276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bananas, Beaches and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The first publisher of Bananas was Pandora Press, a small, innovative feminist British publisher. I was, I confess, nervous when I learned that the American publisher most interested in copublishing it would be a major university press. I thought to myself: Oh, but then activist women and profeminist men will never see the book. I was wrong. I was missing a crucial development: feminists were rising into the ranks of influential editors inside many university presses. Naomi Schneider, now executive editor at the University of California Press, has been a believer in Bananas, making sure that it would be available to a wide and diverse range of interested readers. It was Naomi who convinced me to look anew at all the topics and questions here, to undertake this thorough updating and revision. Only Naomi could have persuaded me. Also on the skilled publishing team that has turned this newly updated manuscript into the handsome book you are holding are Kate Warne, Claudia Smelser, Christopher Lura, Elena McAnespie, and Bonita Hurd. I am indebted to each of them.

Bananas, Beaches and Bases - Scribd Cynthia Enloe - Bananas, Beaches and Bases - Scribd

Contributor, Loaded Questions: Women in Militaries, Wendy Chapkis, ed., Amsterdam: Transnational Institute; Washington: Institute for Policy Studies, 1981. Does Khaki Become You? The Militarization of Women's Lives, London, Pandora Press; San Francisco, Harper\Collins, 1988 (editions have been published in Finnish and Swedish).Smarter. I’ve thought a lot about what it means to become smarter. I don’t think it means simply to become more clever, more facile, more hip. It sometimes means to become more cautious. It certainly means to become more nuanced in one’s explanations. And nuanced does not mean vague. It means capable of describing with clarity the multiple relationships at work and their consequences. Please list any fees and grants from, employment by, consultancy for, shared ownership in or any close relationship with, at any time over the preceding 36 months, any organisation whose interests may be affected by the publication of the response. Please also list any non-financial associations or interests (personal, professional, political, institutional, religious or other) that a reasonable reader would want to know about in relation to the submitted work. This pertains to all the authors of the piece, their spouses or partners. As hard as this will be, it will take all of this imagining-and more-if you are going to make reliable sense of international politics. Stretching your imagination, though, will not be enough. Making feminist sense of international politics requires that you exercise genuine curiosity about each of these women's lives-and the lives of women you have yet to think about. And that curiosity will have to fuel energetic detective work, careful digging into the complex experiences and ideas of domestic workers, hotel chambermaids, women's rights activists, women diplomats, women married to diplomats, women who are the mistresses of male elites, women sewing-machine operators, women who have become sex workers, women soldiers, women forced to become refugees, and women working on agribusiness plantations.

Bananas, Beaches and Bases: A Twenty-five years of Bananas, Beaches and Bases: A

For international politics to operate the way it does, the presence (and absence) of women is crucial. While playing different roles, women make the world work. But given the way power relations operate, women can also remake it – and this remains the main argument of Enloe’s book.

APA

PDF / EPUB File Name: Bananas_Beaches_and_Bases_-_Cynthia_Enloe.pdf, Bananas_Beaches_and_Bases_-_Cynthia_Enloe.epub Enloe continues to illustrate the struggle that feminist movements face in international politics through the domestic service industry. Enloe states that “domestic work is international business with political implications.” During the Industrial Revolution, female domestic workers were in high demand because middle class women believed they needed to protect their own femininity from manual labor. From the time of the Industrial Revolution to modern day, female domestic workers have faced the challenges of being treated as subordinate to the middle class. Female domestic workers continue to have the responsibility of providing for family abroad while facing increasingly strict immigration laws and restrictions from the International Monetary Fund. [17] None of us research and write books in a vacuum. I’m not a writer who heads for the mythical cabin-in-the-woods. All during this digging and composing, I’ve been seeing friends, sharing my puzzles, absorbing their ideas. You know who you are. You are the best. Thanks. Enloe, Cynthia H., 1938- . Papers, 1977-1984: A Finding Aid". Harvard University Library - Online Archival Search Information System (OASIS). Archived from the original on April 3, 2017 . Retrieved June 3, 2014.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment