276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sonos One SL (White), The powerful microphone-free speaker for music and more

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

To some extent all electronics will have some level of hiss. From my chair I cannot evaluate if your hiss level is abnormal or not. I tend to be abnormally sensitive to this sort of noise (‘buzz’ -- get it) and I’m not annoyed by the SONOS hiss levels. Hiss is usually masked by normal room noises, but if your rooms are very quiet and you sit very close to a speaker, you are more likely to notice the hiss. Unfortunately, once you are sensitized to the hiss, it never goes away and becomes a “ The Princess and the Pea” drama. The hiss is emitted from the speaker drivers, both woofers and tweeters. There is a potential for another type of noise that is generated by the power supply. I don’t consider this noise as being normal. It is not emitted by the speakers and typically emits from the rear of the unit when there is a problem. Normally this noise is above the frequency range of humans, but if, due to a defect the frequency slips down, it may be audible to some listeners. Since high frequency hearing capability varies from person to person and the high frequency limit of humans diminishes with age, there can be some arguments between listeners over this “obvious” noise. Early ultrasonic alarm systems used in schools operated at a frequency that was easily heard by kids, but not audible to adults. There would be running arguments between the distressed kids and the adults about this noise. (‘What noise!!’) When I was younger you’d observe me take a step into a retail store, then abruptly turn and leave. I was repelled by their “ultrasonic” alarm system that had not been turned OFF during business hours. A soft self-generated hissing noise is so common on active speakers that some manufacturers publish the level of self-generated noise for their products. My issue of hissing/white noise was first noticed with my Beam. It was replaced under warranty for a different reason but the hissing remained. All of my previous and also current Sonos equipment experience the same issue. I don’t recall the Play:5 being as bad though. See those little feet –on the side?! It can be positioned upright too, you see, to create a stereo pair comprising two Fives or as part of a home theater system with a Sonos Arc, say. (Image credit: TechRadar) Sonos Five review: Sound quality Under the hood, the speaker array remains exactly the same as its Play:5 predecessor –and Sonos actually makes no bones about this. You're getting the same six custom-designed drivers driven by six class D amplifiers for a combined power output of 120W: three high excursion 10cm mid-woofers across the bottom of the unit and three tweeters above them, two of which are angled outwards.

Find the right music for every moment on Spotify. Search any artist or song, create and share playlists, and get personalized recommendations. Listen on Sonos and control the music with your voice, the Spotify app or the Sonos app. (Requires Spotify Premium account for full features). One more consideration and we'll move on, we promise. It's just that if you were looking to buy a second Sonos Five to create a stereo pair, the KEF LSX stereo speaker system (and brand new LSX II) is closely priced and boasts a more comprehensive connectivity spec-sheet and hi-res capabilities out the box. The more components you add, the stronger the dedicated wireless mesh becomes. Best of all, because it runs independently from your Wi-Fi, the reliability and strength of the signal is unaffected by Wi-Fi dropouts.

The rear of the Sonos Five reveals its power cable, Ethernet and 3.5mm ports –so your turntable is catered for too. (Image credit: TechRadar) Sonos Five review: Features I am a current Sonos product user. I have two Five’s in stereo. I’ve previously had a 1st Gen Beam, two One SL’s and a 1st Gen Play:5. I had the same issue, but worse with Echo Studios. Same with Apple HomePods, not as bad as Sonos though.

Featuring BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), increased memory and an updated processor, the Sonos One is more capable than ever. BLE simplifies first-time set-up by temporarily communicating with your smartphone or tablet (note, BLE does not support audio streaming). The new processor and increased memory give the latest version of the Sonos One greater potential for exciting future updates. You don't get any built-in voice assistant here, unlike the Sonos Beam or Sonos Arc. No Alexa, no Google Assistant, and no Sonos Voice Control. That is because there's no mic at all, which seems a little bizarre given Sonos' recent focus on its proprietary Sonos Voice rollout, but there we are. The name-plate is positioned so that when you flip it to it's upright orientation, it still reads. (Image credit: TechRadar) Sonos Five review: Design The Sonos Five is a hefty beast with a smart, slightly curved grille on the front. (Image credit: TechRadar) I can only imagine that once you can hear these things though, that it’s then difficult to not notice them often, as I too would always be listening out for such unwanted sounds. Anyhow I am personally not noticing such sounds, thankfully🙏

That's not to say it's bass-heavy overall though. Listen to Fontaines D.C.'s Skinty Fia and you'll hear a low-end that, while impactful and unwavering, never bloats or muddies other musical passages such as accordions, drum riffs, angered vocals and keys. So why did it even refresh the product? Well, you're also getting an upgraded processor here, which is key – it signifies that Sonos is likely future-proofing this speaker for potential firmware upgrades, ie. the oft-rumored addition of hi-res music support. So, there's that. With AirPlay, stream directly from your Apple devices or ask Siri to play your favourites from Apple Music throughout your home.

Stream Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, performed by Andre Previn, the London Symphony Orchestra and Vladimir Ashkenazy, and the flute is never harsh through the sparkling and untethered treble. Piano notes are distinct, three dimensional and lilting with enough space around them to shine in a cohesive mix. Prices valid in stores (all including VAT) until close of business on 2nd November 2023. (Some of these web prices are cheaper than in-store, so please mention that you've seen these offers online.)

Scanning file for viruses.

For sound quality, the Sonos Five actually isn't just good value, it's absolutely great value. But it's a case of different strokes for different folks; if Bluetooth streaming is important to you and you own an Android phone, you should look elsewhere.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment