276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Blues Album

£5.01£10.02Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Oh good, because that is what we wanted. To be honest, it is a live performance, as Josh said. We were talking about production techniques and he said, ‘What production techniques? You can’t get any more live than this. We used a live band in a live studio with the same amps, everything’s been done live.’ Joanne: I really do. And I think actually having this time off has enabled me to see that more and lift the fog that had come over me for a bit. It’s really rewarding. I think more than anything to know that you’ve created something that people enjoy. They work hard all week and they want to spend their hard earned money on coming to your show. I’m not curing cancer or anything, but it’s nice to know you’re doing something positive, you know? Joanne Shaw Taylor releases new single If That Ain't A Reason produced by Joe Bonamassa — Decibel Report" (Press release). 9 July 2021 . Retrieved 23 July 2021– via Decibel Report.

Martine: You are good friends with Joe Bonamassa. What was it like working with a good friend who’s so talented and who’s kind of in charge? I read that you trust him implicitly. Was it a grand experience from beginning to end?

Side guide

We wanted to make a tough vocal centric straight blues record that showcases Joanne’s amazing talent but in a slightly different light," explains Bonamassa. “Joanne is a dear friend and a superstar. Josh and I focused on testing her limits and pushing boundaries that might not have occurred before. It's all about making a statement and having the listener want to play the music repeatedly." Having Joe Bonamassa on the hook to produce an album, did he bring much of his collection along and did you use anything from the Nerdville archive? a b "Biography by Richard Skelly". AllMusic. Archived from the original on 11 January 2015 . Retrieved 1 October 2011. Dirty Truth – Joanne Shaw Taylor – Releases". AllMusic. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016 . Retrieved 22 September 2014.

On the new album, I mostly played my own guitar, my 1966 Esquire ‘Junior’,” says Joanne. “I tried to use a few of Joes Tele’s, but they’re set up for much bigger hands than mine. I did use Joe’s vintage amps - I believe one of his 60’s Vibroverbs mixed with a fumble overdrive for pretty much all of it. We didn’t use any pedals.” The merry shuffle of The Fabulous Thunderbirds `Two Time My Lovin’ with its bouncing bass line and sweet choral parts zooms through effortlessly before Shaw Taylor hits her peak vocally on `I Don’t Know What You’ve Got’, and is joined on the Choruses by Mike Farris. The guitar and horn parts allow room for her voice to truly sparkle here without being drowned out.Joanne Shaw Taylor just released her lauded new album, The Blues Album, produced by Joe Bonamassa and Josh Smith, out on KTBA Records. The record features Joanne’s personalized covers of 11 rare blues classics originally recorded by Albert King, Peter Green, Little Richard, Magic Sam, Aretha Franklin, Little Milton and more. Joe made it known from the get-go that his main objective for this album was to push me as a singer,” recalls Joanne. “Obviously, Joe has seen me perform many times over the years and knows my voice well. I think he felt that he could my vocal performance more, and get more out of it, especially since I’d had over a year to rest my vocal cords.” I phoned Joe and said, ‘You do realise that I am not bringing anything except for one guitar?’ And he said, ‘Well that’s helpful because I don’t own any!’ The funny thing is, we used his amps, which he selected without talking to me – and I say that because I am fine with that situation. He selected a 1962 Deluxe Reverb, I believe, and one of his Dumble Overdrive amps and then blended the two. Joanne: That’s where it got a bit more interesting actually. Being female, that opened up my love of music, really. Because I was listening to all male guitar players but realized I couldn’t sing like them. I had to go find other influences. Tina Turner was a big one. Aretha Franklin. Absolutely love Ella Fitzgerald, but I’m very aware that I’m nothing like Ella Fitzgerald. Mavis Staples. A lot of the soul, Motown.

HIGHLY ANTICIPATED ALBUM PRODUCED BY GUITAR LEGENDS JOE BONAMASSA & JOSH SMITH, SET TO RELEASE WORLDWIDE ON BONAMASSA’S INDEPENDENT LABEL KTBA RECORDS We were both adamant that I got one tone and play it across the whole album, because that’s a bit more traditional It goes without saying that the production team of Joe Bonamassa and Josh Smith are at the top of their game. They recently produced new albums for Joanna Connor, Jimmy Hall, and Eric Gales. Joanna Connor’s album, 4801 South Indiana Avenue, met with great critical acclaim worldwide, was the second album released on Bonamassa’s independent label KTBA Records and debuted at #1 on the Billboard Blues Chart. Obviously, Joe is in the control room, but he played on the whole album. He played rhythm guitar, and we did one duet, which surprised me because I thought he would leave that to Josh. It was quite nice to have those two guitar players with me. I didn’t have to play any rhythm guitar on this, which was so easy – and I doubt I will ever play rhythm guitar or write my own songs again because was so much more relaxing to make [Laughs]. Joanne Shaw Taylor signs album deal with Sony/Silvertone". Recordoftheday.com . Retrieved 16 May 2018.

He was already acting as a mentor as well as an unofficial producer on The Blues Album, so I asked him if he’d fancy the job, officially,” says Joanne. “Thankfully, he accepted. The Blues Album has been everything I hoped it would be. It’s been a labor of love, overseen by an artist, producer, and friend who I trust beyond measure.

The Little Richard ballad [I Don't Know What You've Got] was a big one, because I always loved that song; I like the subject matter. I think we have all been in that position where we have fallen in love with someone and think, ‘Why am I in love with this person? They are an arsehole.’ Y’know!? [Laughs] And I think he approaches that subject very well. Yeah, his guitar playing to me is like a singer, particularly in his phrasing. The thing is, for me, one is as equally important as the other. Look at the giants in this genre, like the three Kings, Howling Wolf or Muddy Waters, or Luther Allison; they were brilliant singers. Ignoring the guitar playing, they could have been professional singers, so I think people don’t realise how equally important it is. It is two voices that sort of come together to sell you a song.” When the pandemic put the brakes on from musicians from touring during 2020 and most of 2021, Joanne thought it was the right time to head into the studio to record The Blues Album. Slowing a little bit, “Let Me Down Easy” has its mood set by the fingered guitar chords and flawless horn lines. “Scraps Vignette” is an instrumental interlude where Joanne performs one of her unmistakable solos. “Stop Messin’ Round” and “Three Time Loser” feature amazing piano solos and probably the most powerful vocal performances by Joanne on the album. The closing song is The Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “Two Time My Lovin’”. A guitar is a funny thing, though, it is all feel. It can be like a well-worn pair of jeans and just fits you just right.

Barcode and Other Identifiers

Taylor's albums via Ruf Records, White Sugar (2009) and Diamonds in the Dirt (2010), peaked at No. 8 in the US on the Billboard Top Blues Albums chart. Her No. 1 album, The Blues Album (2021), was released via Joe Bonamassa's Keeping the Blues Alive Records. THE BLUES ALBUM” SHOWCASES TAYLOR’S ELECTRIFYING GUITAR CHOPS AMPLIFIED BY HER MAGNIFICENT SULTRY VOCALS Joanne Shaw Taylor | Discography". AllMusic. Archived from the original on 4 January 2015 . Retrieved 10 November 2013. The record feels a little like a live blues set. Maybe it is because you used the one guitar across the whole record, or with the choice of covers and the performances.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment