276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Thin Air: The most chilling and compelling ghost story of the year

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Unable to sleep one night, I came across some mountaineering books in my study, and read into the small hours. They're following in the footsteps of an expedition that went notoriously awry, and from the beginning, their mission is under something of a dark cloud after they're warned off Kangchenjunga by one of the only men to have survived that previous attempt.

Michelle Paver Books | Waterstones Michelle Paver Books | Waterstones

Thin Air is an edge-of-your-seat reading experience that will leave you frosty-fingered and shivering as you hurriedly leaf through its pages to reach its startling climax. Dr Pearce finds the jungle oppressive and dislikes the superstition and fear which surrounds the mountain. I can see this being one of those books I’ll enjoy reading year after year, without it losing any of its impact.Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer's nonfiction account of the 1996 Mount Everest Disaster -- which contains zero ghosts -- is much spookier and more unsettling than this book. The "sahibs" express the same gung-ho "let's beat the Hun" values and there's the same dated, dismissive attitude towards the "coolies" and their "backward superstitions". Thin Air is a creepy, compelling tale of a Himalayan climbing expedition, where strange events on the mountain stir dread and panic. I don't know why I didn't see it coming but when Stephen was abandoned at Camp 3, it was awhile until I truly thought he was a goner and that all of his paranoid imaginings had actualized. She went trekking in the Himalayas and used this experience and comprehensive reading to craft her tale.

Thin Air – Michelle Paver

Even as something as simple as one of the men in the mountaineering party refusing to provide sherpas with shoes! I liked the idea that one of the men from the previous expedition was left behind and that Stephen Pearce felt haunted.Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. Paver does a good job mimicking the voice of a British explorer in the George Mallory/Edmund Hillary vein (or rather such a man's slightly more sympathetic younger brother). Additionally, opting for the 1930s golden era of mountain climbing adds somehow that fashionable 'old' feel to it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment