276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bearmouth: WINNER OF WATERSTONES CHILDREN'S BOOK PRIZE 2020 OLDER READERS CATEGORY

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At first glance the phonetic spelling throughout this book can be off putting. But go with it. It’s for a very good reason. As you get a feel for the narrator, Newt, the spelling helps you to find her voice, understand the world in which she lives and the struggles she has to overcome. And with all brilliant reads that i , well and anyone, enjoys , you want that perfect ending don't you? well this delivered for me with that , there were lines said that brought a tear to my eye, and a smile to my face. I thought it all wrapped up really well and was a satisfying end. You were joint winner of the Emerging Writer Award this year. Silly question, I’m sure, but how did that make you feel?

I see that some people love this book but it is not for me and I think the synopsis needs rewriting to make it more accurate and it definitely needs Content Warnings.

I rarely have a soft spot for foreshadowing, but this book uses it effectively. I liked the hinted tidbits that sealed the gap between scenes without disclosing major spoilers. Bearmouth was one of the books recommended to my students by our Book PenPal Holly Race, so I couldn't resist reading it before I passed my copy round to those interested. The Mayker's Prayer, which features prominently in Bearmouth, has been hand-set in metal type and traditionally letterpress printed by Dulcie Fulton of Mostly Flat. These limited editions are printed as they would have been in Victorian times, on a cast iron early 1900s foot-powered treadle press. The print is designed to nestle happily within the book, either as a bookmark or as a little gift.

The Branford Boase judges said :‘Astounding!’; ‘I loved every single second’; ‘plot, story and voice are superb’; ‘I was totally invested in the characters’; ‘interesting, challenging and original’. My thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark and NetGalley for the DRC of “The Gifts”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.I think every writer dreams of publication! I’ve always written and still have some of my creative writing books from when I was at infants’ school (they make for very entertaining reading!). I’ve been writing seriously on and off for a long time, I developed a pilot for Channel 4 Scotland, written award-winning short films and tried out lots of different formats – tv, stage, poems – before settling on novels.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment