276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Enola Holmes: The Case of the Left-Handed Lady: An Enola Holmes Mystery: 2

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I am so, so, so glad I recieved an advance reading of this collection from Andrews McMeel Publishing. In this, the second of the series, Enola Holmes is living in London masquerading as a young miss named Ivy Meshle and working for the famous Perditorian, Dr. Ragostin. What is a "perditorian" you say? Good question, I had to look it up myself. A perditorian is a finder of lost things. And Dr. Ragostin is reputed to be very good at what he does although most people have never heard of him. Ocr tesseract 4.1.1 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 1.0000 Ocr_module_version 0.0.11 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA18841 Openlibrary_edition

Of course, since I watched the movie first, I compared the first book to the movie. I can assure you that the case is a lot more complicated and impressive in the movie. However, in this second book I wasn't sure what to expect, since the movie didn't capture this. And since I was expecting more of a Middle Grade than a Young Adult I was actually quite positively surprised by this second book. Because this was certainly a lot more serious than the first book! Speaking of, I don't know if these are considered MG or YA, but I think they would work for either group. The length is just right for younger middle-grade readers. Still on the run from her brothers, Enola finds a new case, this one about a young Lady of the high society, presumably on the run with a lover. But nothing is as it seems, and with a little help from her still missing mother, Enola manages to avoid traps from her brothers as well as solving the new mystery she's in.Could it be a coincidence? I loved the clever use of flowers to convey messages and the inclusion of excerpts from Enola’s secret notebook at the end of each case. Ho apprezzato non solo l'indagine ma anche il modo in cui viene raccontata, l'idea, l'ingegno e i trucchi utilizzati. Il tutto descritto in maniera sorprendentemente allegra e coinvolgente. Una continuación que resulta tan entretenida como El caso del marqués desaparecido, el primer libro de la saga. La diferencia es que aquí el caso principal está más trabajado, aunque siguió faltando que tuviera un poco más de chispa para llegar a ser adictivo. Eso es lo que me impide darle más puntuación, ya que hasta me parecía que algunos descubrimientos se daban de forma milagrosa. Para mí, lo mejor de esta novela ha sido todo el asunto de Enola intentando evadir a sus hermanos. Now, a digression. YA historical novels from the early 2000s appear to be rather full of a realistic darkness – at least that is the pattern I am noticing! There’s more of an emphasis on the lead’s coming-of-age. El libro tiene un apartado al final con todas las pistas y detalles que nos planteó este libro. Y te enseña a crear un código para enviar mensajes y cómo hacer para decifrarlos. Elocuente, me gustó.

When we left Enola at end of the first book, she had found herself a place to stay in London. In this book, she is in the same lodging place, staying as Miss Meshle. She also has set-up her office under the name of Dr. Ragostin– perditorian – who can find lost people and things. She is still trying to communicate with her mother through the cryptic advertisements in newspapers using the language of flowers. Enola’s inquiring mind and indomitable spirit made me want to spend more time with her. I look forward to hanging out with Enola as she continues to subvert her allotted position in nineteenth century London in future graphic novel adaptations. Segunda aclaración: Ví la película hace unos meses y no me gustó NADA. Pero hoy estamos hablando de la novela gráfica y no de la película.I haven’t met Enola’s mother yet but I love her already. She’s a suffragist who’s schooled her daughter in activities that will be useful, as opposed to those that will facilitate her transformation into a houseplant. Perfect for fans of the film on Netflix this graphic novel adaptation of the Enola Holmes stories is sure to be enjoyed by readers aged 9+ particularly those who enjoy mystery and adventure stories with strong female protagonists and a dash of humour. This collection includes the first three stories in the series, each of which is a highly enjoyable read in it's own right. I especially liked the illustration style used throughout and can see this being a great springboard for developing readers into the broader genre of mystery/detective novels. But with regards to the book itself, while I loved the beautiful illustrations, there was just...really...not much thought put into the details of this book. I mean, they got some things right...but in all seriousness it's not really something I'd read again. The villain has no reason to do what he does (kidnap the girl, all that) other than that he wants power. That's the only reason he garrottes Enola. And that's why he goes out of his way to kidnap a girl who is sure to be searched for because she's important. Like... if he wants power he could just as easily have hypnotized some rando... This guy is not smart.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment