12:00pm Fri 31 Friday, 31 March 2023 See this event Having started out by touring with comedians such as Harry Hill and Frank Skinner, Murray won the Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 1999, after being nominated in 1996, 1997 and 1998. [13] He started out with an act that involved sound-effect impressions, including guns, animals and a car boot. He made his first TV appearance on Channel 4's The Word in November 1991. With this act, he supported Jim Tavaré in Leeds in winter 1992. Potter, Laura (28 October 2007). "What would you save if your house was burning down?". The Guardian.

Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War Command: How the Allies Learned to Win the Second World War

The Oxford Literary Festival has in my mind become the leading literary festival of the year. The organisation, the roster of speakers, the ambience and the sheer quality of it all is superb. May it now go from strength to strength each year stretching its ambition more and more. I believe it will.

Connor, Laura (8 May 2015). "Watch Al Murray's priceless reaction as UKIP leader Nigel Farage is beaten by Tories in his target seat". Daily Record . Retrieved 11 May 2015. That the Allies were going to win, barring Germany of Japan discovering some wonder weapon or winning the race to produce the nuclear bomb, the reader is left in no doubt. Initially with Germany having a big head start in re-armament production, development of weapons and modernised tactics, the battle was just to remain in the war. There are the battles in North Africa, of which Montgomery was heavily involved, where tank warfare came to the fore, with British tanks being inadequate in build and fire power but also being used ineffectively. It is here that Tuker proves to be effective, but then later in the war the spirit of continuous improvement leads to ‘Hobart’s specials’ tanks resigned and modified to carry out specific roles during the ‘D Day’ Normandy landings.

Command by Al Murray | Hachette UK Command by Al Murray | Hachette UK

In April 2019, Murray started a podcast with historian James Holland called 'We Have Ways of Making You Talk', where they discuss battles and campaigns of World War II. Over 700 episodes have been released, including interviews with veterans and other historians, as well as Murray's narration of the book, 'The Cauldron' by Zeno. Theatre tours have included ...And a Glass of White Wine for the Lady (another catchphrase) and Giving it Both Barrels. Murray was educated at Bedford School, [9] and St Edmund Hall, Oxford, where he read Modern History. [10] He later said of his time at school: "When I was nine I was sent to boarding school, which I despised. The first five years were hideous because I wanted to be at home. I guess I resented my parents a little and it put tons of distance between us. One of the things I took from boarding school is that it made me emotionally self-sufficient." [11] Murray was awarded an honorary degree (Hon MA) by the University of Bedfordshire in 2014, [59] and an honorary Doctor of Social Science (PhD) by the University of Wolverhampton in 2017. [60] Stand-up Tours [ edit ] YearComedy Writers". St Edmund Hall. Archived from the original on 14 July 2018 . Retrieved 20 January 2015. Alessandro Gallenzi Written in Water: John Keats’s Final Journey Weston Lecture Theatre 12:00pm Fri 31 Friday, 31 March 2023 See this event Each chapter features a different officer, starting with Montgomery and ending with Lt Peter White. Most of the featured officers are DUKE - Dominions UK and Empire - with Omar Bradley and George S Patton being the US entrants. The others are Bernard Freyburg, Francis Tuker, Orde Wingate, Bill Slim, Alastair Pearson, and Percy Hobart. How familiar these names will be to you depends on your knowledge of World War Two. Stephen Fry Up wins Walkers Clash of the Comics for Red Nose Day". Talking Retail. 18 March 2011 . Retrieved 15 August 2013.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment