276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Army Painter Speedpaint Mega Set Combo with Extra Basecoat Brush, 24 Dropper Bottles of Non Toxic 18ml Acrylic Paint and 2 Paint Brushes, Speed Paint Set for Miniature Model Painting

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

To find out which Speedpaints reactivate and which do not, I painted all of them on my trusty sheet of plasticard and let them dry for over 24 hours, to make sure that really all of the medium has evaporated. I’m using Spaceship Exterior Warpaint to paint over the left halves, and Corax White over the right halves, which are both very light greys. As you can see, no matter which Speedpaint I’m painting over, the paint reactivates and discolours my acrylic paint. Neither Warpaints or Citadel paints make a difference. Consistency-wise, they are quite thin, similar to pre-thinned airbrush metallic paints. From left to right: Broadsword Silver, Talos Bronze, and Hoplite Gold from the Speedpaint 2.0 range Thank you for scrolling through my Speedpaint 2.0 review to this point. Now, the moment you waited for: metallic Speedpaints. These are… something. I was able to review the three colours from the Mega Set, but there’ll be 10 in total. I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw the promo shots, so I was eager to give them a try. The new paint is even better about it. Rob painted this about two hours before his video and was already able to paint on top of it with other colors and had no issues. He also forgot to seal the mini and was handling it with any matte coat whatsoever.

I also tried to apply a second coat of Speedpaint, here you can see Hardened Leather and Slaughter Red over Blood Red Speedpaint, as well as a wash of Purple Tone, and this turned out fine, as long as you don’t scrub over the dried Speedpaint with too much force. So, you have to think about how you are planning to use Speedpaints and decide if it might be an issue for you or not. Hardened Leather, Slaughter Red, and Puple Tone Wash over Blood Red Speedpaint The Speedpaint Mega Set contains our entire range of Speedpaints giving you 24 colours to work your magic with, and get amazing results faster than ever. To complement my Speedpaint 2.0 review, I made a hand-painted colour swatch of all 89 colours on white primer. Professionally photographed under neutral 5500K light. In this post you can find this and more charts for Citadel Contrast, Vallejo Xpress Color, and Dipping Inks from Green Stuff World, so you can compare colours across brands. Now, what you CAN do to increase reactivation is to use Speedpaint Medium instead of water. I soaked a cotton swab in Speedpaint Medium and rubbed it over the edges of the Plaguebearer’s sword to remove the paint and enhance the highlights. This works better than just using water. But I feel it’s still a bit more difficult and tedious to pull off than with the old formula. Maybe some other painter or YouTuber can find a better way to make the blending work. Please let me know in the comments about your experiences. The expanded palette The Army Painter Speedpaint Mega Set 2.0 provide many great paints and some promising results – and in our experience, these paints did not reactivate, contrary to all the controversy online. The paints provide consistent coverage, an all-in-one shade and basecoat and are very pleasing to the eye, allowing you to churn out some battle ready miniatures in an afternoon without much fuss.Let’s move on to brown and bone. Pallid Bone is a bit warmer and softer than Skeleton Horde, Hardened Leather is very similar to Goregrunta Fur, while Sand Golem is a warm light brown. Dark Wood is like a mix of Wyldwood and Cygor Brown. Crusader Skin is a bit more reddish than Guilliman Flesh. The next thing to keep in mind, the new paints are lighter (as you can see on the marine on the left). He did the methods pretty much the same on both, but the newer paints set for him in about 20 minutes, so you have less time to work with them. But we all know Contrast isn’t perfect. Some colours do exactly what they are supposed to, like Blood Angels Red and Iyanden Yellow – base colour, shading and highlights with one coat. Other colours are quite thin and feel more like washes, like Aethermatic Blue and Gryph-Charger Grey. And many of the darker colours are rather flat and hardly create any highlights, like Dark Angels Green and Cygor Brown. However, there is one thing I don’t like about Speedpaints that no one is really talking about: Even when they’re dried, they will reactivate when you paint over them. Here are some spots I wanted to touch up with Greyseer, and even though I applied multiple coats, the Blood Red Speedpaint keeps coming through, turning the Greyseer pink. I reached out to The Army Painter and they told me it is due to the composition of the medium and most prominent with Speedpaints containing a high amount of yellow pigments. Blood Red bleeding through Greyseer paint on top

When applying, I noticed that Speedpaints are a bit thinner and runnier than Contrast paints, and the medium pushes the paint into the recesses more aggressively, which helps to create a smoother result even on flat areas. On the other hand, I found Contrast paints slightly easier to control because of their higher viscosity. I felt it was easier to put them on smaller details without accidentally spilling into adjacent areas.To use these paints there are basically two options. First, you can prime something white, or do a Zenithal highlight as a base coat. If you go with the prime option, you can either go with the Matt White or Cadre Grey though the airbrush, OR just use the normal Army Painter white primer. The exact unit price of Speedpaints isn’t yet known, but it will be slightly more expensive than regular Warpaints and will be somewhere around 4 pounds/euros/dollars. For my The Army Painter Speedpaint review, I painted Contrast, Speedpaints, Instant Colors from Scale 75, and Antithesis paints from Warcolours on a sheet of plasticard that I primed with Corax White primer. I photographed the sheet under 5500K neutral light to reproduce the colours as authentically as possible.

This set gives you enough to get started and paint your minis faster than ever before! Let’s hear what they have to say about it: Using an innovative resin medium that flows perfectly over your miniatures, Speedpaint Metallics create an unparalleled painting solution to help you get more time for gaming. Wait, there’s another angle to go with as well. Rob used it through the airbrush at about 20 psi and it applied amazingly even on all the crevices! Fully Painted MinisThis is how the metallics look just over a white zenithal undercoat (the right two are flesh colors). So, reasonably vibrant but not quite the same three-dimensional depth as the color Speedpaints. The “speed” part seems to be the ease at which they apply over miniatures, while still having some depth to them. How to Paint With Speed Paint 2.0 The Army Painter recommend their Matt White Colour Primer, but for better comparison with Contrast, I used Grey Seer Spray from Games Workshop for both models, which is a light grey primer with a satin finish. The smooth satin finish allows the medium of Speedpaints and Contrast paints to spread more evenly. Nevertheless, the many flat areas of the Intercessors’ power armour will present quite a challenge for either paint. Pallid Bone is a bit warmer and softer than Skeleton Horde, Hardened Leather is very similar to Gore-grunta Fur, while Sand Golem is a warm light brown. Dark Wood is like a mix of Wyldwood and Cygor Brown. Crusader Skin is a bit more reddish than Guilliman Flesh.

If you thin this out, you can actually even use it to cover vehicles and give them amazing base coats without hardly any effort. If you have nice flat panels it works perfectly. However, if you have a spot with a lot of crevices, it loses some of the pizzaz.Here’s the latest on their new Army Painter Speedpaint! Review: Army Painter Speedpaint is Better Than Contrast The Army Painter promises that Speedpaint is a real “one coat paint” and provide a consistent feel across the range. You can see it in the paint swatch below – the results of Speedpaints are more homogenous, whereas there is a broader distribution between light and dark in Contrast paints. Features With the resin more stable now, I’m happy to say that the bleed through effect is all but gone. On the lower half of the bases, I painted over with light grey acrylic paint, again after 30 minutes, 2 and 24 hours. Around the 30 minute mark, some of the new Speedpaints still bleed through light layers of paint. For example Dragon Carmaine, Maize Yellow and Forest Spite. It’s much more faint than with the original formula, but it is still present. At least on some of the more vibrant colours such as the red, yellow, purple, and green. However, after a longer curing time of about 2 hours, the bleeding stopped. Speedpaint 2.0 in practical use

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment