276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book of Drugs: A Memoir

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Well, in the Book of Drugs, that question is answered. Here we see Mike in the grip of mania and depression; we see him in moments of in-your-face anger and then detached resignation. His self-destructive behavior, often erupting through serial addiction to drugs and alcohol, is run down in unsparing detail. And, more striking than anything else, we see a man actively torturing himself with his own past.

In most biographies of bands, the members are childhood or college friends before they start playing music together. There's usually this vibe of, like, "These hungry kids just somehow found each other in this crazy world, and the rest is history." Boost (STR 1, 60eb/dose) Boost increases INT by +1 for some hours. Benefits: INT+1; Duration 1d10 Hours. Who knows. But that said, I'd love to experience the literary Rashomon that would occur if the bass player, drummer, and sampler player were to respond with their own memoirs. I don't doubt that MD had extremely toxic relationships with the three of them, but I wondered early on if the other members of the band had similarly damning stories about MD's behavior. How did they experience the band? They obviously inhabited very different realities. MD at least owns up to becoming a real asshole as the band wore him down and his addictions became more controlling, so I'd probably be more inclined to trust his self-reflective version of events than the reactionary, self-righteous response that I'd anticipate from any of them. But it'd still be an interesting read. Fans of Doughty, those who hang on his drawn syllables and poetic songs, will appreciate the book. It has all the sardonic humor that someone familiar with his live show would expect." Offbeat.com, 2/10/12"Chronicles Soul Coughing's rise and fall, Doughty's tragic, funny and strange struggles with addiction, and his even weirder experiences in recovery." New School Free Press, 2/7/12"[Doughty] invites readers into his sardonic world." The Agit Reader Surge (STR 1, 112.5eb/dose) Trauma Team International! This drug acts like an endorphin. The patient receives a burst of energy an can ignore the need for food and sleep and receives a bonus to his Stun and Death Save. Benefits: Bonus to Stun and Death Saves is 1; Duration 1d10 Hours.Maisto, Stephen A., Mark Galizio, and Gerard J. Connors. 2015. Drug use and abuse. 7th ed. Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning. A practical, user-friendly guidebook covering the entire range of psychoactive drugs and aspects of drug-taking behavior. Some of them, yes. But some have real serious drug problems – but even for them their treatment problem is more serious than their drug problem. Not only an open look by Doughty at his past addiction problems, but a smart, funny, and honest view of the late 80s/early 90s NY music scene, Doughty's years with the band Soul Coughing, and what it was like to reach the other side of a very dark place. Don't for a moment think that Mike Doughty has written your typical I-got-clean-and-now-I'm-above-all-that sort of book."

I feel bad that the person I know has gone through so much, felt so alone so much of the time. But reading this, as probably reading anyone's diary would have the same effect, it's hard to rectify that this even *is* the same person I know. Throughout the book - even when he describes more recent times - when he talks about women, his perceptions of them and his treatment of them, it actually makes me nauseous. A comprehensive textbook on the impact of drug use and abuse on American society and one’s daily life, as examined from a balance of historical, biological, psychological, and sociological perspectives.Slammer (STR 2, 480eb/dose) Slammer is a violent psychoactive used by combat troops and some totalitarian police forces. It is illegal, but widely available and popular among street samurai, gang members and anyone else who enjoys senseless violence. It is taken in derm form. Benefits: Saves-2, REF+2, INT-2, Duration: d10 hours. The themes are often dark, but they also underscore the absurdities that often accompany life's greatest traumas. The book recalls, in places, the wildest work of Hunter S. Thompson but with considerably more heart." Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, 2/16/12" The Book of Drugs is very funny, although Doughty is brutal in both his self-evaluation and his thoughts of others around him." New Orleans Times-Picayune, 2/11/12"Written matter-of-factly, it has little use for sentimentality or sloganeering." LargeHeartedBoy.com, 2/17/12"A captivating and brutally honest story of addiction and recovery." StereoSubversion.com, 2/16/12 Hypercoagulin (STR 3, 97eb/dose) When injected into a patient with a bleeding wound, this causes instant coagulation and a cessation of bleeding within 1D4 + 1 seconds. The drug should be injected as close to the wound as possible. An injection prior to sustaining a wound will have no effect. Very small overdoses of this drug will kill. For this reason, hypercoagulin can be a useful assassination tool. Benefits: Stops bleeding (First Aid+2). I was raised on Soul Coughing. My parents played their music in the car and Mike Doughty's luscious poetry coloured my understanding of the world. I've always thought of him as a genius -- godlike and propelled by blinding creativity.

The book is rich with similarly potent quotations, among them two that capture the different faces of alcoholism. This one from Edgar Allan Poe, who died very young from the effects of drinking, sums up the paradox of self-destructiveness: “the unfathomable longing of the soul to vex itself, to offer violence to its own nature, to do wrong for the wrong’s sake”. Whereas Caroline Knapp describes how “liquor occupies the role of a lover or constant companion”. William Burroughs recounts that “heroin is momentary freedom from the claims of the ageing, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh”. Which of us hasn’t had similar longings to escape? This is a mature view of addiction from someone with immense experience of it Relix, January/February 2012"Love stories to drugs that [Doughty] had to quit. Suddenly, the fine points of 'The Huffer and the Cutter, ' about love between damaged people, takes on an even deeper meaning." Booklist, 12/28/11 In any case, most of their basic problems are probably not helped by taking amphetamines. So I have no objection to programmes designed to get people to stop using. But there ought to be some limit to the damage done in the process. Communion (STR 1, 120eb/dose) A bitter powder usually dissolved in heavily-sugared tea and drink, Communion causes users to experience a completely satisfying spiritual experience, perceived as a blissful union with their deity. A vision encompassing all five senses sweeps users away, and usually result in an affirmation of faith and a belief that they have been given a specific task or message from God. Benefits: Euphoria, Hallucinogen. Duration: d6x10 Minutes.A comprehensive textbook on drug use and abuse in America, with extensive features related to clinical substance-abuse treatment cases from the files of the authors. Mike Doughty has cured me of that second-guessing, I think. I like his music (and that of Soul Coughing) and reading almost half of this book hasn't changed that... it's just reinforced that the fringe was the best place for me. That self-loathing that builds into self-destruction

A] spectacular new memoir...A whirlwind, flash-fiction-style account of [Doughty's] life...A painful, funny, acidic memoir." Neurovine (STR 2, 1000eb/dose) This is an antidote for nerve poison. If taken within 15 seconds of poisoning (assuming you’re not dead), a Neurovine injection helps stabilize the poison until further treatment can be sought. Note that Neurovine is in itself frequently deadly. Benefits: Gives you a chance to survive BioToxins. A comprehensive textbook on drug-taking behavior in America from the perspective of the criminal justice system, and the governmental regulations that have been designed to deal with the adverse societal impact of substance abuse. Yes. They practise physical and psychological abuse against people who are not yet adults, and there is some sexual abuse, though obviously that’s not part of the programme. But deliberate degradation and humiliation is part of the programme.

The More Then Complete List of Drugs for Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

MDA-Cubed (STR 4, 750eb) This bitter pink-white pill embossed with a pink or red heart gives with it the guarantee of the ultimate orgasm. As the effects of the drug begin, the user begins to feel a oneness for all things, an overwhelming love for the universe, a rejection of conventional sexual mores, and an incredibly potent desire to blissfully copulate with the nearest object. Users are known to have had sex with people outside their sexual orientation, with people they hate, with family members, minors, house pets, reptiles, and electrical appliances. Benefits: Euphoria, Aphrodisiac. Duration: d10 hours.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment