276°
Posted 20 hours ago

10mm Steel Corset Boning with Plastic Coating - by The metre or Cut to Custom Length

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Some corsetieres use cable ties instead of German plastic boning – especially for 18th century stays – because cable ties are cheaper than German plastic boning. I haven’t used cable ties so far so I don’t know how they compare to German plastic boning. Rigilene

Make a Corset : 16 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables Make a Corset : 16 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

If you prefer to buy a pattern, this is a selection of the brands available. Laughing Moon and Past Patterns will be proper historical patterns, while anything with "Halloween" in the title is going to be too simple in my opinion and probably won't look that great.And in the Regency and Victorian era before the invention of corset busks, wood like oak was often used for the busk on the front of the corset. The versatility of plastic boning, the nostalgia of synthetic whalebone, the flexibility of ridgeline boning, or the comfort of feather boning, your corset experience can be elevated to new heights. Each boning type brings its own unique charm, contributing to the artistry and elegance that corsets have embodied for centuries. Such plates, when separated, are scraped with a wiry-edged knife till sufficiently thin, and are then rubbed with a woollen cloth dipped in charcoal dust and water, then with rotten stone, and lastly polished with horn shavings. The horn may be dyed by boiling it in infusions of various colored ingredients.’ ( The American Cyclopaedia, 1873) Reed & Wood

Three Ways to Attach Boning - Threads Three Ways to Attach Boning - Threads

You'll also need to cover the ends of each boning strip to keep it from tearing through the fabric. There are small metal caps available for that purpose and a rubber-like dip that dries onto the metal. I've used the metal caps and they work well, but are fiddly to get on. The dip should protect the metal from rust (at least in theory), but I have no experience with that. Spiral steel boning This application of side boning differs from the underwire casing application in that it is not stretched as it is applied and neither end is concealed under the elastics of the bra. The omission of concealment allows the boning to span a greater distance and provides for a smooth and balanced appearance at the underarm. This type of flexible corset boning is not just used in corsetry, but also in the couture industry for boning dress foundations and bodices properly. Spiral wire for corsetry flexes and bends in every direction so is best used for curvy seams - ie: over the bust and hips or for corset seams which are slightly slanted or curved.Corsets are those fancy tops that make people look great and stand tall. Boning is what gives corsets their shape and strength. There are different kinds of boning – plastic, and steel, each kind has a special job. Like baleen, they are not at all suitable for tight-lacing because they tend to permanently bend into tight corners that poke you in the ribs. Modern plastic boning In this example, I’m using the type of boning that comes in the fabric casing. I am applying the boning to the lining of the bodice, so the casing seams are visible only inside the garment, not from the outside. Modern plastic boning is very versatile (due to the varied widths) and work for corseletes as well as lingerie. It doesn't offer much support, though. If you cannot get artificial baleen, try spiral steel for a very tight corset and zip ties for a pair of stays without waist reduction. Simply using a stiffer fabric or an additional layer of fabric also adds stiffness.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment