276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Appleton's Railway Guide to the USA and Canada

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love all the book adverts for hotels and clothing etc from 1879 and gives an insight on what was available to the intrepid traveller. He should probably have taken Bradt's USA by Rail guidebook instead and concentrated more on the trains. Appleton's General Guide to the United States and Canada… with Railway Maps, Plans of Cities, and Illustrations. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. Its collections include around 14 million books, along with substantial additional collections of manuscripts and historical items dating back as far as 300 BC.

Age-toned DJ has some minor edgewear with a very small piece missing to top edge near spine - now protected in a purpose-made plastic sleeve. They provide expert and detailed descriptions, disclose all significant defects and/or restorations, provide clear and accurate pricing, and operate with fairness and honesty during the purchase experience. Even though he has not travelled far from Manhattan in 4 programs this series has more about trains than recent European ones and has also appeared to give Mr Portillo a new lease of (railway) life. But my pride was soon humbled, and a sober melancholy was spread over my mind, by the idea that I had taken an everlasting leave of an old and agreeable companion, and that whatsoever might be the future date of my History, the life of the historian must be short and precarious. A facsimile edition of the classic 1879 travel guide—often referred to as “Appleton’s Guide”—that inspired the Great American Railroad Journeys PBS television series with Michael Portillo.And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock will I build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. At the end of the day, any programme about train travel, even with minimum train content is better than no programme, as it could suggest places to go, and things to see, etc. Just connecting the east and west coast with railway was a massive engineering achievement as before heavy goods would have had to go from say New York to San Francisco by ship around South America as there was no Panama Canal in the 1850s. I'm about in between the two of you above and get frustrated when there's more time given over to dancing the Charleston than rail travel. You will need written permission from the rightsholders to copy, distribute, or otherwise use copyrighted materials except as allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Number 46 is at the northern end of Shepherd Market, formerly the location of Shepherds bindery, a five minute walk from Green Park tube station (Jubilee, Victoria and Piccadilly lines) and only slightly more from Bond Street station. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. Etsy’s 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centres that host Etsy.We take intellectual property concerns very seriously, but many of these problems can be resolved directly by the parties involved. Please remember it can take some time for your bank or credit card company to process and post the refund too.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment