276°
Posted 20 hours ago

So You Really Want to Learn Latin Book 1: A Textbook for Common Entrance and GCSE

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So the best books on learning Greek for our next interview! Harry, let’s move on to—I don’t know what you call it—but what I certainly know as the Bible. I have here Kennedy’s Shorter Latin Primer though I imagine you recommend the full-length version? Due to the large vocab­u­lary, Epit­o­me His­to­ri­ae Sacrae is more dif­fi­cult than the pre­vi­ous ones on this list. You should fin­ish (i.e., not just read­ing it once) Lin­gua Lati­na Part I: Famil­ia Romanaand the exer­cise book, and you’ll be able to read Epit­o­me His­to­ri­ae Sacrae with­out too much trouble. Ad Alpes — A Tale Of Roman Life (2017 Edition)

sive Mohammedis Alcasemi, filius Alii, filius Mohammedis, filius Otmani, Hariri bazrensis, haramensis, narrationes consessuum nomine celebratae (Latin) (as Author) This series of books also emphasises the ability to learn and use conversational Latin skills, which is fairly uncommon among Latin textbooks. Note: There is anoth­er Latin text­book from Assim­il by Isabelle Ducos-Fil­ip­pi. I do not rec­om­mend this one; get the one by Clé­ment Desessard.Etymological aids, maps, and dozens of images illustrating aspects of the classical culture and mythology presented in the chapter readings . The very simple answer is that, as you will all know, the Roman Empire spread across the whole of western Europe to the fringes of Asia, from Hadrian’s Wall in the north of England right down to northern Africa, from western Spain right into Syria and beyond. It was there, on and off, in different countries, for varying from 700 to 1000 years. It had an absolutely massive effect on those countries, and still has a massive effect today: on their language, on their culture, on their history, on their architecture, on their art. By learning Latin, you have a little beginning into all those fields. I am not going to say you become an expert on all those things, but it’s the perfect introduction to 2000 years of western European history. If you're at this level of Latin knowledge, you will get endless joy out of practicing your Latin because you will not be reading the same book twice based on your choices. Books To Learn Latin North & Hillard’s Latin Prose Com­po­si­tion is a clas­sic aimed at stu­dents begin­ning to write Latin. The method is focused on trans­la­tion from Eng­lish into Latin. Note, the book still requires a com­plete under­stand­ing of Latin mor­phol­o­gy, as the book focus­es on teach­ing syn­tax and vocab­u­lary. The book starts with some prepara­to­ry exer­cis­es, which are very sim­ple, but the actu­al exer­cis­es are more difficult.

With a great mixture of easy and difficult texts, you can gain a clearer grasp of your Latin proficiency. You can read the translations but if you’re feeling pretty good about your skills, you can cover the translations and just read the Latin texts. It should be a thrilling and satisfying experience to read the original texts, too. Latin Crash Course was developed by the U.S. Government for accelerated learning aimed at gaining Latin speaking skills in just one week. Sounds too good to be true? Well, as a crash course, it is useful but don’t expect in-depth study. For all its importance and prevalence in our vocabulary, Latin can be an intimidating language to learn. Whether you are intimidated, or simply have limited time to learn, Linney’s Getting Started with Latincan be a lifesaver. Fratris Felicis Fabri Evagatorium in Terrae Sanctae, Arabiae et Egypti peregrinationem. Volumen Secundum (Latin) (as Editor)

Annaeus Seneca, Lucius

The English version is also good but it also has Latin jokes here and there so might as well go full-on Latin, yes? I sug­gest you fin­ish at least the first half of Famil­ia Romana before you begin read­ing Pugio Bru­ti. If you feel uncer­tain of your lev­el, there is help in the form of the full Latin-Eng­lish vocab­u­lary in the book and a glos­sary (where you can find every form of the words) free online. The book also repeats words in dif­fer­ent ways so that a word you might not under­stand, to begin with, will become part of your vocab­u­lary once you’ve fin­ished thebook. Epitome Historiae Sacrae: Brevi Christi Vitae Narratione Addita

When I was learn­ing Latin, I went through Bradley’s Arnold count­less times, both in writ­ing and oral­ly. After­ward, I gained new­found con­fi­dence in my knowl­edge of Latin idiom and gram­mar. It’s a detailed course and will deep­en your knowl­edge immense­ly while also mak­ing read­ing Latin much eas­i­er and more rewarding.Fab­u­lae Syrae con­tains myths and sto­ries from the clas­si­cal world retold in inter­me­di­ate Latin. Each sto­ry cor­re­sponds to a chap­ter in the sec­ond half of Famil­ia Romana and thus is a per­fect com­pan­ion to thatbook. Familia Romana contains 35 chapters describing the life of a Roman family in the 2 nd century A.D. Each chapter is divided into two or three grammar and vocabulary lessons and exercises. It also includes a table of declensions, a Roman calendar, and a word index. Lingua Latina utilizes methods that are more natural in terms of language acquisition, seeking to have the learner think in the Latin language. And not think in terms of translating from Latin to English. It wouldn’t be in my top 5 million. It’s extremely patronizing. I see you’ve brought it along tonight, Katie, shamefully. If you’re intimidated by classical Latin literature, why not start with English works that have been translated into Latin? Children’s books like Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone ( Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis), Winnie the Pooh ( Winnie Ille Pu), and The Giving Tree ( Arbor Alma) are good places to start with.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment