276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All Our Hidden Gifts

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Fiona is struggling, everyone has these high expectations of her and it's too much when she still has trauma to process. She's started self harming and why does it matter? She can heal herself with her new gift. She's not "one of those girls with a problem". Nearing the end maybe she realises she does have a problem, when her powers are fading she still self harms even though she can't heal. It's become a routine of hers. I hope she can find the help she needs in the next book. This second instalment seemed to have a slower pace to it than the first and focused more on the friendships, love lives, fallings out, etc than the first. It also felt a little more sinister. I appreciated that the author went with a 3 book series, I can't imagine squishing all of this content into a duology. The end of this book got me really excited for book 3 so the setup was certainly there. There are certainly enough reveals in this second book that I don't feel it was too stretched out.

Maeve, the main character of this story, is conflicted. She is conflicted about the decisions she has made surrounding her friendships and conflicted about her place in society in general. . . .The story is well written and engaging. It also provides a perspective on how religious individuals, and the Irish community specifically, are working through the changing global perspectives of gender and gender fluidity. . . . This book is a recommended addition for high school readers interested in tarot, mysticism, and gender roles

See a Problem?

I was very excited to read this book because it focuses on tarot and I recently just learned how to read tarot. All Our Hidden Gifts by Caroline O’Donoghue is a contemporary fantasy set in Ireland about friendships, old and new, love, family and magic all mixed in a cauldron (with hints of the movie “The Craft”). I cannot recommend this series more, if you’re looking for an urban fantasy, steeped in magic, and reality, with a cast of characters that feel real, for all their flaws, strengths, and gifts. These books are also brilliant in their representation, with a non-binary character, and an overall message of standing up for, and protecting, minorities, even in the face of weaponised religion. There’s a really grittiness to these books, which I love, and it doesn’t shy away from the scary stuff, but it’s always grounded by the connections and friendships within the group, even when things are strained. The Plague has left a population divided between Elites and Ordinaries—those who have powers and those who don’t; now, an Ordinary teen fights for her life.

All Our Hidden Gifts is a beautiful, multi-layered book which combines a magical fantasy, gripping mystery and coming of age story, as we follow Maeve discover the true extent of her spiritual abilities. The whole weird homophobic cult was just something that was completely out of the blue. I think it was a very unnecessary enemy and really I think the author should’ve focused more on the magic and the characters and them investigating. The plot weaves many subplots together that work perfectly. The characters all brought something different to the story, they were three-dimensional, complex characters that all had their own issues and demons. I loved the magic element of the book too. I suppose I'll always remember this as the summer that Roe learned to drive and I learned to read minds I play the notes, push the keys, roll my finers, the same tune repeating again and again. In this house that is mine, as long as I'm alive to keep itThe book was certainly enjoyable and I loved watching the teenagers practice using their new skills, although many a time they went too far such as Fiona purposely cutting herself so she could heal herself again. The first and the last sentence is just so amazing, I never would've guessed I would love this book so much. This book in my opinion was WAY better than the first one. Maybe this is just better suited to my tastes as I liked that it was "more magical" since they had their gifts. Now onto the fun part, I’m rather concerned for myself being that I found Maeve really relatable and in the moments where she’s being depicted as the bad guy I’m fully on her side. *SPOILER* when her mom slapped her in the face and her response was to hug her?! Or when she stood up for her friends because people were being horrible to them and her friends acted like she was the villain I really had to evaluate myself because I fully felt Maeve was just in her actions. I don’t know if that’s the protective, impulsive, avenging nature in myself or if the book wasn’t fully successful in depicting Maeve as the bad guy (or maybe a combination of both). I adored Maeve and feel very connected to her upon leaving these books. Fiercely, furiously good. An utterly seductive read. -- Melinda Salisbury The talented O'Donoghue turns her hand to young adult fiction with this engrossing story of tarot, magic and teen friendship that recalls the best of Diana Wynne-Jones. - The i

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment