276°
Posted 20 hours ago

PUMA Men's Liberate Nitro Running Shoe

£33.04£66.08Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The supercritical Nitro midsole provided a responsive ride that embraced the simplistic joy of running. And they didn’t stop there, refining those models in concurrent versions, fixing the things that didn’t work and keeping the things that did. Oh, and they also put a race day shoe (Deviate Nitro Elite) on Molly Seidel as she took home bronze at the Tokyo Olympics. The upper also deserves praise for performing well in a wide range of conditions, from humid and 90°F to unseasonably cool and damp to hard rain. It neither trapped heat nor retained moisture, whether that moisture came from my feet, the sky, or puddles on trails. Versatility: ROBBE: While I didn’t have any major issues, I could see the no-cushion collar giving some people some problems. There’s no padding whatsoever and it has the potential to create some abrasion issues. Other than that, it’s really hard for me to come up with anything bad that would keep me from buying this shoe. Shop Puma Liberate – Men Shop Puma Liberate – Women Puma Liberate Nitro Conclusion Jérémy : Despite the differences between these models, the spirit is the same: fairly simple shoes (less and less with the years on the Kinvaras side...), flexible, versatile, standard bearer of natural running from its beginnings. The Liberate is lighter, more cushioned, more lively, will undoubtedly have a better lifespan (difficult to do worse than the Kinvara 3 and 5….), has better grip… in short will be more effective whatever the use. And yet the Kinvara are a model that has a special place in my “Footwear Hall of Fame”. A big scratch from the feline! Finally, good single-leg balance is key given that minimal shoes will not provide as much stability or guidance compared to traditional shoes. Working on being able to balance for AT LEAST 30 seconds with your eyes closed will demonstrate solid balance and proprioception.

Affordable prices for the three models reviewed (not only affordable in absolute terms but also very competitive) As far as the Voyage Nitro, we didn’t even know this shoe existed in previous versions, so we have no idea what to compare it against. But let us say that this shoe looks incredible, so we’re cool with it no matter how it performs. Presented as a “racing flat” dedicated to 5 / 10km on the road, the shoe is actually much more versatile and accompanies the runner on all kinds of paces. I tried it on recovery runs between 5:30/ km and 6:00/ km and where I really let myself go but I also pushed it under 3: 00min / km and I had no bad surprises whatsoever. A few things that may be helpful to help make a safe transition include calf flexibility, 1st toe mobility, adequate calf endurance and good balance.The Deviate compares to the Velocity midsole in terms of stiffness. The addition of a full-length carbon plate further stiffens the whole thing. No EVA insert but the TPU clip remains. Remarkable upper on the Liberate (light, flexible, and resistant monomesh) and the Deviate (very light, more structured, comparable to the upper of the Pegasus Turbo 2)

Performance: A (Fun and rather versatile ride, really light on the foot, functional for lots of different workouts and even daily miles) Note that the midsole gets narrower in the midfoot. You cannot feel it in the fit nor when running which is good. Underneath the midsole is a 4cm by 1.5cm deep hole within which you can see the carbon plate. The weight is here again guilty for killing a bit the Nitro foam fun, which cannot express itself fully here. Too bad because in my opinion Nitro and carbon can go hand in hand very well on a lighter shoe.In the end, the layer of Nitro Foam that is so engaging on the Liberate is a little extinguished by the EVA part and the additional rigidity and weight. You won’t find the same feeling of rebound, "fun" that you’ll feel on the Liberate. The overall feeling is more akin to classic running shoe sensations. The addition of Puma's super-foam is more discreet, and mainly comes into play for comfort over the long runs, allowing the Velocity to be a good choice for long races with pace, with a welcome stability….and excellent, versatile everyday trainer. Like Alex, too much padding around the heel collar on the Velocity leading to a bit of discomfort on the run, in an otherwise comfortable upper. And it soaks up water making an already heavy shoe even heavier. The Velocity has the brightest color of the three pairs in my opinion (the tones are very close though). But what is most obvious is the heel padding and the prominence of the TPU clip around the heel, in the middle of the midsole. The volume available at the front is more than generous, awkward sizing helping, and the toe box is slightly stretchable thanks to the flexibility of the monomesh. The tongue is also very well made, thin and reasonably padded at the same time, it does not interfere at all with the top of the foot but is not too thin and doesn’t move around when running. Some shoes (Next%, Hyperion Tempo) had even thinner tongues that were going a bit all over the place when lacing, or worse when running.

The midsole is obviously much less flexible because of some additional rubber on the outsole but also because the EVA insert that stiffens a good third at the rear of the shoe. But that midsole also provides plenty of bouncy cushion. This isn’t a shoe that asks you to trade protection for performance. The midsole foam is soft to the touch, and nicely accommodates heel landings at any pace. The ride firms up as you transition to toe-off. One result is that the 10-millimeter heel-to-toe drop isn’t as noticeable as is the case in many other models with a similar construction. The rigidity removes the playful and supple, almost airy feel of the Liberate. Weight isn't much of an issue but because of the EVA insert, the Nitro foam can't deliver its full potential. Surprisingly, I found that even with a sole of 32mm at the rear and 22mm at the front, the ground feel is good. Cushioning is firm without being hard, and the stiffness is only horizontal and the midsole has some give to it vertically for cushion and rebound. NOTABLE FEATURES: The first version of this shoe was the one that Molly wore for Tokyo, and it’s hard to give a better endorsement than a third-place finish against the best in the world. Even with the Fast-R available to athletes, you still see most Puma elites going with the Deviate Elite.Skratch Recovery, Coffee Flavor:Mental and physical boost post run. Coffee flavor is excellent and goes great straight into a fresh brewed cup The bad news is that the Run XX is pretty much the same shoe, except it gets an upper update. If you like those things, maybe you’ll like this shoe, but we’re not sure if it needs to exist. It does look good, though. PUMA VOYAGE NITRO 2 THOMAS: When it’s time to go light and fast Puma has the Liberate Nitro for you. While it doesn’t have a plate like the race-ready Deviate Elite Nitro, the design is pretty similar, and the weights are virtually identical. Simply put, the Liberate is the tempo day shoe that will set you up for race day in the Deviate Elite. My Puma lineup would be as follows:

But safe from those extremes, the Velocity will fill the bill by ensuring excellent dynamism and good propulsion when pushing. Qualities already seen on the recent Adidas Boston, which I found magnified in the Puma model. Alex : Intuitively this is a pair to be compared with the Velocity. The Liberate is too light for the benchmark to hold. The comfort is perhaps a little better on the Infinity v2 because there is no discomfort associated with the oppressive heel collar of the Velocity. In terms of stability, the Velocity offers a more natural and less forced approach: the TPU clip is unobtrusive while the “magic” clip of the Infinity (supposed to protect the knees ...) can be noticed by some runners negatively by some running. Both are rather firm but the Nitro foam is less on the hard side of firmness and therefore advantage to the Velocity, which is more versatile and less expensive (-40 €). Dr. David Salas is a 135 lb male with notable PRs ranging from 3:54 in the 1500m to 1:08:36 for half marathon. He typically runs 60 to 70 miles per week and trains from about 7:30 recovery runs to fast shorter efforts at 4:30 pace. He normally prefers neutral shoes with a firmer ride, but is completely open to other types of shoes. He is a footwear enthusiast at heart and will always appreciate a high quality shoe when it comes around. For updates on training or testing, IG handle: @docsofrundavidA lot of good things about this model which combines lightness, support, dynamism and offers a flexible, lively but always controlled ride experience. The nitrogen infused Nitro foam is in the spotlight and fully expresses itself. Puma has developed a really nice, playful but also supportive foam and it is on the Liberate that it shows its real strengths. Phenomenal grip and the really competitive price at 110 €. My favorite in the lineup! The outsole can be cut into two parts, with a PumaGrip insert over a large part in the forefoot, and another insert in the heel. The material is a bit noisy, banging on the ground, but we will forgive this downside as the grip offered is nothing but excellent. Equipped with small, slightly textured lugs, I have never experienced the slightest skidding or stalling, whether on paths or on wet asphalt.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment