276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dear Greenpeace

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Reading comprehension activities are a useful way to develop the key reading skills set out in the English National Curriculum. Reading a range of well written texts and answering questions based upon them can really improve how well pupils read non fiction texts. This interactive self-marking reading comprehension based upon the work of the environmental group Greenpeace provides work at three differentiated levels to cater for a wide range of ability levels within a class. It can be shared via a PIN code so that all pupils can access it on a range of mobile devices in class or at home. This resource is also a useful way to develop understanding about the threats facing our environment and what can be done to help protect our natural world. How can I improve my child's reading comprehension? Find out about the migration of whales and plot their movements on a map of the world. How far do they travel?

It all sounds a bit nerdy, but it couldn’t be more important. It meant that nuclear, (alongside other clean energy sources like wind and solar) could get the critical financial investment needed to help save our climate. Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Greenpeace responds with the information. Greenpeace tries to emphasise that the whale wouldn't be living in a pond over a course of many letters. I must admit, initially I was wondering how it will end. I like the ending very much. Emily reads the letters from Greenpeace to her whale who she named Arthur. Then one day he disappears. Greenpeace responds saying perhaps when she is older she would like to sail the oceans studying and protecting whales with Greenpeace. The last letter is Emily saying she saw Arthur at the sea side, she told him she loves him and Greenpeace loves him too! https://images.google.ca/url?sa=t&url=https://www.liveinternet.ru/users/gusionsaber/post499368810//

https://images.google.by/url?sa=t&url=https://www.liveinternet.ru/users/gusionsaber/post499368810// If you could write a letter to anybody, who would you write to? Could you write and send your letter to them? Think of some speech / thought bubbles to accompany the illustrations in the book. What is Emily thinking? What might the whale be thinking?

Simon’s first book, The Day Jake Vacuumed, was published in 1989 – and two more books about Jake soon followed (reissued by Walker in 2002). His first title for Walker Books, My Friend Whale, was the first of several concerned with a child’s relationship with the natural world – Dear Greenpeace, Sally and the Limpet, The Wild Woods and The Birdwatchers have established Simon as one of the country’s leading author/illustrators. Leon and Bob won the Smarties Book Prize Silver Award and was the New York Times' Best Illustrated Book of the Year, and Days Like This, a collection of small poems, was shortlisted for the Kate Greenaway Medal. Baby Brains was the overall winner of the Red House Children's Book Award in 2005, voted for by 25,000 children, and Simon followed up this success with two more Baby Brains titles, Baby Brains Superstar and Baby Brains and RoboMum. Simon continues to be a much sought-after speaker in schools, and at festivals and conferences both in the UK and in the USA. A simple message. So beautifully conveyed. There is no scenario where the child is lying. Or by some magical twist there really was a whale. It is up to the reader to interpret it as he wishes. I love the story. I love the message behind it. I love the idea of protecting our animals being instilled in children. We never find out if Emily really did see a whale in her pond. I would like to think she did find Arthur in her garden and fed him cornflakes and stroked his head. I think the children would also like to believe this too as we form an attachment to Arthur throughout the book. This could easily lead on to a study about whales themselves and the journeys they take through the ocean when they go on migration. The children could imagine where Arthur goes next and continue his story as he travels through the waves. Now after finally buying a copy to keep I wish I could borrow a piece of Emily’s cheerful tenacity, which refuses her to be disappointed just because someone suggested she might be so. And I hope that I’ll be always not quite grown-up enough to say something stupid like “There is this cute book about that whale-loving kid with a too vivid imagination.” I want to remain that adult who states: “Let me introduce resourceful Emily. She’s got a whale! In her pond! And she exactly knows who to ask for information without even having to involve her parents.”This is a magical little story about wildlife, ecology and even touches on loneliness, as many of the illustrations have Emily alone in her preoccupation, with family life hurrying on around her. Imagine that Lucy sees her whale again at a later date. Could you write a story about an adventure that they might have together? The book also highlights the important work that Greenpeace does. Looking at the scientific advice Greenpeace gives to Emily, ‘Blue whales are blue and they eat tiny shrimp-like creatures that live in the sea.” shows they are experts in their field but are always willing to share their knowledge with children. The contrast between the scientific language used by Greenpeace and the conversational tone of Emily’s letters with short sentences, ‘I think I should call him Arthur, what do you think?’ can be compared when studying the language of different letters.

Until next time, do good looking for adventures, clean your ears out for good listening and turn your noggins (brains) on for good learning. World Earth Day was last week, and here is a story on that subject – Dear Greenpeace by Simon James. This is a delightful story about a a little girl who is convinced that there is a whale in her pond and writes to Greenpeace to ask how to look after it. Of course, Greenpeace think she’s telling a tall tale until…The empathy and care shown by the characters in the story is one for all of us to remember to give to our world, and ourselves. I must point out to you quite forcibly now that in no way could a whale live in your pond. You may not know that whales are migratory, which means they travel great distances each day. I am sorry to disappoint you. The book also highlights the exciting opportunities that Greenpeace can offer, ‘Perhaps when you are older you would like to sail the oceans studying and protecting whales with us.’ The forlorn Emily sitting on her bed now has hope of adventure and protecting whales like Arthur which takes the sting out of him leaving. Her room surrounded by posters and books of whales shows how she has continued her learning and has been studying already. Showing children that there are jobs where you can study the things you are passionate about is also a really important message. Unlike some of the people that run Greenpeace, it’s my generation that will have to live with the consequences of climate change. In my experience young people tend to be open minded to all solutions, including nuclear. It’s an emergency after all!

The essence of the humour in this story stems from Greenpeace’s replies, each one a little more adamant that there is absolutely “NO” possibility of a large sea mammal residing in a garden pond. Emily is completely undeterred and continues seeking advice out of concern for her whale, and her replies are just as hilarious. The beautiful illustrations capture the enchantment of childhood and let the reader in on the fact that Emily and her whale are enjoying time together! It s about Emily who writes to Greenpeace regarding a whale she saw in her pond. She asks for more information on whales. Although Emily receives unquestionably polite but incredulous answers like this one each time she writes, she does not stop pestering Greenpeace for advice. For there is a huge, blue whale in her pond in Plymouth, Devonshire, England, and who would be more capable of helping her make him feel comfortable than the famous experts on all things wildlife and environmental?

Look at photos of whales and use these as the starting point for your own illustrations, pictures and paintings.After leaving school, he trained to be a police officer but was asked to leave for drawing penguins in his police notebook. Find out about the sizes of different animals (including humans and whales) and use this to create some graphs and charts. In 2022, the European Parliament voted to classify carbon-free nuclear energy as “sustainable” and to include it in an important list called the “Green Taxonomy'' for sustainable finance. This was a HUGE win for science and a MASSIVE bit of good news for me and my gener ation. Choose an animal and make a list of similarities and differences between your chosen animal and a whale.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment