276°
Posted 20 hours ago

XGIMI Elfin Mini Projector Ultra Compact 1080P Portable, 4K Input Supported 600 ISO Lumens, Harman Kardon Speaker, Auto Focus ISA Technology Android TV 10.0, Wireless Casting WiFi Bluetooth

£279.5£559.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In practice, I never hear the Elfin when watching a movie, but can hear the Elfin in quiet moments. Despite the differing brightnesses of 400 ISO Lumens for the MoGo 2 Pro nad 800 ANSI Lumens for the Elfin, in practice both projectors are similarly bright. The Elfin projector isn’t an approved Netflix device, so even through Google TV is the OS, you’ll probably still want to use a cheap streaming dongle as the easiest way to access the streaming service. Photo: Andrew Liszewski - Gizmodo The Xgimi Elfin, on the other hand, is much more capable. It’s not perfect – it’s got its share of flaws too, though none of them big enough to be deal-breakers. It’s fast, stable and portable yet also ideal for home use. Best of all though, it’s got a price tag that’s affordable enough for many people and reasonable enough considering its features. Still, I enjoyed watching movies and my favorite shows on the Xgimi Elfin. Everything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Doctor Who to Shang-Chi and countless Christmas movies look great, and are immersive enough that I don’t really feel the need to switch to my actual 4K TV in the living room.

Auto keystone correction will always get you a square picture, although it’s best to try to get the Elfin as square on as possible first. New to this projector is Intelligent Obstacle Avoidance – if the projector spots a light switch or other protrusion, it will adjust the screen size to avoid it. Testing on my wall, the Elfin automatically avoided the consumer unit on the wall. The XGIMI Elfin mini projector offers a lot on paper that you might not expect from a relatively cheap, small model, like HDR10, intelligent screen adjustments, Harman / Kardon sound and 800 ANSI Lumens, together with a Full HD image. But, the Elfin suffers in the same ways as the XGIMI Halo when it comes to darker content. It doesn’t provide a lot of detail in the dark, making it hard to see. And, for static areas in the dark, it has the same dithering issue we’d seen before, where we see a color rapidly switching between shades to simulate a color but failing to switch fast enough to be imperceptible. The XGIMI Elfin projects up to 200 inches, which meets various projection requirements. Elfin features 600 ISO Lumens. The Elfin projector features a pair of 3-watt Harman Kardon speakers built in, and while they’re plenty loud, the bass performance leaves something to be desired. Don’t expect the full movie theater experience unless you pair the projector with external speakers. Photo: Andrew Liszewski - GizmodoFor Android users, the XGIMI team is currently working on updating this feature; please stay tuned.

As is typical for projectors with Android TV, you have to sign in to Google to set up streaming before you can use another video source. There's no Ethernet port, leaving Wi-Fi as the only choice for connecting to your internet-connected network. When the distance from the lens to the screen is the same, the smaller the projection ratio is, the larger the screen can throw.

Physical setup is easy. Connect an image source to the HDMI port (optional), turn the power on, and adjust the image size, preferably by moving the projector as needed. Focus is automatic, and worked nicely in my tests. Horizontal and vertical keystone correction, as well as digital zoom, are also available, but better avoided since they reduce brightness and can introduce artifacts. There's also an automatic obstacle avoidance feature which can fit the picture to the screen, or a blank section of a wall—to avoid projecting part of the image on a framed picture or light switch for example. However, it's generally better to avoid using it, since it will give you a dimmer image than if you reposition the projector to get the smaller picture size.

There’s a wide range of apps available through the full version of Android TV installed in the Elfin. Although Netflix needs a workaround, it does run on the Elfin – this process is covered further down this review.It’s very clever and means that no matter where you plug in the Elfin, you’ll get the best picture possible. Of course, you can override the settings if you want manual control. Performance There’s no major input lag. I’ve seen it measured at about 26ms, and it’s not noticeable for casual gaming.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment