276°
Posted 20 hours ago

365 Bedtime Stories (Gift Books)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While many books have an individual story for each day, in this book the stories are all somehow linked to the families on Trufflescootums Boulevard (aka "What A Jolly Street"), which is a cul-de-sac across from a school, with a little grocery on the corner, up against a sizable creek, with farmland and an orchard right near. Some of the stories, while complete, have a "to be continued" feel that spreads over a few days or an even longer time (one "mystery" lasts months), which gives the book as a whole surprising depth, IMHO. This is a time when spaghetti is an exotic food and all the moms are homemakers and it's very much another era, yet many of the lessons and activities shown are timeless. As a preschooler in the early 1960s, I dearly loved this book. In 2020 I still remember it with fondness. During the night there had been a heavy snowfall. Before Oliver’s mum could drive him to playschool, she first needed to shovel the snow away from her car. Oliver gave her a hand. With the broom, he swept the bumpers clear. They’d soon got rid of the snow. Mum turned the key in the ignition, but the car didn’t start. Mum sighed and tried again. But nothing happened. How am I going to get to playschool? asked Oliver sadly. I’ve got an idea, said Mum. She climbed out of the car to bring the sledge out of the garage. On you climb, young man! she said cheerfully. Today, Mum’s taxi is a sledge. S.St. 12 January Looking for winter supplies

Which did not bother my child-self at all (I just assumed the artist wasn't accurate), while my adult self sees the location as so idyllic and unreal I can still see it as such a mixed-race neighborhood despite the 1950s midwest setting. Heh. If you think that elves only dance on warm summer nights, you don’t know everything there is to know about them. You see, elves also love the winter. When it’s bitterly cold and icy outside, and the frost is pinching everyone’s nose, the elves celebrate their winter festival. In an endless round, the snow crystals drift down from the sky and land on the ground with a gentle, silver sound. Only elves have ears sharp enough to hear the music of the snow. When the snowflakes begin to dance, the elves too begin to dance. What they like doing best is to hover over the freshly fallen snow on which there is not yet a single human footprint. Very gently, the hems of their clothes graze the brilliant white snow and leave behind light traces, as if the wind had breathed upon the covering of snow. From the roofs there hang icicles, all in a row like the chimes of a xylophone. The elves play music on them – plinkety plonkety! And if you don’t believe this, then break off an icicle and take a close look. You’ll see everything that happened last night, caught inside it as if on a film. I.A. 5 January Visit to Mother Hulda Charlene Taylor and the Online Distributed Proofreading Team at https: //www.pgdp.net (This file was produced from images generously made available by The Internet Archive/American Libraries.) Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth Melissa was sitting on the sofa reading a book. For some reason, the sofa felt a bit uncomfortable today. All lumpy-bumpy. Melissa lifted up the cover and saw five little shaggy green monsters crouching underneath. Who are you? she asked in amazement. But the monsters just laughed in her face. Just you wait! said Melissa. She got out the vacuum cleaner and tried to vacuum the monsters up. But they simply fastened their claws into the cushion and grinned at Melissa. Okay! Fine! said Melissa. If that’s the way you want it … Then she called on the secret anti-monster weapon which fills all monsters with fear and dread. Melissa roared as loud as she could, Muummmyyy! Suddenly, the little monsters evaporated into thin air. The cowards were scared of grown-ups! Feeling pleased with herself, Melissa opened her book again. At last she could look at the pictures without being disturbed. S.H. 3 January The birthday dwarfWhat are you up to? dwarf Sven asked his friend dwarf Steve, who was making snowballs and piling them up into a neat little heap. I’m collecting snowballs, Steve replied. And what are you going to do with them? asked Sven inquisitively. I’m making a snowball trap for giants. It was snowing. The blue tit sat on a twig in the shelter of a fir tree and stared out at the falling snow. I wish it were spring, she sighed, and shook the snow from her feathers. But winter is fantastic! piped up the cheeky sparrow.

urn:lcp:365bedtimestorie00gilb:epub:2eecc6bf-2c1d-479e-9a89-e471c2aeb0d5 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier 365bedtimestorie00gilb Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t6sx74j2b Lccn 55039147 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.16 Openlibrary_edition What are you looking for? An owl, sitting in the tree and waiting for nightfall, opened his eyes and blinked in the winter sun. I’m looking for the nuts that I buried somewhere around here in the autumn, replied Fuzzy. I’m sure they’re under the big oak tree, said the owl, and yawned. Spaghetti is a weird ethnic food that children don't like, in one story set in June. About a month later one of the children declares that spaghetti and meatballs is her favorite dinner. Written years apart, pre- and post-Chef Boyardee? In November, there are two stories for Veteran's Day, one of which is clearly an Armistice Day story with a couple lines added for Veteran's Day. This is the only reference to WWII in the entire book, and elsewhere WWI is called "The World War".Reading to your child can be great fun and especially so at bedtime when it can be a delightful ritual enjoyed by parents and children alike. These 365 bedtime stories contain enough reading material for an entire year, providing a short, amusing, exciting or surprising story to read aloud at bedtime and help your child fall asleep. From fairy tales, ghost stories, animal adventures to episodes based on childrens' normal, day-to-day activities, there is something to suit every taste and guarantee a year full of pleasant dreams! The evidence suggests that these stories were written between the First and Second World Wars (most likely the 1930s), possibly for serialization, and were updated for this collection published in 1955. The Watsons' pet monkey (why is the author fascinated with that stupid monkey?) is a retired organ grinder's monkey. NYC banned organ grinders in 1936. Fuzzy the squirrel was hopping through the park, digging holes in the snow. After a while, she squatted sadly on the branch of a tree and sighed, Oh dear, I’m never going to find them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment