276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Audeze LCD-X Over Ear Open Back Headphone new 2021 version Creator Package with carry case

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While the technical performance is vastly different, their tuning is really different, and that makes this comparison really interesting. Welcome to a comprehensive review of the Audeze LCD-X headphones, where we’ll delve into all aspects that matter to audio enthusiasts and discerning listeners. Audeze is a high-end audio headphone manufacturer based in Costa Mesa, CA. Established in 2009, they have grown from a garage based startup to one of the most innovative audio companies in the past few years. LCD-X was first introduced in 2013. Today, the updated LCD-X, more commonly referred to as LCD-X 2021, leverages patented Audeze technologies, including Ultra-Thin Uniforce™ diaphragms, Fazor waveguides, and powerful neodymium magnets to deliver extremely accurate and detailed sound. The sophisticated planar magnetic drivers achieve high efficiency with low impedance, such that LCD-X can deliver great sound from nearly any device with a headphone output. Audeze also lowered the weight for increased comfort. It features a suspension headband for even weight distribution, and highly-cushioned premium ear pads for support.

The SR-009 can be bright; one can argue that the LCD-X are actually more neutral. I didn't compare the LCD-X to the STAX SR-007 Mk II, which are warmer and might sound much more similar to the LCD-X. The tonal qualities of pianos, brass instruments, and woodwinds are faithfully reproduced, allowing you to appreciate the full range of harmonics and overtones that these instruments produce.

Help Me Help You

The next major step in my quest was to explore computer audio, where I had the possibility of installing many music files using the program JRiver Media Center 19 as my player/server. This, of course, is a monumental deviation from the simple iPod approach, since high-resolution files could now be played with my computer rig. As my friends and close colleagues would tell you, I’ve never stopped pursuing every aspect of audio reproduction, ultimately looking for greater sonic realizations of live music. This time it happened with headphones instead of loudspeakers. In listening I heard the LCD-3 as the smoothest; the LCD-2 as slightly grainy; and the LCD-X as...well, more neutral sounding...having less "character" than the other two. One thing that's a bit concerning to me is the latest can's tendency to drop off in the bass. The latest LCD-3, and to a lesser extent the latest LCD-2, show a modest loss of some bass extension. Some of these differences may be pad materials, but I did hear the LCD-X and LCD-2F hitting a just a little harder on the low thumps. I am happy to strongly recommend the Audeze LCD-X 2021 revision with equalization. Without it, it is a pass for me. The LCD-X’s soundstage will also be examined to see how it immerses you in your music, creating a sense of spaciousness and realism.

Blue-coded mini-XLR for left channel (¼" plug tip) and red-coded mini-XLR for right channel (¼" plug sleeve).

Sound

Unlike the LCD-3, I was able to audition the new “X” roughly a week after it was released. Even better, I was able to get a unit home for a review. Exciting times and though I was hoping for an XC review as well, I figured I’d write a SHORT impression on what I have right now. For many years now I’ve recommended around 3: HIFIMAN’s Ananda, Audeze LCD-2, and Dan Clark’s Aeon Flow (For a closed option). For creating music and other audio content, what you hear is what you got. These are completely transparent. The only potential gotcha is that nothing other than the most advanced speakers or other planar magnetic headphones can reproduce deep bass as flawlessly as these headphones do, and otherwise they are completely neutral and uncolored.

Let’s start with the detail retrieval – surprisingly, they are just about the same in this regard. Both are flawlessly detailed both in micro and macro scale, providing a very crisp and high-fidelity sound. Where they do differ is in the specific frequencies.

What do you think about them?? What about the LCD-2C? Would you consider investing in those? Let me know!!

The treble is probably where the biggest difference starts to show. While the LCD-X 2021 sounds soft and very pleasing in the upper frequencies, the HEDDphone is shinier, more forward, and crispier sounding. It’s not harsh or unpleasant sounding though, as the resolution of the entire HEDDphone is better than the LCD-X 2021, thanks to that wonderful AMT driver. Having in mind the price difference, I must admit that both the LCD-X and the HEDDphone are very, very impressive, and you can’t go wrong with either. The LCD-X have completely natural, bottomless bass with solid response to well below the audible or music ranges. It's easy to damage your hearing. If your ears start ringing or buzzing, even long after you've been listening, cool it for a while. Every breath, nuance, and subtle inflection in the singer’s voice is unveiled, enhancing the emotional connection to the music.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment