276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Good Morning, Monster: A Therapist Shares Five Heroic Stories of Emotional Recovery

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Yet....unfortunately( just being honest), I did more judging and evaluating ( some of it very positive- some less so).... EXCLUSIVE: Good Morning, Monster, the memoir from Canadian psychologist Catherine Gildiner is being turned in to a podcast series with film and TV adaptations also planned. Minka Kelly takes readers behind the shiny silver-screen facade and reveals just how good an actress she really is. At times, I had to swallow my gorge (with immense difficulty) and struggle not to vomit during Alana's tale of survival and the near incomprehensible suffering she triumphed over. Since reading Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed last year, I've been so eager to find something similar. I fell prey to the marketing for Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life, and, for some twisted reason, I actually finished that awful book despite it being one of the most cringey reading experiences I've ever had the displeasure of going through. Not only did it not quench my thirst for another Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, it nearly put me off of the idea of books centering around therapists for good.

Good Morning, Monster’ Being Catherine Gildiner’s Memoir ‘Good Morning, Monster’ Being

Regardless of how it all came to be, it is blatantly unethical. Calling someone a hero means nothing if you treat them like a pawn.

Need Help?

Book Genre: Autobiography, Biography, Biography Memoir, Health, Memoir, Mental Health, Nonfiction, Psychology But second of all, Good Morning, Monster is a book that creates hope. In each of these stories, these traumatized people made it. They completed therapy successfully, and they have turned from hurt beings into people who can have a more positive approach to life again. They are real success stories. Gildiner does a great job explaining psychological concepts in a way that lay folks will understand. Most readers will enjoy her stories. I’m probably more critical than the average reader. For Gildiner, the idea that situations can have many layers is central to therapy. She often had patients seek her assistance for one reason, only to discover later that the root of the problem was much different. Peter dissociated as a child, disconnecting from his emotional and physical pain to survive. The coping mechanism followed him into adulthood, becoming a barrier to living a full, satisfying life. Peter’s dedication to reconnecting with himself, to facing the reality of his childhood and his mother’s actions, was extremely courageous. Over years of work with Gildiner, he faced many uncomfortable and even downright excruciating feelings and truths. But his hard work and indomitable spirit paid off.

Good Morning, Monster Summary of Key Ideas and Review Good Morning, Monster Summary of Key Ideas and Review

I listened to the audio version and Deborah Burgess, the narrator, did an amazing job! I highly recommend experiencing this as an audible book. She has also written a novel, SEDUCTION, a thriller about Darwin and Freud. It was chosen by DER SPIEGAL as one of the ten best mysteries. One of Peter’s biggest realizations throughout his work with Gildiner was that although his mother did what she thought was best for their family – and indeed, did better than her relatives had done for her when she was young – she had still abused and neglected him. It is currently setting up a podcast adaptation – a novel way to recreate the audiobook – before plotting screen remakes.This feels like the authors memoir as much as it’s a professional look at the process between therapist The book’s subtitle - A Therapist Shares Five Heroic Stories of Emotional Recovery - is the perfect content summary. I was actually surprised to find that the patients she profiled weren’t psychopaths given the “monster” in the primary title. Rather, they were just people trying to be functioning adults after horrible (HORRIBLE) childhoods. Case in point, a woman whose hateful mother greeted her each day with, “good morning, monster.” But inspired? Mostly I just felt sad at the capacity humans have for hurting other humans, for the ways that hurt can easily get passed on generations down the line, and for all the times the people who are SUPPOSED to notice and follow up on suspected neglect or abuse just ... don't. In every case, the patient who was abused as a child could have been saved a world of hurt had other adults stepped in and said, "no, something isn't right here." I loooove books about therapy. I love seeing how people are capable of change and what it takes to get there. This book had so much to dive into in that respect. Even if it has a terrible title. I loved Gildiner’s three memoirs and was excited to see she had another book coming out. Because I worked as a counselor for several years, reading a Gildiner memoir about her years as a therapist seemed right up my alley. Unfortunately, not only was I disappointed, I actually found a large swath of the book distasteful.

Good Morning, Monster - Macmillan

Madeline was Gildiner’s last patient, and their work together occurred after Gildiner had officially retired from psychotherapy. Madeline’s father convinced Gildiner to work with her, and Gildiner accepted due to various reasons from her own past, including a similar father figure of her own. Last year I listened to and LOVED Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed and although this one definitely has a more serious tone I still found the 5 cases presented fascinating. And there are definitely many descriptions tA common theme across Gildiner's experiences as a therapist was the necessity of flexibility on the therapist's part. As she writes, every patient is unique. The methods and techniques that are helpful vary from situation to situation, and a therapist must use their discretion when working with patients. The other essential factor for therapy to be a success is the patient themselves – all of those described in Gildiner's work are examples of truly courageous people dedicated to growing and figuring out how to thrive despite, or even because of, their childhood traumas. On their own, a therapist or a patient might not be very effective. But together, they can truly change lives. Good Morning, Monster is an intriguing book that explores in detail the experience of a clinical psychologist and 5 of her most memorable patients. Therapy is a matter of getting your unconscious to stop controlling your conscious mind. Effective therapy is about lowering your defenses so that you can deal with the issues that arise in your life.” Almost all abusive parenting is based on generations of the same; those who are abusive were likely themselves abused. That's why there are no enemies in these cases, but rather layers of dysfunction to unravel. Many thanks to Net Galley, St. Martin’s Press, and Ms. Catherine Gildiner for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way.

Good Morning, Monster: Five Heroic Journeys to Recovery Good Morning, Monster: Five Heroic Journeys to Recovery

Have you ever started unwrapping a present, expecting one layer of wrapping paper, but found a mischievous relative added layer after layer for you to dig through to find the present? Even if you haven’t, imagine the surprise you might feel at encountering more layers than you’d expected! Disclaimer 2: I’m an American psychologist. I earned my doctorate in the early 1990s, after some of the Dr Gildiner’s stories, which took place in Canada, occurred. Some of my opinions may be based on differences in time and location.** We need to read stories about folks who have been through hell and kept going... Fascinating." — Glennon Doyle, A Favorite Book of 2020 on Good Morning AmericaThe immense suffering and horrific abuse these men and women have endured is beyond belief of the human mind to comprehend. In this Blink, we’ll cover three of these five patients’ stories. These men and women all experienced enormous hardship in their childhoods, which followed them into their adult lives. You’ll learn about a music prodigy left alone for most of his childhood, a Cree man who was abducted from his family by the Canadian government as a child and put in a residential school, and a highly successful antique dealer whose company began to crumble when her anxiety spiked. These stories show how the process of therapy can heal even the deepest wound and most traumatic of experiences." — Lee Woodruff Heart-wrenching stories... [that] inspire awe for the ways people who suffered horrific abuse were able to find a measure of recovery." — Publisher's Weekly

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment