276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents: (Discworld Novel 28) (Discworld Novels)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The rats of the Clan feel it too, and many become so afraid that they all but forget how to think and reason.

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents: (Discworld

Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Violence & Scariness in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close I remember being given a copy of Reaper Man when I was a wee boy. When Death took on the prototype mechanical harvester, my first major author-crush began and it's never let-up. Maurice and his educated rodents were previously mentioned in the eleventh Discworld novel, Reaper Man (1991), although the characters in that novel are aware of the fraud perpetrated by Maurice and the rats. [4] Plot summary [ edit ] Maher, Kevin (29 June 2023). "The Amazing Maurice review — meta gags ruin rat caper". The Times. ISSN 0140-0460 . Retrieved 30 June 2023.This is a film with a lot of charm, and gives cinema its most lovable rats since Ratatouille. But I did wonder at points who the audience is. Little ’uns may be puzzled by the sophisticated wordplay – in particular the meta commentary of Emilia Clarke’s character Malicia, the clever clogs bookworm daughter of the mayor of Furry Bottom, as she pokes fun at plot cliches. And older kids may feel too grown up for cute fluffy talking animals. a b Ramachandran, Naman (5 November 2020). "Hugh Laurie, Emilia Clarke to Voice Terry Pratchett Adaptation 'The Amazing Maurice' ". Variety. Archived from the original on 5 November 2020 . Retrieved 7 November 2020.

The Amazing Maurice - Wikipedia

They didn’t notice that some rats stayed on the bridge, urging the others with shouts of ‘Remember, strong regular strokes!’ and ‘There’s a nice beach just downstream!’ and ‘Hit the water feet first, it won’t hurt so much!’Maurice watched them argue again. Humans, eh? Think they're lords of creation. Not like us cats. We know we are. Ever see a cat feed a human? Case proven.

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents - Sir Terry

But in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to his later YA books that feature Tiffany Aching: Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, etc. As in all of Pratchett’s books, though, there is a lot going on besides talking rats and some dubiously naïve villagers. This is also one of his darker outings, which again makes me wonder about this being marketed to wee ones, unless Pratchett in his INFINITE AND IMPRESSIVE GENIUS makes that point, it is the young ones who can still get the irony of sentient rats pretending to be led away by a fake flutist. The book has been adapted for the stage twice: first by Stephen Briggs in 2003 and published by Oxford Playscripts, [5] then in 2011 as a musical by Matthew Holmes, published by Collins Musicals. [6] Both versions are designed for use in schools. All the rats' names derive from the words they have seen written on tins before they knew what the words meant, and they have called themselves whatever they thought sounded interesting. Pratchett puns on this, such as the doubting rat, who was called "Tomato" (as in Doubting Thomas). The Amazing Maurice’ is the first animated feature film to be based on a Terry Pratchett novel – ‘ The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents’. The novel was the 28th in the Discworld® series and the first primarily written for a younger audience, winning the Carnegie Medal in 2001.Lodge, Guy (30 January 2023). " 'The Amazing Maurice' Review: Spry British Animated Romp Shows a Cat (or Even a Rat) May Look at a King". Variety . Retrieved 30 June 2023. On 6 April 2021, Tom Howe was announced to composed the film's musical score. [12] Release [ edit ] But Bad Blintz is different. This is a town that REALLY HATES RATS! There are full-time Rat Catchers paying 50 cents a tail and traps and poisons and a mysterious voice that gets inside your head and Malicia, a book-loving girl who won't stop talking. It’s just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night—’ I've only got a couple more Discworld books I've not read, both part of the Tiffany Aching y-a series. And then I will (after many years of negligence) be 100% up-to-date with the series!

The Amazing Maurice (2022) - IMDb

It means we can break into their shed and solve the mystery of the bootlace tails!’ said Malicia. She gave Maurice a critical look. ‘Of course, it would be more … satisfying if we were four children and a dog, which is the right number for an adventure, but we’ll make do with what we’ve got.’ My daughter cried herself to sleep, poor love. I think if she was a year older, she would have been fine. While I regret taking her and distressing her, it remains a good and quirky film. Parfitt, Orlando (5 November 2020). "Sky sets animated feature 'The Amazing Maurice' with Hugh Laurie, Emilia Clarke (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Archived from the original on 5 November 2020 . Retrieved 6 November 2020.Pratchett won the annual Carnegie Medal from the British librarians, recognising the year's best children's book published in the U.K. [2] It was his first major award. [1] Series [ edit ] Upon arriving in town, the group discovers that the people are convinced of a massive rat infestation, and have spent much of their savings on two rat catchers. Despite their efforts, food continues to disappear from the town. Probably the wrong place,’ she said. ‘I’ll just rest my arm innocently on this coat hook.’ A sudden door in the wall completely failed to happen. I very much enjoyed Terry Pratchett’s first foray into young adult literature. I know he’s written a handful of YA books (many of them also set in the Discworld), but I wish he had written more. He was very good at it! An extra easter egg are the innuendos on kids and young adults literature and movies, some kind of indirect fourth wall break, because the serious, heavy, often boring adult classics Pratchett satirizes in many of his other works are exchanged with the really good kids' stuff. It also shows that even in the, allegedly simple, literature for young bookworms, there is so much potential for remixing, reinterpreting, and retelling that one would wish to get into a time machine to be able to enjoy it once again, or sadly often the first time, with the full immersive pleasure of being young again.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment