276°
Posted 20 hours ago

ADHD: A Hunter in a Farmer's World

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Farmers sustain a slow-and-steady effort for hours every day, days every week, weeks every month. While it could be argued that there are bursts of energy needed during harvest time, most Hunters would say that such bursts are nothing compared to chasing a deer fifteen miles through a forest. And the Farmer’s “bursts” need to last all day, often for days or weeks at a time. Even in high gear, a Farmer’s efforts would be characterized as fast-and-steady. In his Ishmael books, author Dan Quinn describes these early hunter-gatherer societies as “living in the hand of god.” They lived in food-rich environments and their food-acquiring efforts were limited to a few hours a day or a few days a week. No need to think of time in long cycles.

Although it’s true, we live in a farmer’s world, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t still space and a need for us hunters.In The Edison Gene, Thom Hartmann argues that children who possess ADHD characteristics are neurologically wired to give them brilliant success as innovators, inventors, explorers, and entrepreneurs — alluding to notable figures such as Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Richard Branson, and Michael Phelps — all who have been diagnosed with or exhibited typical traits of ADHD. Looking Forward There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry. There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. This (ADHD: Hunter in a Farmer’s World) is a book that belongs in the hands of every educator, counselor, doctor, and parent.” They’ll face danger that “normal” individuals would avoid. A wounded boar, or elephant, or bear, can kill you—and many a Hunter has been killed by his would-be prey. If you extend this analogy to warfare, where the Hunters are often the front line infantry or the most aggressive officers, the same is true. Hunters take risks. When the condition is so widely distributed, inevitable questions arise: Why? Where did ADHD come from? The answer is: people with ADHD are the leftover hunters, those whose ancestors evolved and matured thousands of years in the past in hunting societies.

The ceiling and walls of our lives are the I’m not/I can’t stories. They tell us who we’re not, and what we’re not capable of. I could never go bungee jumping; I can’t speak in public; I’ll never be able to get a management job; I’m no good at math , and so on. Yet that’s precisely what happens to most ADHD Lookouts in today’s classrooms and offices. If they look out the window (as their instincts demand), they’re scolded for not being good, attentive Farmers. Thom Hartmann is a progressive radio talk show host, author, and retired businessman who was born and grew up in Michigan. People with a confused timeline, though, will spot these events all over the place, often seemingly in random places.

Hartmann T, Jo Palladino L (2005) The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child. Park Street Press, UK.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment