276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Julia and the Shark

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A truly beautiful book, with text and illustrations in perfect harmony. A book to treasure! - Jacqueline Wilson

As Julia settles into their summer, her mother’s search for the shark becomes more and more frantic - she’s running out of time before they have to go home, but her obsession with the creature is beginning to pull her family apart. When Julia decides to save her family, she embarks on a journey through darkness and hope to find her mother again.LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. Tom de Freston’s stunning illustrations perfectly complement the poetry of Kiran Millwood Hargrave’s story’ Cressida Cowell Gevaarlijk water is de spannende jeugdroman van Marte Jongbloed over de Watersnoodramp uit 1953. Dit boek verschijnt in herdenkingsjaar 2023, precies zeventig jaar na de ramp. Julia is 9, but talks like a 15 year old and is more intelligent and knows more facts than the average adult. But then, her relationship with her parents is very much the kind of relationship a 9 year old would have with her parents.

Duik in de fantastische wereld van Mus & kapitein Kwaadbaard in dit debuut van (stem)acteur Kevin Hassing! In 1906, 12-year-old Amihan lives with her mother on the Philippine island of Culion, which would become the largest leper colony in the world. Amihan and her mother share a tranquil life of quiet Continue reading » A gorgeous (both visually and content-wise), heart-rending story. Think this is my favourite middle grade novel I have read so far. The topic of mental health is discussed in such a realistic, open way and although this straightforwardness made the story feel very intense, I think the fact that there is no sugarcoating or stigmatisation of mental health is going to be helpful to any child (and even adults) reading this story. Een aantal teksten, haar dromen, zijn cursief en in de vorm van een haai. Haar dromen worden minder zorgeloos naarmate de dagen in de vuurtoren verstrijken.

Somewhere between the ocean waves and the lighthouse surprises, there’s home for me I felt while reading this short middle grade book. A beautiful, lyrical, uplifting story about a mother, a daughter, and love - with timely themes of the importance of science and the environment. About This Edition ISBN: When her father is required to repair an old lighthouse on a remote island, Julia finds herself on a strange and magical summer holiday. Her mother becomes increasingly determined to find the great Greenland shark – an awesome yet elusive creature that soon fills Julia’s thoughts as well. But when her mother’s determination tips over into obsession, Julia is forced to dive into an adventure with hidden depths and turbulent emotional currents which threatens to submerge them all.

Connor's mum has cancer and life is changing. There is the nightmare, then there is school, where people avoid him, or persecute him. And then there is the immense, mythic Monster. There are so many quotable lines right from the first chapter. I was itching to spread some Kiran Millwood Hargrave magic lines but I was reading an advance reader copy so had to control myself. The themes around mental health were really well written and handled with so much respect and care.

Although the themes are very different, this reminded me a little about one of my all-time favourite books A Monster Calls, with its honest and heartwrenching exploration of a difficult theme through the eyes of a child, coupled with hauntingly beautiful illustrations. That comparison alone is some of the highest praise I can give a book, if you know my feelings on the former. Extra credit goes to Tom de Freston, who's credited as the secondary author, but whose illustrations add an integral level of depth to the story. Julia and her parents have just left their home to spend the summer at a remote lighthouse, far away from anyone they know. Whilst Julia’s Dad is there for work, her marine biologist Mum is there for another reason – she wants to study the elusive Greenland shark, said to live in the waters nearby. In her first collaboration on a novel with her artist husband, Tom de Freston, Kiran Millwood Hargrave — the author of The Girl of Ink & Stars, The Island at the End of Everything and The Way Past Winter — has taken her distinctive, lyrical style far north to the Shetland Islands. Julia and the Shark is a deep dive into the emotional world of a 10 year old girl. It handles mental illness in a very delicate way and does a beautiful job of showing it through the child's perspective. How attuned Julia has become to the moods of her parents even though she doesn't have a full understanding of what's going on felt particularly authentic.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment