276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Altra Men's Superior 5 Sneaker, Medium

£33.935£67.87Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you’re using a traditional shoe, you’ll likely feel no difference, but if you’re coming from a minimalist shoe, or other Altra’s, just take note. I’d suggest doing a few short runs first to ensure you’re not going to get any rubbing before heading out on long runs. This shoe is certainly not going to win any awards for its underfoot protection, but the thin, highly flexible feel provided by the Quantic foam midsole has its own appeal. Rest assured, you will be able to feel everything you are stepping on, and this effect suits midfoot strikers far better than heel strikers. It also suits one on shorter runs where the legs are fresh and speed is desired, rather than long runs where tired muscles break down into sloppier technique where the feet take the most abuse. Despite being called a "StoneGuard," the optional insert does little to change this dynamic, except for effecting the fit inside the shoe. Running across hills to test how the padding feels against the ankle bones, and to get a feel for stability. While it remains very flexible, this shoe is one of the most stable due to its wide platform, low to the ground ride, and zero drop.

In the end, it’s simple. If you’re looking for more ground feel, want to shed some weight from your feet, and still feel nimble over technical terrain, then the Superior will be entirely up your street. Altra has three different fits. Original, Standard and Slim fit, with the original fit having the most width and volume. However, it’s worth trying different Altra styles in our experience because it’s not an exact science. For example, the Superior 6 is made in the Standard fit, the same as the previous versions, but in our experience it is as wide as the Lone Peak 7 on the Original fit. To be honest, the shoe could have shed some weight and made a lighter weight shoe by using less material, but as I’ve said before, I appreciate the possibility of getting more miles out of them! If you’re coming from a traditional shoe, you’ll likely not feel much difference here. But if you’ve been an Altra fan in the past, it’s something to take note of. SimilaritiesI’ve never had any rubbing on the heel from the Altra Superior, but that’s not saying too much because it’s not an issue I often face. But it should be known that this heel counter is pretty stiff, for an Altra shoe. If you’re coming from the road lineup, and in particular the Escalante, you’ll notice a big difference in the heel.

Altra also makes all of their shoes with plenty of room in the toe box. If you’ve never ventured into “foot-shaped” running shoes, you’re in for a freeing treat! I loved testing the Altra Superior 5. They fit my feet unbelievably well immediately out of the box and required no break-in period (always a bonus). The sewn-in half tongue design is not my favorite as it makes it more difficult for me to put the shoes on, which is a little annoying. As usual, the sizing also runs slightly large, and runners may want to go a half-size down. Besides those minor critiques, I couldn't find anything wrong with the Superior 5, which is especially true once I got them on the trails. The Superior 4.5 have only made minor adjustments to the 4.0, making the upper slightly more durable. This is a supremely comfortable zero-drop shoe that is minimal in its feeling, allowing one to have an intimate relationship with the trail. It's also one of the more affordable choices on the market today, so presents pretty good value to those who like minimal and zero drop shoes. The Superior has never used the trusty Vibram rubber that other Altra’s have, and that’s a shame. Instead, the in-house MaxTrac rubber is used, and I’m expecting this to be the area that breaks down first.

What You Need To Know

TAYLOR: The minimalist movement lives on through the Superior 5. If that was/is your jam, this shoe will be your defense against the tidal wave of HOKA-esque midsoles on the market. Coming from truly barefoot shoes, I was missing a lot of ground feel, and that’s something to expect. At the end of this post, I’m also giving my super simple formula to help you decide which shoe is for you! What’s Different about Altra’s?

The Altra Superior 5 is a shoe best suited for runners who want a fast and light shoe that offers great traction and a strong sense of connection with the trail. Who should NOT buy the Superior 5 Over the past few years, shoemakers have poured resources into developing newer and better cushioning foams, and Altra is no exception. The company uses three main cushioning materials in its shoes: Ego, Ego Max, and Ego Pro. (Quantic, another cushioning material the brand developed, is being phased out.) ALEX: I really like the updates on Superior 5. While they are a little too light and flexible for my longer efforts, I will be reaching for these for my shorter runs up to 10 miles and my post-long run hikes. If you’re new to Altra, it’s worth noting two specific (and unique) elements that set Altra apart from the other running shoes on the market.For die-hard Altra fans, I don’t think the slight increase in toe box width will be noticeable, but for those that have never run in Altras, it may feel slightly clown-shoe-like. I truthfully have no qualms with the shoe, as I really feel it shines at what it does (fast running for sub-ultra trail distances with a protective-enough midsole). Shop Altra Superior 5 – Men Shop Altra Superior 5 – Women Altra Superior 5 Conclusion In summary the Superior 5 is as comfortable as the previous versions but, tweaked to make it better for longer runs than the previous version. In the past, I’ve had Altra’s where I’ve ripped out the side walls in 400km, and whereas some people believe that’s a reasonable distance for a shoe, I feel we need to push shoe companies further to build more sustainable and durable shoes.

The upper material has also changed. The new mesh is designed to be more resistant to abra sion f rom the trail and dry faster. There is no plastic in the heel cup, so the heel of the shoes takes the shape of your heel. As in the previous m odel, the tongue wraps around and reduces the chance of getting debris in the shoes and helps give a nice comfortable fit. The toe box of the Superior 5 has less height. So, the Superior 4.5 felt more roomy initially and it felt like my toes where able to move more freely. The toe box of the Superior 5 doesn’t have the overlays that the Superior 4.5 has and there is a little bit of stretch in the mesh. Once running in the Superior 5 they felt plenty roomy and not at all restrictive in the toe box.If you’re unsure which Altra trail shoe is for you, I’ve got you covered. Head over to my Altra trail running shoe round-up post, and I’ll lay out the exact formula for you to decide. For a trail running shoe, it is exceptionally light (8.8 oz/249g). Most trail shoes have an average weight of 10.4oz/296g. Brooks Catamount 2: Light and flexible for a Brooks shoe but, not as flexible as the Superior. So, you don’t get as much foot function. The feel for the ground is similar. https://www.northernrunner.com/blog/brooks-catamount-2-review/ The new upper is just a little bit better fit, not any little bunching here, just a little bit more opportunity for it to sort of fit and feel good around your shoe around your foot. Today we’re going to look at two top trail shoes from Altra that have been the cornerstones of the trail running shoe lineup for nearly 10 years now. They both share similarities, but they target a slightly different terrain, and the fit can sometimes be the ultimate decider.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment