276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Midsomer Murders - Shot At Dawn [DVD]

£3.45£6.90Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Why You Shouldn’t Visit: The Roald Dahl Museum might cast a spell on you. You’ll leave with more books than you can carry.

Nice filming location Midsomer Murders? Situated between Aylesbury and High Wycombe, Princes Risborough is a town that’s often seen on the little screen in Midsomer episodes. It has the audacity to be both charming and steeped in history. The production values of "Shot at Dawn" are great as usual. The episode looks good and the music fits to the scenery. The acting's fine. Brian Capron is not bad in this episode and neither is Samantha Bond. The most intriguing performance is given by George Cole though... Dimensional Thinking: Arabella Hammond, being chased by a hay baler, attempts to flee directly away from it. Granted that turning may not have helped as the baler was being steered, but she could have at least tried, as it would have taken time for the baler to turn. The way Barnaby treats Jones is very similar to the way Insp. Henry Crabbe treats his various sergeants in "Pie In The Sky". The Barnabys' daughter Cully does not appear in this episode - Crabbe and his wife, Margaret, did not have children.Then of course, since there is a feud, there must also be a romance...or two... between characters from the two families. No surprise there. What IS surprising is the relatively explicit nudity, which has not been a regular part of MM in the past.

Shot at Dawn is the first episode of the eleventh series of Midsomer Murders and originally aired 1 January 2008. Why You Shouldn’t Visit: With a name like Cuddington, you might never want to leave. And can you really afford to disappear into a fictional English county? The whole characterisation of Tom Barnaby is markedly different from normal - in the pub "fight" scene, Barnaby displays a degree of middle-middle class food snobbery which you might expect from part-time restaurateur Henry Crabbe, less so from full-time copper Tom Barnaby. Richard Griffiths (RIP) played Henry Crabbe as a "crabby" character, but with a lightness of touch and a degree of sly humour which John Nettles did not bother to bring to this re-characterisation of Tom Barnaby.Waste of time too were the third rate WW I scenes, and how did a man who ran from battle, sentenced to death for cowardice, ever earn a name on the plaque of fallen heroes? Outrageous, as nothing suggested that he was anything but what he had been convicted of. In fact it was misleading as one might have thought that there was some conspiracy maintained through several generations that would be unraveled during the episode, but it was in fact filler for feuding families and that is all, and haven't we seen that before on this show? The feuding families that is. Barnaby and Jones walk into this maelstrom. But there's another murder and an old secret awaiting them. If you have watched several dozen episodes as I have, from first through this one, this is probably one of the worst, if not the worst, to date. Disjointed for most of the episode, with some unintended hilarity if you think about it; in scenes like the tractor scene or the machine gun scene. These are yet another set of five Midsomer locations that you should avoid at all costs—unless you’re fine with the risk of never wanting to leave such dreadful beauty. But don’t worry, we’ve still got more places to caution you about. Keep an eye out for our next dive into this paradoxical paradise. 16. Princes Risborough As has been said by me a number of times, 'Midsomer Murders' is one of my most watched and most re-watched shows. It is nowhere near as good now and the Tom Barnaby-era wasn't alien to average or less episodes, but when it was on form or at its best boy was it good.

The infinite sprawl of Midsomer villages, each more enchanting and perilous than the last. Officially, the number stands at around 30, but who’s counting when you’re too busy dodging homicide? It’s like asking how many teabags make a perfect brew—always one more than you think! What village is Midsomer Murders filmed in? The solution to the mystery (Lionel did it) was not clever in any way and is quite obvious from the start as well. Shot at Dawn" was a pretty poor start to Season 11, and is down there as one of my least favourite Tom Barnaby-era episodes (in a list that comprises of the likes of "Second Sight", "The Electric Vendetta", "the Straw Woman" and from memory "Blood on the Saddle") and perhaps one of my least favourite 'Midsomer Murders' episodes ever. It is an episode that starts off with a great opening sequence but falls rapidly downhill. Even the leaking kitchen roof scene echoes similar scenes of leaking pipes in the restaurant kitchen in "Pie In The Sky". I could go on, but if you have read this far you are probably having trouble staying awake. Darek’s Take: “Princes Risborough felt like a chapter straight out of a storybook, except with fewer dragons and more detectives.”McGuffin: Barnaby has proof of who the murderer is in a box, and even refers to it as a “ McGuffin” when Jones asks him what it is.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment