276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Guest: twisty, thrilling and addictive - the perfect holiday read!

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Leah is finally feeling like she is able to visit her family's resort a year after her niece, Amy, died there. She's not liking what she sees when she gets there and starts an investigation of her own to try to find out what really happened to Amy. I liked this part of the story. It was a great read and left me pondering what would I do in each pair of shoes. You’ll be stunned at times when you think you’ve got the picture and outcome sussed. The only reason is a sold 4 stars not 5 was that the police investigation could of been more realistic. There are things around that which would not happen and things missed that were obvious. Aside from that tiny thing it’s a great book to read on holiday (or maybe not a good idea) or anywhere really but be VERY careful who you get to know on your holiday! A thriller that relies on misdirection while dealing with issues of family, love, mental health, assault, and suicide.

A normal, every day joe gets himself mixed up with a womanizing asshole and finds himself chasing after a girl, who drowns in front of him but doesn’t try to save her? All he wanted was her phone. Could he not think through this? A dead body is discovered in the pool at the resort, Laila thinks she knows the truth about what has happened. she realises that everyone is under suspicion. However, it becomes clear to Laila and James that they are not the only ones who have secrets. But, secrets have a way of coming out......and they will come out in the end.Somehow, our main perp knows Aunt Leah is going to Italy and will want to look into Amy’s death? The same perp somehow know’s Amy’s friend and her family’s private housekeeper even though, he (a foreigner on a week long biz trip) was holed up in his private villa and by his own admission was “never there.” The dude sells watches for hell’s sake yet, somehow he is making things happen like the mafia. Laila thinks she knows the truth of what happened. But in telling Em what she's seen, she stands to lose everything she holds dear. A taut, clever whodunnit, masterfully structured, beautifully written, with an intriguing cast and some heart-wrenching moral dilemmas' Gilly Macmillan I had a bit of trouble connecting to any of the characters. I felt that much of what happened could have been solved by the characters talking to each other rather than jumping to conclusions. That being said, they (for the most part) grew on me a bit as the book continued. I couldn’t figure out what Joanna’s storyline had to do with anything else but once it was revealed I was surprised that I hadn’t made the connection earlier. When Callum is upgraded to stable condition, the doctor insists that if he wants to be released from the hospital, it must be to a place where he has help. Joanna feels compelled, out of compassion and the guilt that haunts her, to open her home to him. He accepts. When they talk, Callum is cagey with his answers to her questions. Joanna is certain that he’s lying and trying to avoid talking about himself. What is he hiding, and can she keep his presence in her house a secret?

But Leah, her aunt, feels something's amiss, and when she leaves England to visit her family at the Il Mandarino resort, she finds that her sister, brother-in-law, and surviving niece are acting strangely. It's like Amy never existed, or at least they're moving on with life as though their daughter and sister didn't meet a terrible fate. But Leah's not buying it, and is determined to uncover what happened to Amy that night, even if it means putting everyone in danger. A luxury Italian resort with a dark side. A cast of suspicious, secretive characters. The Other Guest is an eerie and atmospheric mystery that kept me guessing from start to finish.”– Allie Reynolds, author of Shiver With its keep-you-guessing story line and holiday setting, fans of domestic thrillers will devour' Heat magazine Em has no idea who Laila is, or that she has been watching her and her teenage sons and husband so intently. Negatives aside, I did read the whole story and felt it was readable and an okay story. I just felt a but misguided from the beginning when I expected so much more. felt a little bit let down by this book. The cover and the title really caught my eye, but I didn't really get how they tied in with the book itself.

The Other Guest by Helen Cooper is available on July 26th. I look forward to reading more from the mega-talented Helen Cooper. Reading Helen Cooper's book The Other Guest is like solving a puzzle. Pieces slowly come together for an outstanding conclusion. The story is about three women, Leah, Joanna, and Amy told in alternating timelines. For Leah and Joanna to move forward with their lives, these women must distinguish the truth from a web of lies. Laila loves watching people and soon becomes obsessed with one of the families at the resort. She is so jealous of Em and her husband and their two boys Theo and Issac. Laila has been taken away on a luxurious holiday by her husband James. After many failed attempts at IVF, James has told Laila he no longer wants to try for a baby and hopes this holiday will be exactly what they both need.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment