276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sixteen Horses

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Simultaneously captivating but at the same time, deeply disturbing, Sixteen Horses by Greg Buchanan gives a new meaning to the word ‘UNNERVING’. In the previous nine years there were a total of 17 who fell or were unseated over the first two fences. Cooper arbeitet mit DI Alec Nichols zusammen, auch er hat keinen geraden Lebenslauf, war bereits wegen Depressionen in Therapie. Who could possibly be responsible for this macabre act, mutilating, murdering and decapitating the horses, horses that belonged to several different owners?

Sandy Thomson, trainer of first-fence fatality Hill Sixteen, is adamant the 15-minute delay caused by protesters to the start of the 175th Randox Grand National at Aintree was the major contributory factor to the horse’s fall. Als u niet wilt dat wij en onze partners cookies en persoonsgegevens voor deze aanvullende doeleinden gebruiken, klik dan op ' Alles weigeren'. From its grizzly opening onwards, Greg Buchanan’s debut Sixteen Horses owes much more to the British gothic tradition than to crime fiction. When Sgt Alec Nichols and forensic vet Dr Cooper Allen join forces to investigate what has happened to the unfortunate beasts, further crimes – disappearances, arson, mutilations – bring long-buried secrets and guilt to light, along with the discovery of a deadly pathogen in the soil, resulting in quarantine. Und übt eine morbide Faszination und Sogwirkung auf mich aus, der ich mich beim Lesen nicht entziehen konnte.

Ein Jahr zuvor war Cooper als externe Expertin zum sonderbaren Fund von 16 vergrabenen Pferdeköpfen nach Ilmarsh an die englische Küste gerufen worden. Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog.

I fully understand why there is a lot of anger directed towards the protesters today by my industry colleagues and lovers of the sport. Alex Michaelides, author of The Silent Patient Original, beautifully written, terrifying and haunting. Greg Buchanan's debut is a chilling slow burn of a literary mystery that ventures into gothic and horror territory, set in the dying English seaside town of Illmarsh with many living precarious and impoverished lives. It is rare that I plummet to the depths of a 2 star review but I struggled to engage with Sixteen Horses on multiple fronts. Photograph: Craig Cozart/Alamy Greg Buchanan’s Sixteen Horses is ‘existentially depressing as only a drizzly afternoon in a dying English seaside town can be’.But that is actually just the beginning of the problems, because an unknown killer is out there: someone really twisted and demented. Die Handlung ist weder gradlinig noch leicht nachvollziehbar und bietet viel mehr als einen einfach Kriminalfall. Its fractured, staccato writing disorientates and there were times I had to re-read sentences to make sure I had understood. Of the 118 arrests, 65 people were taken into custody and “are being processed and will be bailed pending further inquiries”, officers added.

Clearly, those who find animal cruelty difficult to read about will not find this an easy read and I think that some may just find it too harrowing – cosy crime it isn’t.

There is no path of least resistance to this book, it creeps up in you in ways I can’t describe and in the end, when all is said and done, the almost dreamlike feel to the read will linger with you. A literary thriller from a stunning new talent,Sixteen Horsesis about enduring guilt, trauma and punishment, set in a small seaside community the rest of the world has left behind. and means that although you can guess who the killer is, you are never given any actual clues and reasons before the “big” reveal. However, the rest of the book reads like a prelude - and I couldn’t help thinking this will be a first book in a series about a quirky crime investigator who is not a police officer but a vet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment