276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Return Of The Timewaster Letters (Tom Thorne Novels)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Find sources: "Robert Popper"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( July 2016) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Only the fact that life is so often stranger than invention can have prevented these people from spotting that Cooper's letters were obviously spoofs. He writes to the publishers Dorling Kindersley proposing his children's book, 'Kelly Telly and his Smelly Belly'; the United Kingdom Spoon Collectors' Club; the Ball and Roller Bearing Manufacturers' Association for advice on his son's uncontrollable ball bearing fetish, as well as more prominent bodies such as Ikea and the Liberal Democrats. Audible has commissioned Popper, Dawn French and Peter Serafinowicz to read out the letters, which were written by Popper, using the pen name Robin Cooper, in 2005 and 2007. In addition to the two Timewaster books, The Timewaster Letters Compendium features a host of audio exclusive content, including many of Popper's ridiculously silly prank telephone calls, in which he poses as Robin Cooper. There's also an introduction by Popper himself, a fun, informative conversation between Popper and Peter Serafinowicz all about the history of The Timewaster Letters, and a world exclusive with The Cement Murder Mystery, the first thriller story (and possibly the world's worst thriller story) penned by Robin Cooper himself, and read by Jonathan Keeble.

Robert Popper said: “I’m sorry I’m not available to comment, as I have just fallen under some ice”. Popper created, wrote and produced six series of the Channel 4 sitcom Friday Night Dinner. Series 1 aired from February to April 2011 and won the Rose D'or Award for Best Sitcom. It received two BAFTA nominations and four British Comedy Award nominations.Now comes a new generation of 'wits' and standards have clearly fallen. Robin cooper has also had the idea of writing provocative, obviously spoof letters to various people and organisations and printing both sides of the correspondence. i say 'obviously' spoof because of the low standard of deceptive prose, but the victims seem not to spot it. Audible secured worldwide English language audio rights to The Timewaster Letters Compendium, from Jo Unwin at JULA Ltd.

Robert has written on a number of shows, including BBC’s BAFTA-winning Harry & Paul, and The Peter Serafinowicz Show. He has also script-edited some of the country’s most exciting comedy programmes, including the multi award-winning The Inbetweeners, Graham Linehan’s EMMY award-winning IT Crowd, Peep Show series 5, 6 & 7 and Him & Her. Audible, the world’s leading provider of spoken-word entertainment, is to release The Timewaster Letters Compendium by Robert Popper (aka ‘Robin Cooper’) on 18th February 2021. The production brings together the cult classics The Timewaster Letters and Return Of The Timewaster Letters in audio for the first time, with Dawn French, Peter Serafinowicz and Popper performing. There are a few moments that raised the odd smile – I liked his letter to the Halibut Society, for instance, and I did laugh out loud once (but only once – and I forget why). The humour here though just doesn’t work. Cooper simply tries too hard to be funny and it comes out forced, obvious and looking a little pathetic. In an attempt at making the recipients look foolish, all he actually manages to do is to make himself look like a childish, attention seeking, asinine idiot and in actual fact, the beneficiaries come out of this remarkably well. The one time he does get a telling off is when he suggests he paint a new colour he has discovered on a nearby bridge, which receives an angry response about vandalism.In December 2008, Robert set up his own production company, Popper Pictures, to make comedy TV shows. A new audio version of Robert Popper's hit prank books The Timewaster Letters and Return Of The Timewaster Letters has been recorded. It didn't help with the audio version that he put on this high-pitched nasal voice which whilst offset slightly by Dawn French and Peter Serafinowicz (who it turns out has a voice I would listen to all day long) there isn't enough of them to make it worth listening to a voice that makes me feel like someone is assaulting my eardrums. Popper seemed to do this for a laugh in the late ’90s, with the results proving funny enough to add together into this excellent collection of fun. Hurray! The Timewaster Letters

Find sources: "Robert Popper"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( October 2017) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Customer reviews

The Timewaster Letters was a big hit and received endorsements from many celebrities. The reason? It’s bloody funny and ridiculous. The Timewaster Letters Compendium brings together The Timewaster Letters and Return of the Timewaster Letters along with exclusive audio content. There’s a new Introduction by Popper, a chat with Serafinowicz reflecting on the 20 years since Popper sent off his first fateful letter. Plus, a world exclusive - The Cement Murder Mystery, the first thriller story penned by Robin Cooper himself and read by Jonathan Keeble. We don’t want to make promises, but it might also be the worst-written story of all time. More recently he’s written the pretty decent sitcom Friday Night Dinner, but he’s also worked for the often excellent Peep Show.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment