276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Samsung AU9000 55 Inch 4K Smart TV (2021) - Slim Ultra HD TV With Alexa Built-In, Game Mode, Motion Xcelerator Turbo, 4K Crystal Processor, Dynamic Crystal Colour, Object Tracking Sound – UE55AU9000

£499.5£999.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Max light output HDR (high dynamic range) while displaying small white square taking up 10% of the screen (measured in Nits)

Colours can be bold and vivid when required (I found more-or-less any sports team’s kit falls into this category), or muted and nuanced if necessary (more-or-less any sports team’s manager’s clothing, for example). Gradations made me sit up and pay attention too – so when I was watching football, the numerous almost-identical shades of green from a pitch are described and differentiated well. Motion looks reasonably natural too, once you’ve swapped the over-enthusiastic, noisy-looking Auto Picture Clarity setting for a calmer Custom mode where Judder Reduction is set to around three or four. There does seem to be a little more residual resolution loss in areas of fine detail during camera pans than we’d typically expect from a Samsung TV, but overall it’s still a good effort. The OS and Smart TV system on the AU9000 is the excellent Tizen 6.0 system which has been around for a number of years now. It is fast and stable with an excellent selection of terrestrial catch-up applications, as well as the major services such as Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and Apple TV+ to name a few. There are also other options such as Samsung TV+ which collates the best TV and catch-up items for you and you can also control the Samsung using Alexa, Bixby or Google Assistant.What it does do quite comprehensively, though, is make the source point of sound vague and hazy. And while there are worse-sounding TVs out there, there aren’t that many that sound as resolutely matter of fact and unengaged as the 50AU9000. Closer in on the action, there’s still plenty of intensity to the colours, if not quite the same subtlety as we saw at 4K. There are plenty of layers to the blue of Electro’s pulsing form, the yellow of the New York taxis is as we’d expect and the bright red and blue of Spidey’s outfit looks great against the night-time streets.

If you want to connect your TV to a blu-ray player, games console, soundbar or soundbase then you'll need a HDMI cable. To start, I think it is important to cover the expectations on image quality and the use cases for the Samsung AU9000. It is not a TV for critical film or HDR viewing due to the inherent limitations of the TV and the LED LCD technology being used. It is simply not bright enough to provide HDR with full dynamic range and the colour performance is not quite wide enough compared to the higher-end models but, once you are aware and accept these limitations, we can assess the AU9000 fairly. There's a TU8500 model that sits between it and the company's QLEDs, and perhaps that will be even better, but it's rather hard to imagine it - or any other TV for that matter - proving to be a bigger bargain this year than the excellent, affordable TU8000. Percentage luminance drop at 20 degree vertical angle from the centre of the screen with 100% white outputThe Samsung AU9000 isn’t the first TV to deliver a sound quite strongly at odds with the pictures it is capable of serving up, and it won’t be the last. But nevertheless, I discovered that there is something quite dispiriting about the Samsung’s sonic performance.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment