276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Plymouth Navy Strength Dry Gin, 70 cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

verifyErrors }}{{ message }}{{ /verifyErrors }}{{ Portobello Road also recently launched its own navy strength gin (though it is currently unavailable in the U.S.). Four Pillars, New York Distilling Co., and Colorado’s Leopold Brothers also debuted navy strength gins.

When gunpowder goes bang, the ’proof’ of the alcohol strength is at least 100 proof (114 US proof) or 57% alcohol by volume. Therefore, gunpowder was used as the test for ’proving’ there was the expected level of alcohol in the clear liquid. On my evenings, I work on the basis that there are 3 main types of Gin: Standards, Character (encompassing all of the various fashionable gins with their plethora of flavours) and finally, the category that I reserve for the very best, including Navy Strength - Stand-alone Gins. When Plymouth reintroduced a 57% bottling in 1993, Murphy supplied them with a term which neatly summarized the historical reasons for choosing this strength: “navy strength.” This made for much more appealing branding than the cumbersome designation “100º UK.” The term has since spread to a few other bottlings of gin and at least one rum.This under-appreciated tiki drink requires a gin powerful enough to stand up to its strong flavors. Classically made with gin, lemon juice, orgeat, passion fruit puree or syrup, Velvet Falernum, and crushed ice, Ford suggests using navy strength spirit and swapping in a dash of blue curacao for the Falernum. Martini Thanks to the Royal Navy, it’s a designation most closely associated with rum and gin. Rum because it was a daily ration for every sailor of rank. And gin because it was a favorite of naval officers from the Napoleonic Wars and onward. To qualify as “navy strength,” gin has to be at least 114 proof (or 57 percent alcohol). But there’s more to it than that, as is becoming abundantly obvious by the growing number of navy strength gins appearing on the market.

Officers’ Reserve began as a company-only indulgence. “Marko Karakasevic, who is a friend of mine and the master distiller at Charbay, where we bottle Fords Gin, has secretly been enjoying an over-proof version of Fords for a few years now,” Ford says. “We bottled a sneaky few cases for ourselves as we found it to be so delicious. Marko felt it was selfish of me not to release it.” Use of extra strength gin means that less is required, and the mixed gin and tonic is better/more sparkling. Gathers information for WordPress by themselves, first party analytics tool about how WP services are used. A collection of internal metrics for user activity, used to improve user experience. Navy Strength is in my opinion, the Quintessential Gin. It is perfect, and is my 'benchmark' when we are running Gin-tasting evenings at my club. It’s a classification of booze that conjures up images of sailors swapping stories on peril, providence and prurience. Of the ships they steered and the rations they held dear. Of a more thoroughbred brand of men who, let’s be honest, could drink any landlubbing swain under the table.

Consider this similar product...

This cookie is used to a profile based on user's interest and display personalized ads to the users. I enjoy this, usually in a gin and tonic. in my view a good gin and tonic should be cold, sparkling and reasonably alcoholic. Otherwise, there is a rum currently on the market called Pusser’s that claims to be blended to the original ED&F Man & Co. recipe. So it’s a naval rum in style, though it actually isn’t bottled at navy strength. Meanwhile, the only rum (as far as I know) currently bottled at navy strength is Smith & Cross, but it is not stylistically like naval rum. It’s a single-source rum from a particular rum estate in Jamaica, not a multi-source blend. Before a device called the Sikes hydrometer was introduced in 1816, there was no way of precisely measuring the alcoholic strength of spirits. But the British Royal Navy worked out a simple over/under method: they mixed a small sample of the spirit with gunpowder to form a paste and try to ignite it. If the spirit was over a certain strength, the powder would light, and if under, it wouldn’t. It may seem dangerous, but Katz recommends stirring navy strength gin into a 3:1 Martini. He stirs New York Distilling’s Perry’s Tot with Noilly Prat or Dolin Extra Dry vermouth, and garnishes it with a lemon twist. It’s a bracingly strong, gin lover’s Martini. 5 Navy Strength Gins To Try Fords Gin Officers’ Reserve

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment